new to Cruising

bossmum1

HI my husband and i are newbeeies to cruising, we are going on the Black Prince Sept 28th, can anyone give us a few pointers as to how much luggage to take etc also will it be possible to take a laptop for saving our photos. We have heard so much bad feedback about this ship, my husband is now wondering if we have made a mistake. Are there any other newbeeies going on this date.

Any advice we would be greatfull and put hubbys mind at rest.

First of all.......have a wonderful first cruise. Like most people it will probably be your first of many!:D

As you are sailing to/from England there are no restrictions as to how much luggage you take! I've not been on Black Prince so cannot say what storage space your cabin will have but on all the cruises I've been on there's always been ample :)

I do know Black Prince is a favourie of many. She is one of the smallest cruise ships afloat and apparently her crew are very friendly and get to know you very quickly! She is a ship I wouldn't mind trying! Don't be offput by bad reviews.....good ones outnumber them by far.......all the ships I've sailed on have had some poor reviews too........:confused: Still wonder if I sailed on the same ships people wrote about :p

There should be plug sockets in your cabin but you may need an adaptor....

Happy cruising!

Hi many thanks for the info. Im sure it will be fine, Thought it would have been me with doubts, lol, I just think hubby is'nt too impressed with the look of the ship. not as grand as others, i just keep reminding him why we choose the Black Prince in the first place. :) ALSO TOLD him dont take any notice of reviews. I for one cannot wait to go. :cool:

Can't really help you but we're also going on our first cruise - Black Watch in August - and I'm sooooo excited.

I've read as much as I can and am already buying the stuff I need to take with us - but then again I love shopping too. Still got to get the old man a DJ but daughter (14) and I are really enjoying shopping for dresses and accessories.

Am a bit miffed by the bringing 'no iron' thing though;)

Guest Anorak33

Black Watch has been historically the passengers favorite ship of the FO fleet, and Black Prince the least.

Maybe it is too unstable for some folk in rough seas, it is allegedly a flat bottomed ex ferryboat with small cabins. I have never been on there so would welcome some real info from an expassenger.

We like Braemar but most seem to prefer Black Watch.

Anyone the rankings are sure to change now with the new ships entering service.

The no irons, candles, joss sticks or hot water boilers rules are because they pose a very real fire risk, fire is the worst risk at sea for a cruise ship.

I think the ship has a lot of loyal followers but I personally like Boudicca .I think BP is wellpast her sell by date ,I have friends that have cruised on her in bad weather and told me people are literally straped into their beds.She has also come back into Liverpool with smashed windows and ruined carpets etc.

Not a ship for 1st timers I think unless you are guaranteed the weather.She is due to be retired in the next 2 years because she won,t pass the safety of lives at sea regulations.:)

Hi thanks for info, was looking forward, but as we have already payed, not a lot we can do but make the best of it. Have been told Sept oct pretty good weather wise. I too have already started the dress shopping. I hope you enjoy the Black Watch you must let me know how it goes.

Hi thanks for info, was looking forward, but as we have already payed, not a lot we can do but make the best of it. Have been told Sept oct pretty good weather wise. I too have already started the dress shopping. I hope you enjoy the Black Watch you must let me know how it goes.

I'm sure you'll have a good time - I'm guessing everyone looks for something slightly different to the next person so I don't worry too much about bad reviews (unless no-one had anything good to say iykwim;) ). I've been on plenty of foreign holidays where the reviews have been mixed and never had a bad holiday yet - fingers crossed here:D

So... what dresses have you looked at so far?

I'm sure you'll enjoy Black Prince! :) Try to put all the negatives to one side.....everyone has their own thoughts and EVERY ship has people who dislike her! :D

I have a friend who sailed BP to the Canaries last April and LOVED her! I for one would be happy to sail on her.....but this year she's only sailing from Liverpool and Greenock which are too far for me so instead I'm trying Balmoral in August as she sails from my nearest port- Dover. ;)

:) Hi, your right shouldnt knock it till we tried it lol. Be first time nerves as we have never been out of the Country before, our nearest port is Liverpool,:cool: Im sure we ar'nt the first to be put off by bad reviews.

Hi

I am sure you will have a ball. Fred Olsen lines are very friendly and (but) very British.

I haven't sailed on the BP but sailed on the Black Watch and had a fabulous time. I am sailing with FO again (just a mini cruise) on the Boudicca in october.

Be warned - you will get hooked and then you can choose from so many lines depending which parts of cruising you particularly like.

Re the ironing - laundry on board cruise ships is incredibly cheap I always use it for pressing clothes that have got badly creased (I'm a useless packer!) and for washing and dry cleaning before I come home.

Enjoy and welcome to Cruise Addicts.

Pat

Thanks Pat, im sure we will enjoy it, and become addicts, lol. I too am hopeless at packing, was told roll the clothes instead of folding, Dont think my cocktail dresses will like being rolled, lucky i choose one that wont crease and they have ironing on board, luxury, i will make the most of it. Would be nice to hear from anyone going on the 28th Sept,

Archived