Casa Del Campo D.R.

karpowij

• 3 months later...
I hate to say this, but this port is nothing to write home about. If you are not a golfer, book a ship's tour. The evening sunset cruise was nice which our DD & DIL took, and if your ship arrives as stated, the Day at the Beach is worth it. Other than that, there is very little to do here. We took 3 children to the Altos de Chavon & Mediterrean style village. All I can say is it was Boring. There are no "kids souvenirs" and nothing of interest for them. Our ship did not arrive in time for Beach time due to a medical emergency. Also, it often rains in the area.
Bon Voyage.

There is a beach town about 15 km to the east that is nice... you can get there by taxi from Altos Chavron or the terminal. There are beach vendors, but the beach was nice and village semi interesting, more native to DR.

We stopped there on our Thanksgiving cruise last fall. Not much to write home about ... but if you are adventerous, don't mind walking ... we hooked up with a local hanging out near the dock. He walked us into town, took us on a walking tour (saw a couple markets, churches, "significant" buildings) then arranged for a ride to the Altos de Chevon village. There were 12 of us (extended family trip) - he said we were free to pay at the end of the day, whatever we thought was fair. We ended up paying him $50, plus paid $40 for the trip to the village. He was pleased, our kids got to see some 3rd world lifestyles - I bought some great ethnic paintings - It was really a fun day - But do be warned that while safe, it isn't luxury by any means :)

• 2 weeks later...
If I ever went there again I would book an excursion. RCCL arranged for free shuttles to take us to the Marina area and another area. We went to the marina and walked around. There are shops there but not a big shopping area. On the shuttle ride back to the port, our driver took us on a nice tour of the resort. There are some amazing homes there. I wouldn't have gone into town though, several people on our ship did that and one couple was robbed and a couple of guys were mugged and beat up.

My DW and I did Casa de Campo in 2002 on Millenium. We were the second cruise ship to make that a stop. They DR did a nice job getting a pier set up and has a nice little entry port but, that back then was about all. The cruise line and DR (Dominican Republic) offered free bus transportation to the only real sights that were available at that time the artist village and the shops at the yacht club. The one thing that we did book as a tour through the ship was the 'Kandela' show. That I would strongly recommend. It was an outdoor theater with stone seating (bring something to sit on) that looked like an old Greek theater. The show was terrific. The music and costumes were exceptional and the ride back to the ship in the dark was great. Something you don't very often see is your ship at night so that view was something else. I can't raelly tell you about much else but I do know from what I've read that the DR has added a lot since that trip. Good luck and enjoy.

Celebrity Summit - Western Caribbean - 4/03
Celebrity Millenium - Eastern Caribbean - 2/02
RCCL Nordic Empress - Bermuda - 8/98
Dolphin Royal Majesty (now NCL) - Bermuda - 7/95

Archived