private tour guide in amsterdam

jtb123

I cannot help you with a tourguide, but do you realise it is about 170 mile (270 kms.) one way.

So to get there (if traffic is light, but delays often happen) it will take about 3 hours to get there, the same for the return.

On the northern Europe there is an ad of a dutch private guide.

We will be staying in Amsterdam for a few days and was looking for a private guide to take us to Brugge and Ghent for 1 day. Looked into the train but lots of transfers, Regular tour bus, your time not your own, renting a car and driving ourselves is an option but husband doesn't really want to drive but will if we chose that option. Thought we would check private guide prices also.

May I suggest an alternative way to spend your time in Holland and forego Belgium for another trip? There are so many interesting things to see and do around Amsterdam with relative easy access by train, bus or tram.

After you have explored Amsterdam itself, you could take a short train trip to Delft, a city south of Amsterdam that is almost as charming as Bruges. It also has that medieval atmosphere with busy city square, cathedral, houses and canals that date back several hundred years. It is the home town of Jan Vermeer, the famous Dutch painter from a few centuries ago. You can also visit the pottery factory where you can see how Delfts Blue is made.

Alkmaar is north of Amsterdam. It is where the cheese market is held (I believe on Wednesdays). You may have seen pictures of the men in white overalls and yellow hats carrying the large round cheese on brightly painted sleds, to be weighed and sent to market.

Not far from Alkmaar is Volendam, Edam and Marken, three towns that are along the former Zuiderzee and famous for the eel fishing. You can still see people dressed in the old cotumes going about their daily chores. If you are brave enough, try some smoked eel or other deep fried fish with french fries available from several stands along the waterfront.

Someone else on this forum mentioned going to the Zaanse Schans. You might check that out and if nothing else Google it.

Finally, ask Ine, she is a charming lady on this forum who has provided all of us a ton of great information. I believe she lives some where around Amsterdam. However, I don't think she is a guide like you were looking for.

I indeed like to help people with their requests, be it about The Netherlands (where I live) or about my other favorite destinations like Mexico, Hawaii etc.

I am no guide, but love to travel...

• 4 weeks later...

Ine,

As you are from the Netherlands, I have a question for you. No one in our group of 10 nor from a roll call on this board would like to go to Den Haag and Deflt. I have been to Amstedam a few times but on this stop I would like to go to the Maurits Haus and Delft (with perhaps a stop in Scheveningen as well)--those are my favorite places. We will only be in port from 8 until 5 PM. Private tours are over 400 euros (just for me) and none of the organized groups (comfort tours, etc.) offer this--none stop at Maurits Haus which is one of my favorite museums but instead go to Maduradam which is nice but I don't need to see it again. Any suggestions on how to do (perhaps a driver you recommend) or perhaps by train. Do you think I could do it within the time in port? Thanks.

Ine,

As you are from the Netherlands, I have a question for you. No one in our group of 10 nor from a roll call on this board would like to go to Den Haag and Deflt. I have been to Amstedam a few times but on this stop I would like to go to the Maurits Haus and Delft (with perhaps a stop in Scheveningen as well)--those are my favorite places. We will only be in port from 8 until 5 PM. Private tours are over 400 euros (just for me) and none of the organized groups (comfort tours, etc.) offer this--none stop at Maurits Haus which is one of my favorite museums but instead go to Maduradam which is nice but I don't need to see it again. Any suggestions on how to do (perhaps a driver you recommend) or perhaps by train. Do you think I could do it within the time in port? Thanks.

Train will be best I think, as traffic sometimes can be busy on the roads.

Trains from Amsterdam Centraal Station (just about 10 minutes walk or tramnr. 25 from the cruise-terminal), leave very frequent. To Den Haag Centraal Station there are 2 direct trains each hour. In general leaving at -. 11 and -.41 each hour. Back at -.28 and -.58 each hour.

2nd class dayreturn: E. 18.30 1st class: 31.10. Tickets can be bought at machines in the station or atthe windows with a small surcharge.

(Please watch for pickpockers near the machines...)

More trains with change in Leiden.. (There is another station The Hague HS, so wath your station on the way back!)

Once in The Hague public transport or cab. For trams/buses you need to buy a strippenkaart, that you stamp by zones (2 minimum). This card is for 15 or 40 strippen and can be used by more persons. Stamp the zones required for each person on the same card. Card for sale at trainstation and some stores.

Archived