Best Route Iao Valley - Kapalua - Lahaina

MPM

My DW, two friends, and myself will be arriving in Kahului, Maui aboard the POAL on March 28th. After reading some great suggestions on these boards, we have decided to rent a car from Thrifty in the morning and drive through Iao Valley. That evening we will be attending Old Lahaina Luau. In the late morning, early afternoon we would like to head over to the west beaches, most likely Kapalua. This is our first trip to Hawaii. I would appreciate any suggestions on the best routes to take from Kahului Bay, to Iao Needle, then to Kapalua beach, then to Lahaina for the Old Lahaina Luau. Also, any suggested time frames would be very helpful! Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. We don't want to spend a lot of extra time in Lahaina because we will be back less than a week later, and will spend most of that day exploring the town. Thanks for the help!

-Mike

Hi - Its best to look at an overall view for your best route. When you rent your car, Thrifty will give you a driving guide. In the meantime, you can take a look at your route on-line here (you can also purchase these ahead of time): http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/maui_maps.html I have been to Iao Valley before and it was wonderful! Make sure you have lots of film. A suggestion from the Revealed books was to have your film developed in the islands because of the color saturation. Iao Valley would be one of those places that you do not want to lose out on bad processing as everything is so very green. Rain won't ruin your day here. Enjoy!! I'll be there the week before you - can't wait. ;-))

I too was thinking of doing this itinery when hiring a car, but I had wondered whether to do the beach first with Iao valley in the afternoon on the way back.

The reasons being, I had read that beaches were better in the morning and I presume all the Iao Valley trips stop here first making the afternoons less crowded.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea about the travel times between Iao Valley, Kapalua Beach, and Lahaina? I am wondering if this is too much to try to squeeze in in one day. I have heard a lot of people say to not cram too much in, but I am prone to planning all of the available time:o

-Mike

Mike - You should have plenty of time to do what you have planned. I would suggest ordering the Maui Drive Guide - I believe they are $4 including postage - from the site mentioned in post #2 above. Though you can pick one up when you get your car, it is nice to have it ahead of time for planning, and there are lots of coupons, etc. included in the booklet. You will be surprised at how quickly your order is filled. We live in CA and our Guide was here in less than a week.

You would want to go to Iao Needle first as it is closest to the ship when docked in Kahului. You wouldn't want to drive all the way to Kapalua and Lahaina, come all the way back, and then return to Lahaina for the evening Luau. The amount of time you spend here will depend on whether you just want to observe the scenery or whether you want to hike on the paths.

You could have rain at the Iao Needle, but don't think that means there is rain all over the island! It can be showering in one place and beautiful and sunny in another. After the Iao Needle if you take the main highway up, you will pass through Lahaina on your way to Kapalua. You can spend as much time on the beach up at Kapalua or other beaches between Kapalua and Lahaina and then do the evening Luau there. The distance between Lahaina and Kapalua is short - 20-30 minutes at the most. The longest drive you'll have will be from the Iaol Needle to Lahaina. That will depend somewhat on traffic, but I'd say about 45 minutes to an hour going slowly to take in the views along the way.

Hope this helps, but ordering the Maui Drive Guide will help you the most! Aloha and enjoy beautiful Maui.

Bucky3,

Thanks for the feedback! After two suggestions to order the Maui drive guide, I guess I had better do it:rolleyes: I also have the "Revealed" books for all the islands, not to mention I am going to get the GPS with the rental cars! I tried one of these recently on a trip to Baltimore Maryland. I don't think I will ever rent another car without one:) I even though about purchasing my own before going to Hawaii, but I wasn't sure it would come with all of the Hawaii stuff I would need - not to mention I am saving my money for the trip!

-Mike

Funny thing is, you don't have many choices as to how to get there. It's at the end of a dead end road, and only two main roads to choose from. (Two weeks ago we took the Western most of the two roads). Don't bother going if it is raining. You won't see anything. Wishing you sunshine and a great trip!

Archived