named mispelled on Birth cert

newbie2cruise

Hi hope you all can help me. MY mom just went to get her cert. copy of her birth certificate for her upcoming first cruise with us. they misspelled her first name pretty bad. What should we do? Also does she need a copy of a marriage cert of any kind as now her last name is different? thanks!!

Whatever name is on a birth certificate is actually a person's 'real' name (misspelled or not).

In reality, as long as the name on her cruise docs and her other ID -photo ID- are the same, it should be ok. They go more by these two than the b/c. (If questioned about the b/c, it should be easy to explain the misspelled name.) Sounds like she's good to go!:)

Too be on the safe side, I personally would call the Cruiseline and tell them your predicament. That way, you will have no trouble checking in at the pier. Since 911, Cruiselines pay more attention to your docs.

My mom had the same problem. She's 70 years old and never knew that her name was misspelled on her birth certificate. We contacted Carnival and they said that the name on the docs needs to match the name on the birth certificate. We had the name changed on the booking to match the "wrong" name. My mom then contacted the State of Kentucky (where she was born) to see if she could get the certificate corrected. She had to send a copy of her marriage license and a copy of my brother's birth certificate that showed she'd been using the "correct" spelling all her life. A week later she had a new birth certificate. I was SURPRISED! I'm not sure this could have been done anywhere else but in Kentucky (it's just different - trust me!). So...I'd have your mom try it and see what happens. The catch is that if she doesn't get a new certificate and they take a close look at her photo ID, they'll notice they're not the same. At that point, it will just depend on the person who's checking you in. GOOD LUCK!

Archived