Military action in Colombia

Cotton Ginny

No need to worry. The only problems with Cartagena would be civil unrest, not a crazy dictator from the neighboring country. Colombia is not going to be over run with troops any time soon. Chavez is all bark.

We will be there on 10 Mar.

Craig

We just heard on spanish tv that Chavez put his warships in the area so that concerns us if we would have booked the MSC that goes to Cartagena. We have been looking closely to see if any cancellations would come up, but after today's news we're not going to press our luck. These countries will always blame the US for some part of their problems, so being there at time of war is not a good idea. I am watching to see if these cruises are going to cancel. I guess military movements in land are not a problem for a cruise, but warships? I would think that would at least be a concern. Chavez is a crazy nut, wouldnt trust being near him.

Chavez is free to deploy his warships into international waters, but not into Colombian waters. The US has pumped over $5B into the Colombian military, and we have a robust presense of "advisors" in the country. As soon as Cavez crosses a boarder the strongest military in the region (Colombia) backed by the strongest military in the world (US) is going to push him right back. Chavez knows this and will just use the opportunity to saber rattle to deflect attention from his mounting domestic woes.

No need to worry. The only problems with Cartagena would be civil unrest, not a crazy dictator from the neighboring country. Colombia is not going to be over run with troops any time soon. Chavez is all bark.

We will be there on 10 Mar.

Craig

We will be there on the 16th and am touring with a popular tour operator- I asked him "if he could try and do something about the little border skirmish they had going on down there" and he said to me:

"We sent a delegation over to talk to Chavez but he wouldn't shut up long enough to let us talk!":D

So true- I can't wait to tour Cartegna and expect that Celebrity won't stop there if it wasn't safe.

Maybe we should be more worried about stopping at Aruba than Cartagena. I think Aruba is much closer to Venezuela that Cartagena is to the Venezuelan border. Since Venezuela has no regard for Americans maybe cruising the waters around Aruba should be of concern.

I hope I feel a little more confident by the time we sail in 42 days.

The problem with stopping in Cartagena is that Chavez is not only a crazy fool but also he supports the FARC guerrillas in Colombia, so if he wants to start something what easier way than to let FARC do it for him so he is not directly involved. One of my fears is kidnapping of american citizens because he knows the CIA helped Colombia capture that guy Reyes in Ecuador. It's a mess, but I dont put anything passed Chavez. He is looking for the chance to start something with anybody just to prove he's a fool, oh wait... he has done that already when he opens his mouth!!! :cool: :p :rolleyes:

I see where a few more countries are starting to stregthen their boarders, as well I read Mexico is keeping an eye on things....:( I guess for us it's wait and see and Celebrity will let us know what they are going to do...would really LOVE to see cartagena...Aruba doesn't really turn my crank..been there...done that.....Oh Well wait and See:rolleyes: :D

Please keep your plans, but travel smart. Columbia is a gorgeous country with many warm people and fabulous food! Columbia has been on and off cruise excursions for several years. When it becomes unsafe, cruises go elsewhere. Check the State Department's web site for updates. When off the ship, take your passport with as well as the telephone number to the cruise rep in the country you are visiting and the telephone number for the American embassy. Have fun. It is truly a beautiful place.

I think for now things have quiet down between Colombia-Venezuela-Ecuador. But, I am waiting to see what Colombia is going to do with all the information they have about the connection between Ecuador's president and their government officials and the guerrillas. I read yesterday that some hacker got into the Ecuadorian government's website and left a message "dont mess with Colombia". So we'll see, but I too would love to see more cruise lines put Cartagena on their itineraries. I hear it's a beautiful place to see. :)

Archived