Cruise for 10 and 12 year olds

KandCsailing

I'm trying to find the best cruise line to entertain a high energy girl (10) and an autistic boy (12). My SIL (recently widowed) wants to try a cruise for them, myself and maybe my DH as a much needed break. DH and I have never cruised with kids, so haven't paid that much attention to the different programs. We have only cruised Carnival, but are more than willing to try any line. Thank you for any advice.

I know there is a cruiser on the Carnival boards that travels with an autistic child and she will probably have good advice for you. You may want to post this question on the Family cruising board, as there are many people that post there that may have great suggestions for you. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Off the top of my head, at least for the high energy girl, RCCL's Freedom or Voyager class, or Carnival would be good fits.

Hi, DS is older and would be considered very mildly autistic now, but travel was more of an issue when he was younger. We have cruised with him and his sisters several times (he is 15 now). He enjoys the Royal Caribbean ships...there is a lot to do if one doesn't have a lot of friends to hang out with (he doesn't usually gel with the other kids). He liked the arcade, mini golf, movies etc, even some of the music lounges where he can listen to music and have a coke with his soft drink card. He found the lineups for these things that he liked to be smaller on the Radiance class ships than on the larger ships. My girls also both liked the RCL ships, either the Radiance or Voyager class...there is a lot to do and the ships are beautiful.

They all really liked the Disney ships, and island, as well, its just that as the kids got a little older, they wanted to try something a little "older". I did like that at age 12, you had the option to let the kids sign themselves in and out of the club or not. We chose not to at that time (for our son). So essentially, he was in the club or he was with us...I didn't have to worry about him being unsupervised and we carried the pager so they could reach us if needed.

Depending upon what your son might need, you might want to look into those kinds of details....

I wish you all have the best time on your cruise....

Do you live in Ottawa?

Ali

Archived