First time cruising NCL

Gull

I just booked on the GEM for a European cruise in August. Our previous 4 cruises have been on Celebrity. I've read up on NCL and we're fine with a more relaxed cruise experience. As I've been researching on the boards and am getting little concerned because I'm reading quite a few negative messages. Haven't been able to find many positives...

The price was right and we had limited choices for a 7 night cruise. We can still swith or cancel.

Should we?

It seems to be human nature to complain more than to praise... but there are many, many good - indeed glowing - reviews of NCL and especially the Gem.

A recent post basically begins with a statement that the poster will never cruise NCL again. The first listed amongst the myriad of complatins is a lack of karioke (sorry, not sure how to spell). Seriously, that would go so far below my radar that it isn't funny.

Life's what you make it - go and have a great cruise experience.

Coincidentily we're doing our first Celebrity cruise in August and looking forward to it. Being a veteran of 30 NCL cruises you know you're not going to get any negatives from me. I have not been on the Gem but almost all the other NCL ships and I enjoy each of them. I'm not picky as far as food so I always find something I like. Sometimes the main dining room might not have anything I like so it's off to one of the specialty restaurants or even the buffet and I'm happy. In all my cruises with NCL I have had maybe a half dozen ship or crew related situations that needed some correcting. I don't think that's a lot since I've had a few on the other 10 cruises I've been on with other cruise lines. These were taken care of promptly. I have found the service to be at least what I have expected. I am a rather large person and I find the rooms, beds and baths to be big enough. I enjoy the ships layouts. Their shows are mostly very enjoyable. On almost all NCL cruises I find a musician or singer in one of the louges that I particularly like and I enjoy them a lot. A couple of them are still good friends of ours. I could go on and on and I'm sure someone is going to disagree with some of this but this is my story and I'm going to stick with it.

Thank you all for the reassuring replies!

We've enjoyed all our cruises thus far and are really looking forward to our first European cruise and our first NCL cruise.

Bellabeaubeau, what were your favorite places on the Gem and which restaurants did you like best?

Thank you again,

Gull

Guy, you can read my gem review at the link below.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=36724

Husband loved the spa (and something he called the king chair that overlooked the water in almost every direction). He also really enjoyed watching football on the huge atrium screen. I loved that everything was so new, my aft balcony and the hot tubs. The food at French restaurant La Bistro (extra fee) was wonderful. And I was very impressed by the food in the main dining room.

Have a great one!!!

Archived