Spring Break - 1st time solo.. please help!

sugarcane

Hi all!

I'm thinking of doing a solo cruise for spring break this year. I've been on two cruises before, the most recent being with RCCL (Explorer of the Seas). I'm a little apprehensive about going alone because I don't really know anyone who has cruised alone and all of the solo cruisers I've met on board have all been considerably older than I am (I'm 21). But on the other hand, it IS spring break, and I'm sure there will be plenty of other people my age around. I'm looking for everyone's experiences regarding this, good and bad. I just don't want to dish out so much money and then feel alienated when I'm on the ship!

Also, the cruise I want to go on is a 5 day Carnival stopping in Ocho Rios and Cayman for $665, taxes and everything included. I went to Cayman on Explorer, but I've never been to Ocho Rios or Jamaica in general. Is this a decent price? I was considering trying to haggle, but the cruise is only 3 weeks away so I don't wanna play around too long.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

I seriously doubt you will feel alienated on this cruise for the following reasons:

1) It IS Spring Break, after all;

2) Carnival attracts the younger crowd;

3) It's a (short) 5-day cruise, which also is attractive to younger groups.

4) You're 21 years old ... :)

You didn't say what cabin category you booked, but I would say that the price you quote is very reasonable (especially for an oceanview), but still decent for an inside.

Don't worry - there will be plenty of people your age ... Go and enjoy!

You got a good deal, and you really cannot haggle with cruise prices. Carnival and other lines have stopped travel agents from deeply discounting cruises. You will find lots of families and young kids on board. While there might be a few college age kids, they don't tend to take cruises and prefer to go to Mexico. Most every cruise line has a rule that people under 21 cannot cruise without a parent or guardian, so that lets out most college kids.

I definately reccomend going on this solo cruise. I am 23 and just got back from my first solo. I also went on Carnival, which was great! There weren't too many other other people on board since it was early February but I did meet some and had a great time. Since you are going during spring break you are bound to many lots of people your age. After my solo experience, I would never hesitate again to go solo.

Thank you everyone for your responses! A friend has expressed interest in going with me, and although this would be a cheaper alternative, she is taking her time making a decision and I'm afraid that waiting on her will mean that the 1A rooms will sell out and I won't be able to go. :(

Question though - - the prices have been fluctuating, and while working with a travel agent, it has gone down to about $623. If I book the cruise for $623 today, and the price goes down again, will travel agents change the price? Or will Carnival?

If I book the cruise for $623 today, and the price goes down again, will travel agents change the price? Or will Carnival?

Your TA should credit you with any price reductions your sailing may have after you book. If he/she doesn't, you should consider switching your TA.

Have a great cruise! Come back and let us know how it went.

Archived