We got our travel insurance, CSA through insuremytrip.com.

• 1 month later...

Thank goodness we didn't need our insurance but I did feel better having purchased it. They even sent us an email a couple of days before we left telling us to have a good time and hoping we didn't have to get in touch with them but in case we did we could rest assured they would handle our needs. I thought that was a very nice touch!

I usually don't purchase trav ins...but for our Alaska trip next year...I'm considering it. I checked insuremytrip.com. How did you ever decide which package to choose??? It all seems so confusing!

9/2000 Carnival Tropicale

12/2001 NCL Norway

9/2002 NCL Norway

10/2003 Disney Wonder

6/19/2005 Sapphire Princess

I used my travel insurance after 9/11. We were in Alaska heading for Canada at the time. Our flight back to the US was cancelled of course. We had the insurance through AAA. AAA and the insurance company worked together and found us buses and Amtrack to get us home. They paid for the train, bus, some meals and 2 extra days for our hotel. We had to pay for the bus transfers from the airport. We had pre purchased them and they were non refundable, but we used them later and the taxi. We also paid for a couple of meals that we forgot to get receipts for. It was well worth the money. The airline refunded the money for our cancel flight. I always buy insurance for any trip over $1000.00. Good luck. Carla

Carla steckmyer

I printed them out side by side, looked at what they offered, checked the prices and then asked people on this site which one I should go with. I chose CSA and it was the right choice for us price wise, they were friendly and helpful when purchasing and thankfully we didn't have to use it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flintstone:

I usually don't purchase trav ins...but for our Alaska trip next year...I'm considering it. I checked insuremytrip.com. How did you ever decide which package to choose??? It all seems so confusing!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One important thing to remember is that most insurance companies these days DO offer some coverage for preexisting medical conditions but ONLY if you purchase the coverage within 7-14 dyas (varies) of the time you make an initial deposit on the trip. If you or anyone traveling with you has diabetes, heart trouble -- anything that's ongoing and could flare up unexpectedly -- you need to get this. Otherwise most of them are pretty similar.. Insuramytrip.com has a comparison chart that pulls up, doesn' it? The amounts for baggage coverage and trip interruption may vary but most of them are pretty similar in what they cover.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time! icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

One can never have too many days at sea..</font>

Yo-

What I do with insuremytrip.com is to start from the lowest priced three and check them for comparison - then pick the one that gives the best coverage - then I pull up the next two lowest and compare to the one that I have saved from before. It doesn't take long to figure out which is the best bang for the buck - but read each one very carefully and don't forget to include your airfare, hotels, transfers and cruise fares in your total (If you haven't booked them yet-estimate-'cause if you have to cash in they are only going to pay for your actual losses). And be sure to do it right after booking your cruise even if you don't have pre-existing conditions.

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Fairsea'86-Mexican Riviera

Stardancer'88-Mexican Riviera

Crown Odyssey'00-E. Med

Dream'01-W. Med

Sky'01-Hawaii

Regal'02-Alaska

Norway'02-E. Carib

Norway'03-E. Carib

Elation'03-Panama Canal

Crown'04-Canada/East Coast

Norway "Royal Suite" 07/04/04-CANCELLED!!

Carnival "Spirit" 12/11/2004 Mexican Riviera

"We have never had a BAD cruise - some were just BETTER than others"

OK...I've been seriously looking at insurance. Since DH is diabetic, I need to get this within the "Pre-exisitng" guidelines. I've calculated total cost of cruise, air, 1 night hotel pre-cruise & expected excursions. Am I getting everything?

12/2001 NCL Norway

9/2002 NCL Norway

10/2003 Disney Wonder

I could be wrong, but I dont believe that you have to include your excursions since you havent paid for them yet. Technically, there is nothing to insure...does that make sense?

When we purchased our insurance we only included the price of the cruise, but looking back we should have done airfare also.

Oh well, it was only 150 bucks and I generally dont insure my airfare anyway.

They are very helpful at insuremytrip.com - maybe you should give them a call since you are dealing with "pre-existing conditions".

Carnival Victory, here I come!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;10;02;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I bought insurance last year because we were travelling to the Caribbean in hurricane season, and were concerned that a weather delay could make us miss the ship. The insurance would have covered getting us to the 1st port of call. We got the standard package through the cruise line.

In looking for insurance, make sure you are getting a better deal than what your cruise line offers.

Flintstone - you might consider including cost of luggage, etc. If you have to leave the ship quickly, you may forget some items behind.

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Sunward II 9/90, Adventure OTS 9/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mirrajay:

I could be wrong, but I dont believe that you have to include your excursions since you havent paid for them yet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, we do plan on booking our own excursions and pre-paying for all that I can. With the Alaska excursions running $200-$400 per person..these are easily adding up to a couple thousand dollars. I will call nonetheless, to make sure. Thanks for everyone's help.

Deb

12/2001 NCL Norway

9/2002 NCL Norway

10/2003 Disney Wonder

Yo Flintstone-

Thanks for the comments - glad I could help-

The great thing about these boards is that you can usually find out what you need if you spend a little time looking - or ask a rational question - it usually will be answered by someone with prior experience-

As an example - I used to recommend going to your local AAA club travel and get their insurance-

Since doing what I avocate on insuremytrip.com - I have found that I can get better coverage at equal to or less than the insurance that my AAA uses - and they ALL are about half of what the cruise lines charge!!!

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

I also used www.insuremytrip.com for 2 as yet untaken cruises. In comparing prices and coverages, some companies, like CSA, didn't cover pre-existing conditions and financial default, and their medical coverage was also secondary, after you go through your primary insurer. TravelEx TravelLite seemed to be the best bang for the buck for our needs.

[This message was edited by NancyIL on 06-18-04 at 09:50 PM.]

Being from the UK, travel insurance is a MUST for us. LOL. Even so, I believe that there are some people who travel without it. I would hate to get sick in USA and not have the benefit!

I usually take out insurance with $10,000,000 (the maximum) medical cover - I think that should be enough!

• 2 weeks later...
In looking for insurance, make sure you are getting a better deal than what your cruise line offers.

Don't just look for a deal. Make sure you get the coverage you need. You can almost always get more coverage at a lower price through an independent than through the cruise line, but don't just grab the lowest price! Make sure you understand the coverage and can live with it if you need to file a claim. Use insuremytrip.com to compare policies, but always review the conditions of coverage on the website of any insurance policy you are considering.

Personally, I won't buy any policy that has secondardy coverage. If you have to file a claim, you have to go through every other source of coverage you have before the travel insurer will pay out. That could mean your medical insurance, your auto insurance, and even your home owner's insurance. The extra work to file multiple claims and the longer wait for payment is not worth the few dollars you save by not purchasing primary coverage.

I have seen the topic of Travel Insurance surface almost daily. I am not an agent for any travel insurance company. I thought I would post the important considerations under a tempting header to make it easy to find. If you have any hints to add, please do so!

1. Check out InsureMyTrip.com for a comparison of the most popular travel insurance policies. This is a great place to start.

2. In conjunction with InsureMyTrip.com, check out InsureMyTrip.com for comparitive information about the plans on the InsureMyTrip.com web site plus hints on what the different covereages mean and what to look for.

3. Many companies offer two different policies. A premium policy with all the "bells and whistles" and a less expensive alternative with a little less coverage. Buy the policy that fits your needs.

4. Make sure your insurance coverage is considered "Primary". This way if your problem is covered by the policy, the insurance company pays you. Period. You do not want "secondary" coverage wherein you have to submit your claim elsewhere first (like to your Homeowners, Health, or other insurance).

5. Make sure your policy is real insurance. Don't get fooled into buying "travel protection" offered by non-insurance companies. These other companies are often fly-by-night outfits who are not governed by the same rules and bonding/reserve requirements that insurers are.

6. Do not buy travel protection or insurance issued by your travel agency, airline, or cruise line. There is bound to be some contention here from fellow travels, but think about why you are buying the insurance. What good is insurance if the airline, travel agency, or cruise line you are traveling with goes under? You never know. Now, this is not to say you shouldn't buy your travel insurance from any provider, like your TA. Just make sure the insurance is independant of the provider.

7. Make sure the insurer is rated "A+" or "A++" by AM Best. Make sure the company has the financial wherewithall to pay your claims.

8. Buy the policy within the first 14 days (or so) from when you make your first trip payment, so that all Pre-Existing Conditions are waived. This way you never have to prove that a pre-exiting condition didn't exist.

9. Read the entire policy before buying. Usually the policy and the exclusions can be found online. Make sure it covers you for any scenareo you want covered.

10. Make sure the policy includes "financial default" coverage. This is important.

I have purposely not mentioned any insurers by name to this point as everyone seems to have a preferred insurer. I like Travelex's (rated "A+") Travelite product and have bought it 3 times now. Other folks have mentioned CSA (rated "A-"), Travel Insured (rated "B++"), and Travel Guard (rated "A++"). Of these four, CSA and Travel Insured are rated below A by A.M. Best and therefore would be disqualified from my immediate consideration given the other choices available. It is surprising how dificult it can be to actually find the ratings on some companies.

Dear Caribbean Bound;

Thanks for the excellent post. You made some outstanding points and listed your advice quite well. I cannot think of anything to add to your post, but will remind all that insurance is a product you hope to never need but, life is not without risk. I would caution others to consider what is important to you if a dire emergency where to arise? No one wants to loose luggage and clothing, etc., but the medicals and evacuation are the meat and potatos of travel insurance. There is a reason the military treats their own overseas and evac's to the mainland. Read your policy carefully, will you be evacuated to the nearest U.S. territory or to the mainland? Will you be transferred near your home after being stabilized? Will your family be transported with you? Carefully, very carefully read the terrorism clauses in your policy as there are some very risky clauses if your sailing will operate in certain areas.

The last point I will add is to take the time and know your policy. Once you know the fine print and the company, it will be much easier to purchase future coverage. Many times the difference in good coverage and so-so coverage is no more than several drinks, consider carefully.

P.S. I would like to know the premium for the British cruiser with a 10,000,000 pound sterling med. coverage. WOW

Insure My Trip is a good place to buy. A very good place to start for info on the various plans and how to make your choice is at http://www.travelinsurance-info.com Tells you how to make sense of what's presented on the insuremytrip.com site

I bought our trip insurance through insuremytrip.com and found them very helpful. One can ring with questions and they were more than happy to help me understand the policy details so I was sure I was getting what we needed. The prices were quite competitive.

Unfortunately, I have a number of complex medical problems and because of this, I need to be certain that I have adequate coverage when overseas, including coverage for medical evacuation. Insuremytrip.com was super and I would definitely use them again.

Hi, Before Tuesday AM comes, I am trying to get my ducks in a row for a problem with CSA Insurance. Before I completely lose my cool I am looking for some adivse to see if anyone else has run into a problem with this.

I booked a cruise thru Princess on The Golden for May 27. Paid for the insurance and the cruise in full . I was taking my two nephews aged 16 and 22 . I had to cancel the trip on 4/19 and Csa has denied the claim based on the following wording. No commencement of new sickness from 3/19.

The scenario is as follows,

I planned trip in December Had no intention of cancelling but something changed for my sister-in -law. She has had polyscstic kidney desease for years but the pain has been getting worse. Her doctors suggested she go on a list for a transplant or find a live donar. Her two brothers were tested.. one was turned down but the other turned out for a match. This was taking place right after i paid for the trip but should have been now problem. Both recepient and donor have their own transplant teams who have to coordinate time and flexibility for both. Did not find out until 4/19 the surgery would be 5/27. called and cancelled immediatly as the two sons would have to be with their mother. Was assured I would have no problems and was credited a certain amount back from Princess.

As it was, the transplant was cancelled the day before it was to take place because she had a kidney bleed and it was surgically removed a week later.

She is now scheduled for a transplant in July.

Do insurance companies just arbitrarily deny claims???? Who are making these decisions???? Is there a complaint board ??? Is common sense part of the review decision

I have to wait until Tuesday because you cannot get any supervisors on the phone. I do not want CSA to get a bad rap if this is just a misunderstanding so any suggestions until Tuesday would be appreciated.

My blood pressure is just going down now after getting it off my chest

Archived