Atlantic Sunrise: Madeira

We are going on the Atlantic Sunrise trip dep: 18th April. When we went to Madeira previously on the Colourful Coasts itinerary, we did the cable car, visited Monte, did the toboggan ride and open top bus tour in Funchal on our own.

This time we would like to see something of the island. Has anyone any experience of the Thomson trips on offer or other advice on local trips available? We are happy to try getting around independently.

Also we aren't in Lisbon for too long as we sail at 14.00 and haven't been before so what would be best to do there? Any advice on any of the ports of call would be welcome especially Gran Canaria, Cadiz, Malaga itself (as we've been to the Alhambra) and Toulon.

Hi- haven't been to Madeira yet- going in May. Have heard on other boards that a company called Strawberry tours (hope I've got that right!) does a half day "Nun's Valley" tour- they have a website. Also they do full days but might be cutting it fine.

In Lisbon you will see the famous monuments from the ship as you sail in/ away. There was a shuttle bus into the city when we went- it was a Sunday and all the shops were closed, but we enjoyed a ride on the famous Santa Juste elevador, walked up to the castle- fabulous views, and strolled around the pleasantly quiet streets.

Cadiz has great shops, cafes, market, beach, open top bus. Berth very close to town. Also in Toulon- petit train ride right from the quayside- lovely old streets, market, great harbour. Obviously there are trips further afield, but both these ports are very nice in themselves.

kate

Thanks, Kate - that is very helpful.

I've looked up the Madeira tour company (it's Strawberry World) and they do a number of different trips including a whole day tour of the island. The prices look good too. It's a late sail away from Madeira so timings shouldn't be tight. I'll contact the company and see if they do pick-ups near the port.

The info on the other destinations was welcome too - especially Cadiz which we will now explore rather than going on an excursion. Thanks again for the tips.

Lisbon is a wonderful city to visit, but since you do not have too much time I suggest you get a local taxi at the port to the 'Docas', not far from the port, which is a wonderful marina lined with a variety of cafes and bars where you can sip a drink, eat snacks- quite cheap- try the oysters- and watch the goings on. Or alternatively take a taxi to the St Jorge castle- entry 5 euros- walk around the courtyard, take in the stunning views from the parapets, enjoy a drink or snack in the outside cafe while the two resident peacocks will entertain you!- from a former resident of Lisbon - enjoy my city!

Lisbon is a wonderful city to visit, but since you do not have too much time I suggest you get a local taxi at the port to the 'Docas', not far from the port, which is a wonderful marina lined with a variety of cafes and bars where you can sip a drink, eat snacks- quite cheap- try the oysters- and watch the goings on. Or alternatively take a taxi to the St Jorge castle- entry 5 euros- walk around the courtyard, take in the stunning views from the parapets, enjoy a drink or snack in the outside cafe while the two resident peacocks will entertain you!- from a former resident of Lisbon - enjoy my city!

Sobral,

How far away from the airport is the cruise terminal ?

Next December we fly into Lisbon at about midday to join the Destiny. I don't know what time she'll be sailing but hoping it will be late(ish) and would like to see something of Lisbon before we sail.

Regards

Merv

The airport in near the city centre, so a taxi from airport to cruise terminal would take about 10-15 mins, traffic permitting!

You can get a taxi or even a bus from the airport to the city centre- taxi 10-15 mins, bus 30 mins.

In and around the city centre there are taxi ranks- especially in the main squares of the old part of the city so you could easily spend time in the city then hop in a taxi to the cruise terminal.

There is a lovely place called the 'Docas' near the cruise terminal, which is a marina and nice bars/cafes, wonderful views of the bridge etc

Any other queries- just shout

The airport in near the city centre, so a taxi from airport to cruise terminal would take about 10-15 mins, traffic permitting!

You can get a taxi or even a bus from the airport to the city centre- taxi 10-15 mins, bus 30 mins.

In and around the city centre there are taxi ranks- especially in the main squares of the old part of the city so you could easily spend time in the city then hop in a taxi to the cruise terminal.

There is a lovely place called the 'Docas' near the cruise terminal, which is a marina and nice bars/cafes, wonderful views of the bridge etc

Any other queries- just shout

Many thanks, the "Docas" sounds relaxing and the perfect opportunity to get some good photo's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rachel and Carol,

Have you received your travel documentation? We booked with Cruisedeals but haven't received our tickets yet.

Bearing in mind the post from one member re the ticketing problems for the Spirit I'd be interested to know if they've been sent out yet. We had a problem last year when our tickets were with an agency waiting to be collected although we live 200 miles away!

I don't know if it's too early to be concerned and whether I should start chasing it up.

Would be pleased to hear from you.

Liz

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for getting back to me - I was getting just a bit anxious.

I waited until yesterday to ring as you said your tickets had only just arrived on Monday and they said they'd been posted. Sure enough - they've arrived today.

Not long now - I'm really looking forward to it. Here's hoping we all have a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived