First time X cruisers back from the Millenium

warmwinds

My sister and her husband got back yesterday from their first Celebrity cruise (they are Princess/HAL fans). They were on the Millenium. We LOVE the M class ships but they thought it was old, plain, and nothing special. They couldn't believe our last 4 cruises have been on an M class. They said they had a good time, and liked their cabin (I hand picked them one with a larger balcony), but they said everything else was just ok, and not nearly as nice as other ships they have recently been on. They said the food was just average, no better than Princess or HAL, with very little choice.

They took several golf excursions and said they were charged a 15% service fee to the golf organizer over and above the hefty excursion fee - they were quite surprised by this, said they have never encountered this before.

We adore everything about the M class, and were just so surprised.

Are the other newer ships out there really so much better?

We never told them to go on X - they wanted to try it since we like it so much, but now they are just shaking their heads wondering why.

Hi Warmwinds - We took our first X cruise on the Millie the end of January.

We wrote a review and comparison with RCI (been on RCI 25 times and 16 different ships over 20 years. also HAL, NCL, Crystal and QM2).

We mostly agree with your sister and BIL.

My wife thought the Millie was bland and dark.

The Voyager and Freedom class ships are much better than the Millie as far as decor and things to do.

Don't know if you read my review, but CC posted it as one of the reviews in that section.

I think it's all personal taste. For me, I find the Freedom and Voyager class ships to be far too big and too much of an overload of the senses. With their parades on the Promenade to the overall decor, the RCCI ships are just too much of everything for me, starting with too many passengers that makea the whole cruise experience totally impersonal. I'm one of those who don't need constant activities and all that, so Celebrity fits me much better than the behemoth ships. Food is totally subjective as you could give two people the exact same meal and they would both have differing opinions. But, I will say this, and again it's only my opinion, but food on all lines, with the exception of lines like Crystal and Seabourn, is beginning to taste all the same. And that's a shame because Celebrity was leaps ahead of all the other lines I've been on, and I've been on most of them.

Archived