Anyone been on the zodiac ride to duck island?

sparkyt

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if the zodiac ride is one of those "scary "rides like the jet boats in Sydney Harbour. I've read that there's good snorkeling at Duck Island but I didn't want to scare the kids (or me) to death on the ride over.

This will be our first cruise and we're very excited. We have 2 boys aged 11 and 9 and we want to take them snorkeling. Our trip goes to Noumea, Vila, Ouvea and Pentecost so from what I've read on the boards, Noumea or Vila are our only snorkeling options. Thought we might do the Ekasup Village Tour in Vila so I was hoping to go snorkeling in Noumea. Any ideas?

And by the way this site is amazing! I've learnt so much about cruising already and I haven't even left the shore!!!! Thanks everyone for contributing to this site and providing so much info for a novices like me in particular.

Got the blue folder so not long now.:)

Hi, welcome to the site. You can go snorkelling in Vila for free. Take the free ferry to Irrikiki Resort and the staff there will direct you to the snorkelling area. Assuming you either have your own gear or will hire from the ship, there is no cost at all. This is the same area the snorkelling trips from the ship go to.:D:D

I know someone went there recently from CC, but cant remember who??

You dont have to do the P&O tour, you can get a bus or taxi to Anse Vata beach and get a water taxi from there, here is some info,

http://www.newcaledoniatourism-south.com/activities/activities.cfm?oid=174

and I also found this on someones Blog hehe:p there is a pic of the water taxi and some photos of the island

http://www.travelblog.org/Oceania/New-Caledonia/Noumea/blog-208735.html

Good luck

Chez

xx

Hi guys

Welcome from all the Hunter CCer's. Your family will love cruising. Your kids are a great age for a first cruise. Our son was 11 when we first went and it was our best family holiday.:) :)

Jenny

we did the zodiac ride. although it is not as fast as a jet boat if you ask the pilot he will open it up a fair bit making sure he hits the waves we enjoyed it.. the snorkelling on duck island is fantastic but a word of caution to wear footwear on the beach area as there is no sand only dead coral...

have a great holiday

we did the zodiac ride. although it is not as fast as a jet boat if you ask the pilot he will open it up a fair bit making sure he hits the waves we enjoyed it.. the snorkelling on duck island is fantastic but a word of caution to wear footwear on the beach area as there is no sand only dead coral...

have a great holiday

Ah there you are Saka85:) I was trying to think who went there recently and found your post!!! thank god for the search button:p

Chez

xx

I spoke to my friend Rachel and she said the trip they went on wasn't very good.

• The zodiac was slow (but as SAKA86 said ask for faster)
  • the beach was all coral
  • They were told a snack was provided and it wasn't
  • the island didn't accept AUD yet the shore tours place said they did
  • you had to pay for seats or umbrellas on the island
  • all the sea life she saw was the stuff the shore tours talk said to avoid
  • lots of sea snakes

Geez, now I sound really negative. Anyway that was her opinion, sounds like SAKA85 had a much better time.

:D Thanks everyone for your info. You guys are fast. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll think about it over the weekend.:confused:

Thanks aussiedisneyfan for chasing that up for me. Much appreciated. The mention of sea snakes send shivers up my spine. My first snorkeling experience I ran into sea snakes everytime I got in the water and no-one else saw any! And you can't even get away from them on land.

Megagirl thanks for your Hunter CC's welcome. I've noticed there is a lot of us on the boards. We're Novacastrians born and bred, and proud of it. Go the Jets!!!!

Have a great Easter everyone. I'll be trying to refrain from eating too many easter eggs. Don't want any extra kilos before the cruise.:p

Archived