All Things Freedom of the Seas!

Barb -- checked out your Fantastic Voyage pics!! I'm jealous! I've been wanting to go on those cruises (especially this year with the entertainment they have lined up!), but can't justify the cost p/p! How did you do it 4x!!?! :eek:

Hiya cruisedawgg.. :) I'm glad you liked the FV pics!! FV is no doubt my favorite cruise. Hubby and I have been five times. This will be our 6th year.

For the first five years we have had a double room. This year, we decided to save money and share an (inside) quad with two close friends. :eek: Yikes! Scary I know, but the money we could save.

Well, good ol' Tom Joyner upgraded those of us who had gone 5+ years and who were booked in inside cabins--so now we are in a balcony!!! banana.gif

I cannot tell you how excited we are! I've had balconies before, but would NEVER pay for one on FV.

Hiya cruisedawgg.. :) I'm glad you liked the FV pics!! FV is no doubt my favorite cruise. Hubby and I have been five times. This will be our 6th year.

For the first five years we have had a double room. This year, we decided to save money and share an (inside) quad with two close friends. :eek: Yikes! Scary I know, but the money we could save.

Well, good ol' Tom Joyner upgraded those of us who had gone 5+ years and who were booked in inside cabins--so now we are in a balcony!!! banana.gif

I cannot tell you how excited we are! I've had balconies before, but would NEVER pay for one on FV.

Rub it in why don'tcha! ;)

Yea I know, at the price of the balcony on FV for a family, you could almost buy a new car!

Every year DW and I say "maybe next year". Well 2010 will be our year, although she's not 'on board' with the idea yet. I'll have to make it a surprise -- if i start saving now, I may have enough to get an inside cabin ! :rolleyes:

BTW, I wanted to ask about "Mr. Brown" in your FV08 pic (and other celebs): looks like he had the pool all to himself, did they clear the deck for him?

It is fun, isn't it? by the way, it's nice to see a photo of Patricia in the background. Is Ethan still calling her Trini?

It is loads of fun!! I didn't catch their names, but that lady coach did teach me how to spin on the body board!! She is awesome!!

I am sailing on Freedom in Oct. and am trying really hard to get up the nerve to try the Flowrider!!!

Take care everyone and happy sailing!!!

Michelle

Thanks, Michelle! :D Just do it...it's too fun to miss. Stick with the body board..the standing--surf board -- nearly broke my neck!..:eek:.but the body board is relatively safe..

Love the pix, Barb! If I can do half as well as you, then I'll consider it a success! Unfortunately, I have no grace. ;)

Thanks! It took me a few rounds of practice.. You can do it!!

Wow, looks like you're pretty darn good at it Barb! :) I looove the FlowRider, it is so addicting! :D

You're right...it is very addicting!! I signed up on the first day of the cruise and went just about every day after that. On formal night, DH was like "You're gonna take those bracelets off, huh?" Heck no! They were my badge of honor!!! :D

Rub it in why don'tcha! ;)

Yea I know, at the price of the balcony on FV for a family, you could almost buy a new car!

Every year DW and I say "maybe next year". Well 2010 will be our year, although she's not 'on board' with the idea yet. I'll have to make it a surprise -- if i start saving now, I may have enough to get an inside cabin ! :rolleyes:

BTW, I wanted to ask about "Mr. Brown" in your FV08 pic (and other celebs): looks like he had the pool all to himself, did they clear the deck for him?

;) You know I'm not rubbing it in, right..?..We acknowledge that we are very blessed to be able to go on FV!!

You just gotta make it in 2010...if you love cruising, you will totally love FV!!

It was just a quiet day that "Mr. Brown" was in the pool. Plus, I think it was kinda early.

Hey, you should come join our FV thread...we've had several posters who aren't going on the current year join us and we would welcome you!! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=781351&page=59

I'm lost... what's FV? (I'm assuming Fantastic Voyage, but what exactly does that mean?) :)

Michele: You are correct, FV does stand for Fantastic Voyage. I think Tom Joyner borrowed the phrase from the song by the same title performed by the group Lakeside, but anyway...

The Fantastic Voyage otherwise known as "The Party with a Purpose" is the brainchild of syndicated radio talk show host Tom Joyner. He started this cruise 10 years ago as part of the foundation he founded. The Tom Joyner Foundation raises money for students who run out of money in HBCU's...historically black colleges and universities.

The cruise is definitely pricey as part of the fare is tax deductible because cruisers are making a donation.

What makes it so fantastic is this:

• It's ADULT ONLY - you must be 25 years or older.
  • Tom books singers, comedians, gospel acts, authors, artists and other celebs as entertainment for cruisers and as a result there are concerts every night all over the ship. Some start at 2:30AM! :eek:
  • Each night is a theme night where about 90% of the cruiser costume
    - Represent Night: Wear team jerseys, sorority or frat attire, whatever else you wish to represent; White Night: everyone wears all white; 70's Night: attire from the seventies, of course, Pajama Night: bedtime clothing, Formal Night, Mardi Gras Night: a New Orleans-style parade like none other you've ever seen on board a ship; and Toga Night: cruisers wears different variations of togas.
  • Major sponors give away very nice prizes. For the last two years Ford has given away a free car; Southwest gives away airline tix. (DH and I personally won two in 2006), Home Depot does seminars on board, Budweiser gives away tons, I mean tons of beer on board. Beer drinkers do not have to buy beer on this cruise. Budweiser is everywhere you look.
  • Again, it's TAX DEDUCTIBLE!

So, those are the major things that make FV fun and different. I could go on...but, I'll just say that it is the most fun thing I have ever done in my life which is the reason DH and I have gone so many times. It's really hard for me to get my DH to do any other cruise. He says other cruises are "boring".

Here's this years line up (with more to be added)

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/fv2009/entertainment.html

on the page, you can also see previous year's entertainment.

So, it is the Party with a Purpose!! I can't wait...

FV sailed on Freedom in 2007 and in 2008. I will surely miss her this year and especially that FLOWRIDER!!!!! :D

It has taken me hours, but I am caught up in this thread, and thanks to all who have posted for the wealth of info.

I will be cruising on FOS in November with about 20 family members. It started out as 5 of us and keeps growing. Thankfully the price keeps going up and the number of available rooms keeps going down, so I think we will remain at 22 total.

Anyway, usually when we try to get a large group of family together it is hard to get everyone in the same place at the same time to do anything, so we are aiming to all eat dinner together and anything else is a bonus.

I am trying to come up with some fun, not totally stupid group activities that everyone can participate in. One of my nieces suggested a scavenger hunt on the ship. We figured the easiest way we can do this would be to give everyone the same list of things to find, locate- and have them take pictures of at least 20 of the items (maybe out of 30 or something).

My only problem with that idea, is that since none of us have been on the ship yet- I am finding it hard to come up with things to "find". I would really appreciate it if any of you who have sailed on the ship could help me come up with a list.

Thanks!

I am trying to come up with some fun, not totally stupid group activities that everyone can participate in. One of my nieces suggested a scavenger hunt on the ship. We figured the easiest way we can do this would be to give everyone the same list of things to find, locate- and have them take pictures of at least 20 of the items (maybe out of 30 or something).

My only problem with that idea, is that since none of us have been on the ship yet- I am finding it hard to come up with things to "find". I would really appreciate it if any of you who have sailed on the ship could help me come up with a list.

Thanks!

The Ben & Jerry suite ...

freeicecreamfortheweek.jpg

The front of the bridge (the trick is getting out to the helicopter pad to get the picture) ...

Front.jpg

The ship's photographer ...

IMGP0288.jpg

Mermaid diving through the roof ...

1spg-IMG_1715.jpg

The ship's plaque ...

1saa-IMG_1762.jpg

Watermelon sculpture (or watermelon art) ...

1saf-DCP_0154.jpg

Thanks!

The white obelisk (or needle) ...

1spj-Fowardatrium.jpg

The captain's car ...

1spf-IMG_1714.jpg

Johnny Rockets sign ...

1stx-IMG_1836.jpg

An aerial view of the water park ...

1sxa-H2OZonefromabove.jpg

A picture of another cruise ship ...

css-FreeRhapinCoz.jpg

A sunset ...

o-IMG_2513.jpg

I might be able to come up with some more - if I check the photos that I don't already have hosted on the Internet.

Edited by Cuizer2

Cuizer2,

Hey - how do you get to the helicopter pad? I read somewhere on CC that the helicopter pad is a good place to be for sailaway. Thanks!

If I tell you it will be too easy to get the bridge picture for the scavenger hunt. :p

There are two ways to get there. However, I can only explain one way (I know both ways - but I can't explain the other way).

Go all the way forward on deck four. I've only done this on the starboard side, but it should work on the port side also. You will then come to a flight of stairs up. Go up. Walk forward. You should now be on the helicopter pad.

If I tell you it will be too easy to get the bridge picture for the scavenger hunt. :p

There are two ways to get there. However, I can only explain one way (I know both ways - but I can't explain the other way).

Go all the way forward on deck four. I've only done this on the starboard side, but it should work on the port side also. You will then come to a flight of stairs up. Go up. Walk forward. You should now be on the helicopter pad.

Cool - Thanks! And don't worry - I won't tell anyone else! :D

you guys are awesome. thanks.

WAIT! There is more ...

Ship model ...

IMG_1703.jpg

Picture of a ship under construction ...

IMG_1705.jpg

A creepy looking person ...

IMG_1969.jpg

A bird cage ...

IMG_1984.jpg

An alien ...

IMG_2310.jpg

Interactive art ...

IMG_2409.jpg

All eighteen of these pictures were taken on the Freedom of the Seas in June 2007.

Hi,

can you tell me about Jade? Is it just the Asian food portion of Windjammer? Is there sushi there?

thanks!

I'm not completely sure but I believe it is the asian portion of the windjammer. Don't now about sushi...maybe at dinner as I never saw any at lunchtime.

how often do they have bingo on FOS, how much is it to play, how much can you win (cash-wise) and is the "win a cruise" game a "must go" game or do you have to get bingo in a certain amount of numbers?

obviously i'm asking for my wife and not me. ;);););)