Any information about Punta Tombo?

auntdot

2Travelers, I am a bit confused!! We're doing the SA cruise with NCL Feb 1/09 and my itinerary says the we "cruise the beagle channel". Did your cruise do this? Just wondering why others went on a separate tour to the Beagle Channel. Looking forward to your pics. Thanks.

Hi Carmelita: OK - I guess you have seen the photos that these computer saavy folks posted :p - if I didn't know better, I would have thought that they took them from my camera. There are "days at sea" and "cruising days" on this trip and they are not the same. The "days at sea" is just that - there is nothing but water surrounding you and the ship really moves. The "cruising days" are the days that the ship slowly moves trhough the glaciers and around the Beagle Channel waters. When they stop at Ushuaia, you can travel through the narrow channels and inlets of the Beagle Channel - that is where you can get up close and personal with the sea lions and the penguins. It is just amazing. I am surprised that those passengers on the Catamaran got close enough to get those photos - when we were there, the catamarans stayed much further away than we did. What ever you chose, it will be just wonderful. The glaciers and the wildlife are wonderful to see during those days that you cruise the waters. I hope that it isn't too cold to stay outside and just watch the scenery go by - it is truly amazing.

Ronnie

Hi helpsmesailaway.

Your eyes are still good. The photos were taken in February (seasons are reversed) at the Punta Tombo rookery on the Patagonia Coast of Argentina. It's summer there and quite pleasant. :) That area gets upwards of half a million magellanic penguins.

Glad you liked the photos. This little guy is molting in preparation for his first swim.

Phil

267894333_stKgT-M.jpg

That picture is so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your explanation. It was my understanding that Santiago and Buenos Aires are very hot but that most in between was rather frigid. Now I have more info on how to pack.

Your pictures are just wonderful.!!:)

Archived