Noumea tours

spailing

Is it worth taking the bus tour after the petite train tour or are we just going to se the same things again.Can anyone suggest a tour after the train ride as many people have said to get out of town as it isn't very friendly. I would like to do the petite train and also get out of town, any suggestions

Is it worth taking the bus tour after the petite train tour or are we just going to se the same things again.Can anyone suggest a tour after the train ride as many people have said to get out of town as it isn't very friendly. I would like to do the petite train and also get out of town, any suggestions

Perhaps get in a cab down to Lemon Bay ... it's nice (and not too far away) --- especially if you want to eat/drink/swim.

The buses go pretty mujch to the same places as the petite train. The only difference is that the buses go to an additional lookout that overlooks the centre of the city and the harbour. The train cannot get up the hill and turn. You have probably already read that you can book the train for A$20 in the visitor centre on the dock at Noumea.

Another suggestion is to go to the Tjibaou Cultural Centre by taxi. It is closed on Mndays. Entrance cost is around A$6.75 (free for over 65s) and the taxi fare is around A$20 each way. In both cases you must have Pacific Francs, and you can obtain these on board at the Purser's office. Don't let them tell you that Aussie dollars are acceptable.

Maybe extend the taxi ride into a sight-seeing trip and cut out the train/bus trip. If you want to take this option, let me know and I can give you directions to the taxi rank in Noumea.:):)

I think the cultural centre would be the way to go. If we get a taxi from the wharf out there is there any trouble in getting back,are there plenty of taxis.

We cannot answer your specific question on getting a taxi back from the cultural centre. You could probably ask the staff at the centre to phone for a taxi for you. We will be going to the cultural centre on our next trip (23rd April).

It is pot luck to find a taxi at the wharf and you could wait quite a while. Don't expect a line-up of taxis as you find in other ports.

Directions to the taxi rank - When you come out of the cruise terminal turn right and cross the road (rue Jules Ferry) at the first set of traffic lights. Walk down the street where the traffic lights are (rue Anatole France) for 3 blocks. The taxi rank is in an open space on your right.

Enjoy your visit to Noumea.:):)

we found it hard getting a taxi back from lemon bay. we ended up catching the bus which was alomost the same price as the taxi as there were 4 of us.

Dont expect much of a beach if the tide is in!!

We were in Noumea in January and booked the cultural centre through the ship (1st tour) but before we went on that we booked in the market area at the port the $20 train trip for later on. Felt let down at the cultural centre as it wasn't really our 'thing', but still glad to have done it as the outside is amazing and seeing it in alot of advertising we can at least say we've done it. Between the 2 you should get a good overview of Noumea I feel. Someone on our trip did the aquarium and bus tour, then took the train with us later on in the day and said that it was going over abit of ground and sights that they had seen before...whatever you decide enjoy!!!

Archived