Early Documentation

hornbill7

'phoned HAL today to ask for early cruise documentation as we're leaving home in England a fortnight prior to the cruise start. I was quite surprised to find that they were going to charge $25. It was explained that they would need to print one-off documentation for us, but I would imagine that this is little more than a few keystrokes on a computer within the bowels of HAL's HQ. Is this a standard charge?

I'm not familiar with the customary time-frame for receiving documents in the UK; in the USA it's well before the 2-weeks to sail mark.

Are you certain that your documents won't be sent earlier? When I don't have HAL air I look for my documents almost two months before sailing.

In that case you have very little cause for worry! :) You don't actually need any of the documents that are in the package. Sure, they're nice to have---but not absolutely required!

You'll want (and obviously have the ability) to check in on-line. Print out the form and bring it with you. You can get baggage tags from the porters who take your luggage. You can review the shore excursions in advance on line, and even book the ones you're interested in. You won't have the list of emergency phone numbers so you can be reached, but I'll bet the great CC'ers here can provide that for you (just need the name of your ship).

Everything's going to be fine! :)

...and it most likely requires quite a bit more than "...a few keystrokes." There's documentation being printed up daily ('cause there are cruises leaving daily) and anything which interrupts the normal flow can cause a good deal of disruption. But, as Ruth said, you really don't need any of it - so if the $25 is a problem, just skip it and show up on time!

Have a great cruise...

Dear hornbill7

We have never had a problem with our HAL documents arriving late. I don't think you mentioned when it is that you actually leave the UK, however, they generally arrive 3 or 4 weeks prior to the actual cruise date.

I have previously checked the 'roll call' for our cruises, and we our papers have arrived (in the UK) prior to our fellow passengers located 'across the pond'.

I fully support the comments made by RuthC, in that, the documentation isn't really a big deal although I would ensure I had the printed 'on line check in' papers.

Have a lovely trip, wherever it is....:rolleyes:

I can understand your concern, and in any case, there's nothing like that lovely feeling when the package arrives. Crikey... I get a buzz just thinking about it and we're not cruising again until December !!!! We did a trip on the Westerdam in 2004 - brilliant ship.

Archived