Puerto Vallarta Resturants

snowman

AstridVallarta,

I will be arriving in PV on 5/1. I have been advised by several restaurants that they will be closed for the holiday. How wide spread will this practice be and what information can you supply regarding which restaurants will be closed or open?

Thanks for any assistance.

For a special occasion like a birthday, watching a beautiful sunset and having a delicious dinner at the Vista Grill may be what you are looking for http://vistagrill.com/ . Another favorite for food, but lacking the view is Agave Grill http://www.vallartaonline.com/restaurants/agavegrill/ . Additionally, Cafe des Artistes is outstanding http://www.vallartaonline.com/restaurants/cafedesartistes/ .

I would gladly go to any of these restaurants again and again! ;)

I have not heard of any restaurant that might be closed during labor day. I will try to find out and post it, but cannot remember that restaurants were closed this date in the past.

As of my favourite restaurants: On the Malecon (nice view!) La Chata. (mexican with Mariachi music, ask them to play Las Mananitas, a birthday serenade), close to the Malecon up the mountain, Barcelona Tapas. My boyfriend took me here last year on my bday. Other favorites of mine are Fajitas Republic (old town), Langostinos (Los Muertos beach), La Piazatta and Espresso (both old town, both italian). Tapas del Mundo (bucerias) Mezzagiorno (bucerias), Mariscos Polo (old town, great seafood), Hacienda SAn Angel (bit expensive but in my opinion so much better than Cafe de los artistes). Vitae (mediterrenean food, would love to go there on my next Bday, (hint hint)on the new part of the Malecon), Vitea (same owner), Agave Grill (one block from the Malecon), El coleguita (Marina Vallarta), Victors Tacuba (Marina Vallarta) La bodeguita del Medio (Malecon), Bananacantina (Old town, one block from Los Muertos beach). And then a handful of local restaurants without any atmoshere but FANTASTIC food.

AstridVallarta

Thank you for your response.

I was trying to secure reservations for 10 people so I thought there would be some interest in seating a larger group. Instead, I was told by the Vista Grill and its affiliates, Daiquiri Dicks and a couple of other places whose names I can't recall, that they were very sorry but they were giving their employees the day off.

To make further inquiry, when I booked my canopy tour, I asked the reservation person for information on restaurants and when she suggested some I had contacted, I told her of their responses and she was very surprised, like you were.

Anyway, I have copied down your suggestions and I appreciate the information.

We spend a couple of months a year in PV. For special ocassions, the decision would be very easy (for us). We would go to Cafe d'Artists and ask for a table in the outdoor garden section. However, you would need to dine by around 6 in order to allow enough time for a leisurely dinner and getting back to the ship. Our 2nd choice would be the River Cafe. The problem with both of these restaurants is that we would not normally consider dining in either before 7:30. The River Cafe normally has entertainment, but that does not even start until after 8.

Hank

Since La Palapa is closed as well as Vista Grill ( my two favorites!!) i'll suggest a new one that was recommended to me and i really enjoyed this one and whould definatly return there when i go again.

Its name is Hacienda San Angel and it has a panoramic view overlooking PV. You do not stumble across this restaurant because its in a Hacienda once owned by Richard Burton. It basically now a boutique hotel.

You have to make reservations in advanced for dinner.It is spectacular once you knock at the door( yes knock!!!) with an amazing courtyard and beautiful landscaping.Dinner prices are no different than La Palapa,Vista grill etc.I think if you Google it you will find their menu posted on the website.

lv2cruz,

Well, I took your advice and did a search on Hacienda San Angel. The place looks great and the menu is very interesting.

That being said, I'm a little leery of a restaurant that doesn't list its prices anywhere. I checked several web sites and no one mentioned the price of even a part of any meal.

I'm guessing it's pretty expensive and I'm traveling with a group of 10 people. I can't recommend a place without giving them some information re: cost.

Mark, maybe La Chata on the Malecon would be fun for your group. It is a mexican restaurant with live Mariachi music and the best place for a sunset. It is not expensive at all, about 10-15 US for a great meal. There is mexican food as well as international.

A bit more expensive but really nice too is barcelona tapas.

Or maybe Langostino`s, that is very close to La Palapa, and the food is good too.. Much cheaper by the way, only not that fancy as La Palapa.

There is a new place close to La palapa too, The Beach house. I have not been there yet but friends told me it is really good.

Astrid (if I may call you that),

Thanks for the input. Here is a list I compiled and it includes La Chata.

Bistro Jazz Cafe

Isla Rio Cuale Local 16-A

Old Town

River Café

Isla Río Cuale 4

Old Town

Los Arbolitos

Camino de la Rivera 184

Old Town

Tequilas Cafe

Malecon

Old Town

La Chata

Paseo Díaz Ordaz 708 (Malecon)

Old Town

Trio Restaurant Bar Cafe

Guerrero #264,

El Centro

Restaurant Bar Pipis

corner of Pipila and Guadalupe Sánchez

El Centro

Cafe de Olla

Basilio Badillo 168

Romantic Zone

I will add your suggestions to the list and if you believe anything on my list should be eliminated, please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lunch in PV? We're going to walk around on our own before ending up at Krystal for a massage at 3:30. Looking to have a good, authentic lunch before that.

Thanks in advance.

lv2cruz,

Well, I took your advice and did a search on Hacienda San Angel. The place looks great and the menu is very interesting.

That being said, I'm a little leery of a restaurant that doesn't list its prices anywhere. I checked several web sites and no one mentioned the price of even a part of any meal.

I'm guessing it's pretty expensive and I'm traveling with a group of 10 people. I can't recommend a place without giving them some information re: cost.

Prices for this restaurant i guess can be expensive.Here is my recolection.

Dinner salads around $4-7.Entree's i think $15-25.Desserts $5-8.

I think our tab which includes tip for 3 was $150.This did include a bottle of wine( i think $30.00) which i find in Mexico to be so expensive and over priced, and Chilean wine at that! We did have salads, and two shared desserts.A few martinis were in there too.I believe around $7 or$8.

These prices are no different than La Palapa, Vista Grill.For good restaurants in Mexico, it can be expensive almost more than the US.Go figure alot are owned by americans too!!

So with that being said, it all depends on what you are looking for.This restaurant is definalty very unique and different, not to mention the view especially at sunset is drop dead spectacular. But if you are with a group of 10 and dont want to obligate people to spending a fair amount of money, i'd stick to anyone of the ones on your list you compiled.

I have been to River Cafe for lunch which was good.La Chata for the view,casual. Pipis, loud but fun and casual but no view.

Mark, wow you did your research!

Anyway, it is kind of difficult to say, as those are all completly different restaurants.

Tequilas on the malecon was always one of my favorite, but it is closed, they are making another restaurant there.

Trio is really nice too, but, in that case, to make it even more difficult, i would prefer Vitea, on the new part of the malecon. Same owners as Trio but with a nice view (sunset). Food is mediterranean.

Cafe de Olla I do not like that mucht. I have never understood why there is a big line outside. The food is so-so, it is cheap but mmm, just no. In case you like tex'mex, fajitas republic is so much nicer, same prices but the setting is nice (no view though)

the others that you mentioned Le bistro and River cafe are kind of expensive, but the food is really good.

pips´I have never liked. yes, the make guacamole at your table, but everybody is so loud that you have to scream to the other persons at your table. Have been there a couple of times, and they always put their Fans at high speed that your food is almost blown away from your plate.

So, it depends on the budget, and your taste, but i would suggest Vitea or La Chata. both have a great view, and fantastic views. Let me know what kind of food you like most 8and your friends of course) and maybe I can help you out better.

Astrid

Astrid,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. If you ever visit San Diego, I hope I can be of similar help.

Our group really likes Mexican food, and not just tacos and burritos (not that there's anything wrong with those items). We prefer "flavorful" dishes but with the exception of myself (I eat jalapeños straight from the jar), it does not need to be real spicy. We also like to have a few margaritas both before and during the meal, so they should be terrific. Finally, a view if possible would really be great, as we expect sunset about 7:30 p.m.

I understand Le Bistro and River probably don't have a sunset view so they probably won't work. La Chata I think does, so it is now at the top of the list. I don't know much about the ones you suggested earlier, but if they fit into the above criteria, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Well, i think you made a good choice. I have never tried the margaritas at la Chata, but the food is just what you mentioned!

I found the website of their restaurant in Guadalajara, with menu and prices. Make sure you try the Arrachera!

mmmmmmm I am getting hungry myself!

http://www.lachata.com.mx/

Archived