Favorite way to spend the day in Cozumel...

stillcruisin'

the NEXT best thing to do in Cozumel is take a snorkel excursion!!!! Before Wilma, you could snorkel right off the beach and see beautiful coral and tons of colorful fish, but it's MUCH better now to go with a local dive operator that offers snorkel excursions. There are MANY to choose from, but I have a really great friend who lives on Cozumel and offers snorkel trips. I have been out with them over 10 times now and can NEVER get enough! You can check them out if you google Eagle Ray Divers.....Chellie and Antonio will take EXCELLENT care of you!:D

After you snorkel, you could rent a car for the day, or hire a taxi and take a tour of the island...it's BEAUTIFUL....all depends on how much time you will have while visiting Cozumel. I was just there last week and it was AWESOME as always!! Have fun!!:cool:

If you don't feel like water activities, get yourself some transportation and head over to the East coast, and laze around in Mezcalitos hammocks, right on the beach. Rolling surf, excellent food, killer margaritas! I doubt they'd care much if you spend the whole day. Just make sure you arrange for a taxi pickup, later in the day. :D

The East coast rocks, if you don't want to snorkel or dive. Mind you, this is not an activity for those who want to actually do anything other than relax, and enjoy the serenity of the surf, breeze, and the occasional good conversation.

What is your very favorite way to spend the day in Cozumel? Any "must-do" excursions or "can't-miss" beaches? I may only get to visit Cozumel once in this lifetime' date=' so I'd love your input on what you enjoyed most and what I should definitely not miss. Thanks![/quote']

I agree with the other posters, if you can't do a two or three tank boat dive or a shore tank or two, and don't care for a great snorkeling experience then the next best way to spend the day on The island is to rent a car and drive the circle. We usually rent from Smart or Less Pay (be sure to check with your insurance agent to see if you are covered in Mexico - often we are) then get the map you got from the ship or off the Cozumel internet web sights http://www.cozumel.net/ or http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Carrent?From=Proprentals there are several other really good sights, and head out.

My first stop would be somewhere on the West side at a beach like Playa San Francisco or Playa Palancar (I believe this is where we see the crocodile in the brackish water behind the parking lot) and enjoy a coke or drink with very pretty views and beaches.

Then I would head to Parque Punta Sur ($10.00 per person park admission) where you can try to spot birds and crocodiles in Laguna Colombia or Laguna Chunchacaab, enjoy the southern most beachs on the island or ( my favorite ) climb the 134 steps to the top of the lighthouse Faro de Celarain which has incredible views of the ocean and Island.

Then it's off again to enjoy the very different and extremely beautiful beaches of the East side of The Island. A stop at Coconuts (which has great views from the cliffs) or Punta Morena either has cold cokes, beer or strong margaritas and good chips with dips or full meals. There are many places to stop and enjoy the views and beaches and we stop often.

Back on the road which turns away from the beach and heads towards town you can stop at the San Gervasio Ruins. Admission is $4.00 with a $1 road access fee. The ruins are small but interesting and there is a lot of Iguana lizards to be seen in the cracks of the ruins.

When you get to town you will come to a Stop Light (Ave 65) where I usually take a left and follow the road until it curves hard to the right all the way back to the area where you began this trip. There is a gas station at this intersection to fill up (keep an eye on these guys :eek: ) and do a little shopping at the cruise ship pier as they usually have the best prices on The Island.

The drive can be completed in 3 to 4 hours or can take all day (my personal preference) and will cost about $100 for up to 5. The car (most hold 5 people) cost around $50, gas about $20 + drinks and admissions.

Hard day to beat anywhere.

Thank you so much for your wonderful responses! I really appreciate your information and am so excited now to see Cozumel!

Anyone else care to add their two-cents worth?

In addition to the fabulous diving, and I guess snorkeling (I don't snorkel), there is some really good eating to be found in Cozumel.

In addition to the fabulous diving, and I guess snorkeling (I don't snorkel), there is some really good eating to be found in Cozumel.

Now you are talking my kind of language.

God put me on this planet Earth to search for the perfect fajita. I've come close a couple of times, but the search is still ongoing.:D

HI...

Our favorite is visiting the east side of Cozumel. You can hire a driver for the day (we used cozumeltours.com, but you will find other sources by searching the board). We had a great time visiting the beaches on the east side and eating lunch at Coconuts... a bar/restaurant on top of a cliff that overlooks the ocean. The east side visit is all we would do now.

Archived