Passport Needed on Golden Princess??

KelleKae

I checked with Princess and have gotten two different answers so I thought I'd go to the "pros" on this board and get the correct answer!! Do we need passports for this itinerary? St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Grenada - Isla Maragarita (maybe those maybe not) and of course San Juan. It's been many years since my last Caribbean cruise. We have passports but traveling mates do not. Thanks again to all who reply -- I LOVE this board!!!:p

For the Caribbean it is much preferrable to have a passport in this post 911 era and I suspect that's what your getting in terms of a response...the cruiseline doesn't not want to get levied fines for improper documentation. Photo issued governement ID for mostpart including a birth certificate is acceptable in most Caribbean countries, but you should look it up on the State Department website for entry requirements for each country on your cruise....hope this helps.

Just went on this cruise in July. It is preferable to have plassports but you are not required to have them at these ports. I did have passport but my daughter did not. She just had the birth certificate and it worked fine. She will be getting a passport however.

Becky

We just returned from the Golden cruise to the Eastern Caribbean and no, we didn't need passports but had them along anyway. Just for your info, we were the last cruise ship to visit Grenada before they were so tragically wiped out by the hurricane. I thought it was the prettiest of the ports and am glad I shopped a lot since their spice crops were also destroyed. I would check with Princess to find out which alternative ports they may visit for your cruise.

We were on this itinerary 8/29 on the Golden. While a passport is not required at any of the stops, it makes the Customs process 376% faster/easier when clearing.

Coming back into St. Thomas (we did a reverse route thanks Frances), we spend no more than 20 seconds at the Customs counter on board.

"Where d'you live?"

"Toronto, sir"

"Thanks, have a nice day"

Done.

A woman to our left was getting quite the interrogation - mind you she spoke little English (had an interpreter), but didnt seem to have a passport.

My recommendation? Spend the money, get the passport, avoid the possible hassles and delays. Les time at Customs = more time on vacation.

Pete

Makes life easier. As I said on a similar thread, they last for ten years and you never know where else you may wish to go at a later date. Besides, your current itinerary could change, who knows when the next hurricane will show its ugly head and then you may be on a mystery cruise. Play it safe with the passport! :)

On our last Caribbean cruise the customs inspector was telling people that they really should get passports to travel anywhere outside of the country. I also have read that a passport is required for the Venezuelan island stop. We are doing this itinerary on the Golden 12/19/04.

Archived