Anyone got this lightweight carryon?

Coadysmom

I'm thinking of getting a lightweight carryon. Found this Heys lightweight 20" rollon. The weight of the carryon is 5.4 lbs. But don't know about whether or not the luggage is sturdy enough. Anybody got this piece of luggage and what's your experience with its sturdiness?

luggage.jpg.0913c6be44b1536333129ed03c3d57ed.jpg

after going on ebags website to check on this bag, the comments range positively as a carry on. Lots of space etc. the disadvantages were the zipper, the internal straps, and the plastic exterior, which scratches. however, people loved the light weight and it seems to carry a lot.

perhaps you could check the ratings before you make a final decision.

good luck.

If you want a hard-sided carry on, you might want to consider a PorterCase. It converts to a luggage dolly, and you can stack all the rest of your luggage on top to easily transport all your bags with one hand. It's carry on sized, but it can easily hold all your luggage.

carry-s.jpg

Speaking of carryons, we are flying for the first time in almost thirty years. The rest of my party wants to carry our luggage on the plane. I guess the size limit is 22 inches. Okay, do they measure from the wheels to the handle or the actual size of the bag? On a duffle bag, do they count the side pocket that expands? How picky is the airlines?

Speaking of carryons, we are flying for the first time in almost thirty years. The rest of my party wants to carry our luggage on the plane. I guess the size limit is 22 inches. Okay, do they measure from the wheels to the handle or the actual size of the bag? On a duffle bag, do they count the side pocket that expands? How picky is the airlines?

Gingee,

Your best bet would be to go to the website of your carrier and check their limit size and weight. Along with the checking the following website. Hope this helps you some.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/pack.shtm

If your bag doesn't fit into the overhead compartment or below the seat in front of you, they will take it away and check it for you.

I work in a luggage store part time and there is a world of difference between luggage companies. Spend your time looking at different brands and go to different stores. A carry on does not have to be as strong as a checked bag, because you handle it yourself.

Off the original topic:

I went to TJ Maxx yesterday and looked through their luggage. After spending the last few months working directly with luggage, I could not believe how cheaply made the stuff they had to offer was, of course it was reflected in the price. It's no wonder people complain about their cases being destroyed by airlines and other carriers, a lot of the stuff felt like cardboard covered with cheap fabric. The zippers are not securely sewn, the wheels are crapolla. The only piece I saw that was of any value was a piece made by Briggs and Riley, a small garment bag on sale for over $300, we sell the same type of item for not much more and it's brand new, not stained.

Like I already stated, spend a bit of time looking at luggage before you make a purchase, see it in person, not on a website.

I'm thinking of getting a lightweight carryon. Found this Heys lightweight 20" rollon. The weight of the carryon is 5.4 lbs. But don't know about whether or not the luggage is sturdy enough. Anybody got this piece of luggage and what's your experience with its sturdiness?

I can't tell the brand name, can you give more info?

Sorry, I see it is Heys, I've never heard of that brand. It's similar to Rimowa, in that it is constructed of polycarbonate plastic. I have no idea of the quality, but it is a lot less costly than Rimowa. Rimowa has been around since the 1930's but it is European, not real popular in the states yet. They started making the aluminum luggage, the old stuff you see in movies. It reminds me of Joe vs. the Volcano, the stuff is waterproof, even the zippers.

I have used International Travelor for a couple of years. It appears to be similar in styling as Heyes. We originally got three pieces and the airlines were able to break the plastic on one of the pieces. However the other two are fine. The plastic does get scratched etc but have held up were otherwise. They are easy to pick out on the carousel. Also on a trip to Asia we were able to expand the carry on and check it for the extra items we had purchased. I got my pieces at Stein Mart.

I have that same bag in pink, and just love it. You can put an amazing amount of things in it and it is very sturdy. I had mine packed with clothes and liquor after my cruise, and everything made it home safely. It is so light - it really helps with the weight limits if you check it, and it fits easily in the overhead if you carry on. The wheels turn all ways as well, so it's very easy to pull along. I highly recommend it!

Cathy

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Samsonite that looks like this. It has the locks on three sides, not the zipper. It is light, but has a lot of room inside. I went to Florida for a week and Vegas for a week and was able to fit all of my clothes into it. Its great because the handle pulls out, but the wheels move freely. This allowed me to walk down the plane's aisle with my carry-on rolling in front of me.

I have the Heys carryon and the Heys soft/croc luggage. The plastic on the luggage will scratch but it is worth the money in features and weight.

I think it is a Canadian Company that may be why many of you are unfamiliar with it. I can recommend it.

We love the International Traveler luggage and have several size pieces of it. The 22" bag will still fit in the overhead of most aircraft if not expanded. I like knowing in advance that I can't bulge it out with some pocket or other and that it will always go in smoothly. I hate to waste my luggage allowance weight on luggage itself, and bag to bag they weigh significantly less than other bags. They scratch badly and you'll probably look like a world traveler after only one or two trips. I use a Magic Eraser on mine to clean it up between trips, that helps a lot. Best part is that you can spot them on a luggage carousel in a flash. An airline beginning with the letter U broke the corner out of an underpacked bag last winter, and the company replaced it.

Lin

Anybody got this piece of luggage and what's your experience with its sturdiness?

I have the 20 inch, and like it. It fits in almost all overhead bins. I've used the bag for 3 years, and only recently had to replace it. (The handle won't extend anymore, something happened while in transit to Florida this past year.) Otherwise the bag is still in good shape (and we travel quite a bit).

Archived