Genoa embarkation, disembarkation questions

moveup

Questions for past passengers on MSC from Genoa:

(1) Prior to our cruise next week, we're staying at a hotel near the port. Out suitcases have wheels. Can we walk to the ship or will we need to plan for a taxi?

(2) Paperwork says embarkation starts at 1:00 p.m. Do we need to get there that early (or can we take the time for a visit to the Genoa cemetary and the aquarium)? What's the latest you would recommend getting to the terminal?

(3) On our return, we are flying out of Genoa airport. Will we be able to keep our luggage in our cabin, and walk off the ship that morning as soon as the ship clears customs/immigration (or will we have to wait in a lounge to be called in some priority order)?

(4) Are there taxis waiting at the terminal in Genoa?

(5) Any other advice?

Thanks.

Hi Moveup,

My DH and I are on the same cruise. We are staying in Genoa for a day after the cruise. We haven't booked a hotel yet.

Where are you staying?

Do you know what you are doing in shore excursions?

Lois

Lois, we're staying at the Hotel Bellevue which is right across from the Principe train station, at the old port, easy walk to everything and only about $105. We arrive 6 p.m. on March 2nd if all goes according to plan. We're hoping to see the Staglieno cemetery and the aquarium on the morning of March 3rd but in hindsight we should have allowed an extra day. . . . As for shore excursions, to be sure not to be left behind when the ship sails, we're planning to take the ship's excursions in Alexandria (full day excursion to pyramids at Giza) and in Naples (to visit Pompeii). Otherwise we're not planning to take any excursions because we hate bus tours and the forced shopping. In Crete, we're planning to take a cab to Knossos; happy to share a cab with you. In Katakolon, we're planning to take the 8:36 am. express train to Olympia if the ship docks early, otherwise a cab. Again, happy to share the ride with you. In the other ports we're planning our own walking tours, having done some research. I don't think we're supposed to give names on this site but if you email me at carron2@msn.com I'll give you our contact information. Best not to rely on cabin numbers in case one of us gets reassigned.

Hi I don't know about walking to the port from Hotel but I'm sure they can advise you accordingly. I would not get there earlier than 1300hrs as I doubt they will board you early. Security is not handled by MSC but by the Port Authorities & although you may get through MSC check in you have to wait for Security to startwork/finish siesta/have teabreak/chat amongst themselves before you get onboard. Disembarkation takes about one & a half to two hours starting at 0900hrs. & you can always change your departure tag at the desk if you require an earlier departure. Taxi's were plentiful from what I saw, as with every European Port where there fares to be grabbed. The good thing is you're doing you're own transfers, as the MSC coach transfers to Milan & Nice are chaotic to say the least & if you've not read it yet, heres my revue of Musica. Good Luck

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=36134

Archived