Golden exercise questions

ozbuc

I am diabetic and I have a great need to exercise daily for tight blood glucose control. I am assuming that the gym facilities are going to be crowded. I walk an average of 6 miles daily and don't mind walking around the ship to accomplish this. I also do 40 minutes of strength training with dumbbells. Two questions, how many times will I have to walk around the ship to do my 6 miles? and do they have weights in the gym and will they be as heavily used as the treadmills?

There are hand weights in the gym.............and depending upon the time of day, plenty of treadmills available. I assume you are talking about walking on the promenade deck...........I think it's about 3 times around for a mile, but I didn't see it posted anywhere. Have fun:D

If you walk on the running track, it's 10 times around for each mile.

We did the breast cancer walk while on board which is a 5K walk (3.1 miles) and it was 8 times around the promanade deck included the front on deck 8. They said that if you cut through and stay on deck 7 it's 9 times around but I think that is just an approximation.

Hope that helps!

The ship will have a very good selection of free weights (dumbells) and a wide variety of excellent strength-training machines too. My DH always appreciates the quality of the machines and the free weights on Princess ships. You'll find that a lot of people don't use the free weights. Most like to hop into the gym 'play' with a machine or two and then leave. (That way they can say, "Oh yeah, I was in the gym every day!" :rolleyes: ) Formal nights are least crowded and afternoons around 3-4pm are usually pretty quiet too.

For walking the deck, if I remember correctly, 3.3 times around equals a mile. The deck can get a bit busy in the mornings.

I am diabetic and I have a great need to exercise daily for tight blood glucose control. I am assuming that the gym facilities are going to be crowded. I walk an average of 6 miles daily and don't mind walking around the ship to accomplish this. I also do 40 minutes of strength training with dumbbells. Two questions, how many times will I have to walk around the ship to do my 6 miles? and do they have weights in the gym and will they be as heavily used as the treadmills?

ozbuc... I am diabetic too and have been interested to see how meal planning is going to work for me. I've been on 2 cruises before, but they were before I was diagnosed with type 2. Have you cruised before with diabetes? Any tips you could give me? I eat 6 small meals a day, so I wonder what I'm going to do when we go on shore excursions. Should I just visit the buffet and grab some protein and carbs to go? I'm a bit anxious about this! I trust myself not to go off my program while onboard, so that's not a problem, but I do wonder how and what to order in the dining room. I know that they are good about bringing you whatever you ask for, but just what should I ask for and how can I make sure I have something different every night? But really my main concern is staying on the 3 hour schedule and how to facilitate that when on excursions. Any help from you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks to everyone for all your help. 2Oregonians I am on a different diet plan than you. I eat the main 3 meals a day with at least 4-5 hours between meals also I eat less than 30 grams of carbs a day. Thanks to some one posting the menus from the Golden I was able to determine that the dinning room will be no problem for me since I am on a high protein, high fat low carb diet. My only problem with the dinning room will be dessert. As far as going ashore well I hear that the Mexican Riviera is a great place for shrimp and other seafood so as long as I skip the rice and beans I should be able to maintain my good blood glucose levels which for me average 90-105 two hours after eating.

Thanks to everyone for all your help. 2Oregonians I am on a different diet plan than you. I eat the main 3 meals a day with at least 4-5 hours between meals also I eat less than 30 grams of carbs a day. Thanks to some one posting the menus from the Golden I was able to determine that the dinning room will be no problem for me since I am on a high protein, high fat low carb diet. My only problem with the dinning room will be dessert. As far as going ashore well I hear that the Mexican Riviera is a great place for shrimp and other seafood so as long as I skip the rice and beans I should be able to maintain my good blood glucose levels which for me average 90-105 two hours after eating.

Yes, we're on quite different diets, aren't we? My control has been very good too. I just checked 2 hrs post and it was 108. :D

Could you link me to the menus? As far as fish and seafood, I can't eat any of that, unfortunately.

Archived