AIRPORTS and Camera Film

Andrea A

Any problems with developed film going through the x-ray machines leaving Montreal? I know LAX (Los Angeles) is OK, but each country has different levels of x-ray machines. Many people coming back from Tahiti last year had their film ruined going through the carry on x-ray machines. I was lucky to be able to hand my film (in A clear ziplock) to the screener and he took it around the machine for me.

Shall I expect probelms with the x-ray machines in Canada? I have regular film, plus digital and tape.

Thank you

It is always safest to pass exposed film in a clear plastic bag to the inspectors at the security check. You are right to be concerned. While I don't know what the power settings are at any airport, it is just a good practice.

You don't have to worry about any digital storage media (such as CF or SD storage cards) or any magnetic storage (such as video tapes, audio tapes, etc). They aren't affected by x-rays.

Have a great trip!

Any problems with developed film going through the x-ray machines leaving Montreal? I know LAX (Los Angeles) is OK, but each country has different levels of x-ray machines. Many people coming back from Tahiti last year had their film ruined going through the carry on x-ray machines. I was lucky to be able to hand my film (in A clear ziplock) to the screener and he took it around the machine for me.

Shall I expect probelms with the x-ray machines in Canada? I have regular film, plus digital and tape.

Thank you

All our film came through just fine.. When I started I had them hand scan the film, but it is posted in most airports if your speed is under 800 speed film it will be ok.

I shot 8 rolls of 200 and 400 speed (combined and 4 rolls of slide film) plus the digital pictures.

A couple of years ago our video film was ruined. We never knew if it happened in Vancouver or on the machines that the cruise ship used. I had left the camcorder in my carryon luggage. Sure hope that never happens again.

Archived