what type clothes and shoes to bring?

We're leaving on 12 day Med. cruise next week from Barcelona and I am unsure of what type of jackets/sweaters, shoes etc. to bring. The cruise line is NCL, and although the dress there is somewhat casual, i understand that most European sailings are a little dressier. Also for myself and DH, any suggestions for what to wear/ bring for shore excursions? We are arriving in Barcelona 2 days pre-cruise and staying in London 4 days post cruise, so due to having to carry luggage am determined this time to pack lighter, but don't want to forget anything necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (this is my first trip to Europe)

We're leaving on 12 day Med. cruise next week from Barcelona and I am unsure of what type of jackets/sweaters, shoes etc. to bring. The cruise line is NCL, and although the dress there is somewhat casual, i understand that most European sailings are a little dressier. Also for myself and DH, any suggestions for what to wear/ bring for shore excursions? We are arriving in Barcelona 2 days pre-cruise and staying in London 4 days post cruise, so due to having to carry luggage am determined this time to pack lighter, but don't want to forget anything necessary. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (this is my first trip to Europe)

Hi Canadarose,

Welcome to Europe and, in answer to your questions, - Layers and comfortable shoes!!!!! You will experience a lot of different temperatures - London is low 40s at the moment and it is creeping up to the low 70s in parts of the Med at the moment. You are right that NCL is very informal (we love their relaxed style) so you don't need to bring heavy suits etc. I would recommend rain wear and clothes that can be layered. You can always buy something thicker in the UK if necessary.

Comfortable shoes are a must as many streets in European destinations are cobbled plus sightseeing invariably means plenty of walking.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday and please try to get out of London for part of your stay. There are a host of wonderful places to see in the UK.

Regards SR

I hope you have a wonderful holiday and please try to get out of London for part of your stay. There are a host of wonderful places to see in the UK.

Regards SR

From a fellow Brit, I couldn't agree more with the above comment. If you don't mind a few hours travelling head to a city called Bath by either train or on a tour, or for something a bit closer try and find a tour or take the train to somewhere like Windsor Castle.

It's spring time here and all the flowers and trees are starting to blossom, one of my favourite times of the year.

Have fun.:)

If you don't mind a few hours travelling head to a city called Bath by either train or on a tour, or for something a bit closer try and find a tour or take the train to somewhere like Windsor Castle.

It's spring time here and all the flowers and trees are starting to blossom, one of my favourite times of the year.

I agree! We were in the UK exactly 5 years ago! Beautiful!! And we did take a tour of Bath and out to Stonehenge. As well, as Windsor Castle!! Then of course all the wonderful London stuff!

missty

I totally agree with the layering thing and to be more specific as to the type of clothes for sightseeing: Men - Dockers or similiar with a polo type shirt or other casual shirt. Women - slacks or capris in the Med, the UK would definately be slacks. At alot of churches and religious sites, women must have their knees and arms covered (no tank tops or shorts). The one thing I marvel at is seeing Italian and French women walking around in very high heels on all those cobbles, it's a talent I sure don't have. I think it is wise to not wear T-shirts or baseball caps with logos or whatever on them, today conservative is the way to go.

Archived