We got our travel insurance, CSA through insuremytrip.com.

Howdy Doody -- CSA, like every other major insurer, is licensed and approved to sell policies to residents of your state by the state's Department of Insurance.

If you disagree with CSA's decision you can always appeal it to to the state. If they rule in your favor CSA has to abide by their decision.The state's review people are there to protect their residents' rights and have no financial interest in the decision -- they tend to like to support their voters if there's a gray area.

That process can take some time as the state can move a little slow. Depending on which state you live in you can probably also ask for binding arbitration form a mutually-agreed upon arbitration service. This tends to be faster.

Thanks for much for the information. At 3PM today CSA has decided to pay the claim. I give them credit for reviewing the claim again and coming up with a just decision.

I do appreciate you answering my post and would have proceeded with your advice if the did not come through.

Howdy Doody

Now looking forward to a XMAS cruise

Yes, you can. You just won't be able to have pre existing conditions covered. If I'm not mistaken, you can purchase insurance almost up until you leave. Maybe someone else knows exactly how long before you leave it's okay.

Anne

Based on what I've been reading here, I decided to check out InsureMyTrip.com. They had some really good rates. I was wondering how do I find out if it's a secondary or primary insurance? I was looking at travelex...

Thank you.

I just purchased the Travelex/Travelite insurance - looks like a good deal for the price!

Re: primary vs. secondary, any item on the quote page with a gray background is primary, yellow background/highlight is secondary. (All of the Travelex items were gray.:) )

One other item of interest re: pre-existing conditions - many of the companies will waive the pre-existing condition if insurance is purchased within a speicified number of days from the first trip payment (for Travelite, it's 21 days).

We booked our travel insurance with Access America. We did it for our first cruise and they were great when our cabin flooded. Celebrity did not compensate us for all the receipts we submitted and we sent the disposition to Access America. Within 5 days, they sent us a check for the rest of the amount that Celebrity did not cover.

• 4 years later...

Please read your policy carefully. We recently took 9 family members on a 12 day cruise in November. The Princess cruise ship went dead in the water on the way back to port in Italy from Egypt. We were to arrive in port at 4 am but did not get in until 12:30 pm. Causing us to miss our flights home and having to spend the night in Rome and rescheduling all 9 flights for the next day at an additional cost of $1845. Returned home and filed our trip interruption claim for the cost of the tickets and the hotel rooms with food. They would only cover the hotel and food and not the additional cost of the airline tickets. Explanation, the cruise ship (common carrier) was not 24 hours late into port (clause in the contract under trip interruption) and even though we did not get out of Rome until the next day it was through no fault of the airline that we had to rebook.

We were told by them in a letter they would only cover the hotel and meals and if we had any complaints to contact the Ca Insurance Commissioner.

Please look at the contract carefully. I would definitely consider a different insurance company next time we travel.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always purchased my insurance from insuremytrip.com. I always research and end up with one of the Travelex products. Insurance is mind boggling when you are researching. Your post had some great points and was very helpful even to someone who has purchased in the past. Thank you!

This is a great thread. I think I like Travelguard and found it for $110. Didn't include airfare, though...maybe I should...brings it to $194.

Anyway, it's a pretty basic one, but would do the trick I think. A rated.

What do you do when you decided? There's a button to "buy", but it seems you should call, correct?

• 1 month later...

I must have zoned out when I booked our upcoming HA cruise last month because I declined the coverage through Costco, but then never bought a stand alone (TravelEx, Travel Guard, etc.) policy. Which was totally out of character for me. And to make matters worse, we both have "controlled" medical conditions, so the pre-existing conditions limitation waiver would have been a really nice feature to have.

My thought now... since we're going to have the pre-existing condition limitation anyway, why not wait until final payment time to purchase the insurance? Is there any benefit to purchasing it now?

Thanks for your help.

Fortunately my previous post is no longer an issue for me. I did some online research and found that TravelEx waives the pre-existing condition limitation if you purchase coverage within 21 days from the date of your first payment, and you are currently physically capable of traveling. Today was the 21st day, and I purchased coverage 30 minutes prior to their office closing time. I'm very thankful for what I saw as divine intervention.

Just thought I'd add this information in case someone encounters the same problem.

Archived