Plus size bathing suit question

JoKen1

Okay ya all . . . I just ordered three new outfits via Travelsmith.com and fingers are crossed that they fit (I ordered 1X/16W) which is what I usually wear but in some things . . . I have to go up to an 2X/18W.

Now . . . still looking for that perfect cover-up that covers more than my bathing suit. Don't want a caftan or long dress . . . just something that comes to right above my knees to cover the cottage cheese on my thighs. I've looked and looked both in shops and on line and still can't find anything. I just can't believe that there is nothing out there for us girls that want something that covers one's thighs. If anyone see anything like this . . . please let me know . . . :p

Try these, Ladycaveat.

From roamons.com

0528_39310_mm.jpg?wid=230&hei=331&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1

0528_19069_mm.jpg?wid=230&hei=331&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1

Or, from silhouettes.com

I have this one in black, it comes in other colors too:

7B506981_OI_2?$product$

This one is interesting, but I prefer a button-up style.

8B502638_WI?$product$

Last summer when we went to Galveston, I bought the perfect coverup... (see below).

When walking down the beach, on first glance, people didn't see a big girl... and if they chuckled, I knew it was not at the extra fat I was carrying :D

I love it!!!!!!!!!!

Try these, Ladycaveat.

From roamons.com

Or, from silhouettes.com

7B506981_OI_2?$product$

8B502638_WI?$product$

Fantastic! I'll check them out . . . thanks bunches!!!!!!

Do NOT let the way you look keep you from enjoying the fun things in life. Enjoy the beach and the pool! It would be a tragedy if you missed out on lots of fun, just because of what other people might think....that's not your issue, and don't let it spoil the fun.

Enjoy the cruise, and have fun no matter what type of bathing suit you end up with. Who knows...with all that extra swimming at the beach, maybe you'll start an exercise program?

I just love reading this thread....sometimes I feel so fat & ugly...then I think...you know what??? It's not my problem....it's theirs:p

I absolutely love the referrals........the swim suit cover is great.....I just ordered capris from WomanWithin for me and my GD.....and she is a size 16. sometimes it is very hard for her to find a youthful swim suit.......

I ordered a swim suit for her at JustMySize.......can't wait until it arrives...

I am always looking for reasonably priced capri's in gause......they are so comfortable/dry fast/cool/never wrinkle...........I saw some for $34. but that seems rather high!

Thank you all.........you make me feel "normal".........

Try these, Ladycaveat.

From roamons.com

Or, from silhouettes.com

7B506981_OI_2?$product$

8B502638_WI?$product$

I just ordered the top one in black . . . thank you so much for posting this . . . :p

I have a question for everyone who says don't wear a bathing suit when you horseback ride. What do you do when the horse goes in the water or the beach?

On land I would wear jeans but I thought you had to have a bathsuit on when you go in the water.

Thanks again everyone. You guys made me feel so much better. I never even go to the pool so I didn't know people of all sizes got in their swim suits. So nice to know I'm not alone in my fear of wearing a swim suit in front of others.

Learned the hard way on the mechanical bulll at Gilleys, in THE day. Had on terry top, and pts..saddle horn..ouch on the down slope....if bareback..I'd wear, maybe cargo shorts..if saddle..jeans shorts..sturdy in the area where the 4 seams meet..u can wear what ever over your chosen swimwear bottom. I have a nice..tall torso suit w/a Hawaiian drape across the front. leggs dont ride up, and it dosent look industrial. hope all works for u, and a fab time is in store!..lucky

I just love reading this thread....sometimes I feel so fat & ugly...then I think...you know what??? It's not my problem....it's theirs:p

I absolutely love the referrals........the swim suit cover is great.....I just ordered capris from WomanWithin for me and my GD.....and she is a size 16. sometimes it is very hard for her to find a youthful swim suit.......

I ordered a swim suit for her at JustMySize.......can't wait until it arrives...

I am always looking for reasonably priced capri's in gause......they are so comfortable/dry fast/cool/never wrinkle...........I saw some for $34. but that seems rather high!

Thank you all.........you make me feel "normal".........

As do I, I am at Bealls Outlet almost every Monday, for the senior 15% off, and they have lots of those type clothes..alot $4.99, 7.99, 12.99, and I fill the frequet Shopper card quickly.

I have a question for everyone who says don't wear a bathing suit when you horseback ride. What do you do when the horse goes in the water or the beach?

On land I would wear jeans but I thought you had to have a bathsuit on when you go in the water.

Thanks again everyone. You guys made me feel so much better. I never even go to the pool so I didn't know people of all sizes got in their swim suits. So nice to know I'm not alone in my fear of wearing a swim suit in front of others.

I call us on the board Cruise Critters also..?..Sister??

To the OP - the swim dresses and skirts look very nice on plus size women. I am sure it will be fine and don't worry about being laughed at. If you are like me, you know where you live, if you get my drift. I would never in a million years be seen in a two piece that didn't cover up my rolls. Yet I saw women on our last cruise that really should have been more liberal with the fabric.

Lands End has some great suits. That is where I got mine.

I'm trying to lose weight for our cruise next month and am down about 12 lbs right now. I hope to be able to walk around the deck without putting on my cover up first:p

Oh my Heaven's Pat . . . that has to be one of the cutest puppy dogs I have ever seen!!!! Is it a baby Westie? Tiki, my little imp (Westie) will be ten on May 1st and it's all I can do to keep myself from bringing another little Westie into our home.

Sorry . . . know this has nothing to do with bathing suits. So I'll say something about the bathing suits . . . if one is like me . . . . a plus size woman (18W) I think there are soooo many cute bathing suits out there that one can wear that flatters the body and doesn't show one's tummy. Just my opinion . . . but if someone my size is comfortable wearing a bikini . . . I say go for it.

Thanks for the compliment on my sweet little "Lily"....would you believe she was less then a pound when we got her? She will be 2 on April 4th and a whopping 7 pounds. She is a Teacup Pomeranian( which we do not believe since they told us she wouldn't be over 3 pounds) so we actually call her a Toy Pom!!

Ok ladies, I need help and your honest opinion. I'm going to be going to cruise to the Mexican Riviera and then another cruise to the Caribbean.

As everyone knows a lot of the fun there is the beaches. My problem though is I have not been in a bathing suit in public for about 15 years now.

I have big saddle thighs even for a big girl. Well I'm not big I'm down right fat. I hate to admit it but I'm a size 22!

Anyway, I went today and tried on some swimsuits just to see what they looked like. For the first time in my life I tried on those one piece suits that have a little skirt to them. They covered my saddle thighs just fine. But I don't know about them. They almost look like a short dress.

My question is do any of you wear those? Do you think they look silly? Should I just skip it and stay out of the water?

If you saw a big fat girl in one of those on your cruise would laugh at her?

I know I shouldn't care what others think and since I'm going solo on this trip I kinda figure I could be a bit braver as I won't know anyone. I also think that maybe after the first look people would laugh a bit or crack a joke and then forget about it.

I would really like to go in the water and go horse back riding where they go in the water but I'm just not sure if I should or not.

What do you think?

I read something about board shorts but I don't know what they are. Do you swim in those? Maybe that would be better???

Thanks for your advice and please be honest. It won't hurt my feelings.

Let me just say I know 100% I would NOT wear a bathing suit if anyone I knew was going to be around me.

JoKen...I wish I could just give you a great big old hug right now. Inside that size 22 body is the same person that resides inside us all...no matter what our size is. We all have issues that keep us from being everything that we can be. And you know what? It's okay...we may never resolve them all. But the one thing that we CAN'T do is sit on the sidelines and watch life pass us by because we are concerned about what others will think of us. I can guarantee you that there will be some inconsiderate oafs on your cruise that will snicker at your size...they're the same ones who make jokes about disabled people, folks of different ethnicities, old people, and anyone else who doesn't look and act just like they do. And do you know why? Because they have the exact same insecurities about themselves that you and I and everyone else has but their way of dealing with it is to ridicule.

Buy the swimsuit that you feel best in...skirted suits are everywhere so don't worry about being the only one wearing one. Buy some shorts or a long flowy skirt to wear over it for horseback riding and get out there and just do it! I'll be sending great positive vibes your way. I'm totally in awe of you going horseback riding (let alone in the water!) The thought terrifies me and just this past weekend I acquiesed and told my DH and our friends that I would attempt horseback riding...real soon now.

Big hugs to you Joken...

Have you ever considered getting a suite customed made? I live in Michigan and we have a few stores that do this. I noticed you live in California so I am almost positive you would have these stores around your area. The suites are usually made at the store. You try on "dummy"' suites and if you like it they measure you and custom fit it to your liking. I am 5'9 and have a hard time finding suites that fit me right. If the skirt is two long or two short they fix it. If your breasts are large they fit the top or if they are on the smaller side they can adjust that also. All in all women of all shapes and sizes have body issues. These specialty shops are a very good alternative to department stores suites.

I just have to jump in here and second what everyone else has said ... don't let the embarrassment of wearing a swimsuit stop you from enjoying your vacation!

I did that on our one and only cruise, sadly. Our cruise was to Alaska so we weren't anticipating pool time but I took a suit anyway. The last day of the cruise was an absolutely gorgeous day and there were tons of people in the hot tubs and more than a few braving the cooler water in the pool. DH wanted to join them but I freaked about "looking too fat" and wouldn't even consider it. Yes, there were women of all sizes out there enjoying themselves but I just couldn't do it. So we sat in the bar and watched. How sad! I was so angry at myself and my stupid inhibitions!!!!!

I'm a size 16. I have refused to wear a swimsuit in public for years, even when I was a size 10. I've missed out on a lot of fun in my life because of my low self-esteem and stupid hang-ups.

My DH wants to go on another cruise so badly but I am so worried about going on a "warm weather" cruise that would entail beaches and pool time so I've balked at that. Everyone I know would jump at the chance for a cruise of any sort, yet here I am holding back and thinking "heck, not only would I have to wear a swimsuit but SHORTS!" I haven't worn shorts in public in over a decade. (And let me tell you, wearing jeans all summer long in Texas is a killer ... thank God I finally broke down and bought capris just last year.)

Most of our siblings/relatives have swimming pools and our family gatherings center around cookouts and water play. I sit on the patio (yep, usually in my jeans, ack) and watch my size 28 sister-in-law prancing in the water and having the time of her life, and I so wish I could be like her!!!! I buy a cute new swimsuit EVERY SINGLE YEAR and tell myself that this is the year I'm going to have fun, but then I refuse to put it on when the time comes. (I own several suits with tags still on them, how stupid is THAT?!?!?)

Even so ... I've already bought this year's suit. Yes another new one. (And it's cute! But they all are.) Hopefully this will be the year that I can relax and learn to enjoy life without worrying every second about what I look like. (Or get off my lazy butt and lose some weight, now there's a novel idea ...)

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to encourage you and tell you to get out there and HAVE FUN!!!! I've wasted way too many of my 51 years being self-conscious and missing out on life.

I'm going to think of this thread when I'm tempted to sit on the sidelines this year, and remind myself that life's too short to miss out on the fun.

When you start to worry about how you look in your swimsuit remind yourself just about every other woman around you is busy focusing on the problem area(s) on her own body. As for swim suits, I recommend Lands End suits, they are well made, the fabric is very thick and supportive and they come in so many sizes and cuts. Right now there are some good deals to be had on the overstocks section. Also, I think the sizes run big, but the swimsuits seem to run 'normal'. So if you buy a coverup/water shorts from them and are on the fence between two sizes you might want to pick the smaller size.

Kathy,

Don't feel alone. I have done the same thing. I have a pool in my back yard and I never go in it because I don't want to put a bathing suit on. My sister (whom I live with) has her friends over and all of them are over weight women. They all put suits on. One is huge! She even wears a suit and doesn't think a thing about it.

Every time they come over I think I should be able to put one on if they do but I don't. What a fool.

I was thinking the same things about cruises to beach areas. At first when I booked the Mexican Riviera I thought I may not even get off the ship. I thought I was nuts when I booked one to the Caribbean. I figured I would just shop.

Then the more I thought about it the more I thought what the heck. If I put my swimsuit on without throwing a fuss no one will think a thing about it. It's all the crying about it ahead of time that makes people look at you.

So I got the suit and I'm going to put it on. I won't prance around in it and will have a cover up on or a sundress but will get in the water. As soon as I'm out of the water I will cover up again.

I won't lay out. I have enough age spots and learned the hard way how badly the sun can damage your skin. I used to lay out all the time and hang out at the beach when I was younger. Big mistake!

But I am not going to miss out on any more fun! I've missed out on years of fun times and no more!

I'm sure I won't feel comfortable in a swimsuit but I'm going to feel better then missing out on fun times.

I have always wanted to swim with the dolphins and in May I'm going to do it! I have always wanted to go on a jet ski and in May I'm going to do that!

I think all of us women who are so worried about wearing bathing suits should take a cruise together and do an outing where we proudly put our suits on and do a beach excursion together!

Come on ladies let me hear you say "This year I am putting a suit on and having fun!"

Joanne

Archived