Various Questions for San Juan Embarkation

VAHockeymom

For anyone who has sailed out of San Juan as embarkation port...since the Serenade doesn't set sail until 10:00 pm, I was wondering if we could check on board and then get off the ship to explore San Juan before leaving for the cruise? Does anyone know?

Also, since the ship doesn't leave til late, is boarding also began later? For anyone who has done this before, what's the sailaway party like when you set sail that late?

Thanks for any info ya'all can provide.

Happy Sailing!

Hi

The following is based on what I have read in this forum / other forums.

1. Do you know which dock you are sailing from? There are two main areas:

Pan Am pier - closer to Condado / Isla Verde area of San Jaun

Old san Juan piers - right next door to Old san Juan.

For both - you will be able to drop off your luggage and then get back off (not sure how early, others will know).

If you are at the Pan Am pier - you will need to take a taxi into Old san Juan (about $10) http://www.gotopuertorico.com/puerto-rico-transportation.php

Might be best to get dropped off at El Morro fort - check the fort out and then head back down through the city. Plenty to see and do. This post has some sights marked on the map - just click on the map and zoom into San Juan http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/puerto-rico-travel-map/

If you are at the OSJ piers and want to start at El Morro - you can walk (uphill) or take the free trolley (marked el morro) from near the cruise ship piers.

Hope this helps

Serenade starts boarding at 11:30am. Rooms won't be available though until 1-1:30ish. Yes, you can check in and then get back off the ship to explore OSJ. Muster will be between main seating and second seating so plan on being back onboard the ship by 7:45 if you decide to go explore OSJ.

Remember that Serenade sails from the Pan Am Pier which is across the harbor from OSJ so you will need to take a taxi to get back and forth between the pier.

Thank you both for this information and the links. We've been to SJ before on the Norwegian Jewel but not as a an embarkation port. I didn't even realize there were two separate piers and I'm not sure which one we were at with the Jewel.

I'm pleased to hear that we can check in and then go explore again. The only draw back is that we have a large group traveling with us (there's 18 right now and possibly 22 by cruise time) so who knows how this is all going to work. I'm sure it will be fine and scads of fun no matter how you slice it!

Have either or you stayed in SJ before/after a cruise? If so, which hotel can you recommend? We prefer an upscale resort type of place to just your average run of the mill hotel. We'll be going down two days early to sight-see etc.

Thanks again!

Have either or you stayed in SJ before/after a cruise? If so, which hotel can you recommend? We prefer an upscale resort type of place to just your average run of the mill hotel. We'll be going down two days early to sight-see etc.

As you go from the airport toward Old San Juan and the cruise ship docks, you pass through the two districts of Isle Verde, and Condado, in that order.

Both have a number of very nice beach front resorts to choose from. My personal choice would be to stay in Isle Verde. Among others, you have the Intercontinental, Wyndham and the El San Juan. All three are exquisite properties. Plus, Isle Verde has the nicer beach.

Good luck.

As you go from the airport toward Old San Juan and the cruise ship docks, you pass through the two districts of Isle Verde, and Condado, in that order.

Both have a number of very nice beach front resorts to choose from. My personal choice would be to stay in Isle Verde. Among others, you have the Intercontinental, Wyndham and the El San Juan. All three are exquisite properties. Plus, Isle Verde has the nicer beach.

Good luck.

Thank you thank you thank you!!! The best way to find out the scoop about a place is to ask someone already familiar.

You're welcome.

My input was based upon the following: Having stayed at the Intercontinental; walking through the lobby and property of the Wyndham next door; and, other people I know personally who have stayed at the ESJ, and their impression of it.

Let us know what you wind up doing......??

Archived