Amadeus Heartland cruise - Prague to Paris

Riverobsessed

We are doing this same cruise---only in September, 2009. I have heard that there is only one optional excursion on this itinerary--there were several on our Danube cruise with Amadeus. Does anyone know what that optional tour is???

We were very satisfied with Amadeus when we went last September. In looking at all of the cruise lines (in our price range), we decided that Amadeus was the best overall choice: English speaking; non-smoking except on top deck; cabin size; free wine--that being said, Avalon compared favorably but the interior in the DVD looked dark as opposed to the lighter interior of the Amadeus ships.

As for the hot tub, we didn't see anyone in it last late September--on the Danube, the top deck was closed a lot because of the locks we had to pass through. If there is a hot tub, good weather and the deck is open, I think it would be a great way to see the countryside.

Hope this helps.

Mom C

hELLO,

We are going on the Heartland tour on May 22. I am returning to take the same cruise with 16 people who wanted us to go with them.

When you arrive in Prague, the next day you will have a half day tour of Prague and an optional tour to Terezin is offered. I highly recommend it. It is a 4 or so hour trip by bus to the camp. The cost was $49 US two years ago. You will never forget this tour.

We were also offered a folkloric and dinner, a typical Czech dinner, for $69Us. A great time was had and they had us joining in with them as they danced. A good time to meet fellow passengers.

When you get to Wurzburg you can take an optional tour TO Rothenburg, a Medieval walled city. We did this and it was quite enjoyable. I recommend it. Be sure to buy the cd of the town. Ask for it at the stores.

On day 8 you have a choice of taking a trip to Mainz or travel to Heidelberg. We chose Heidelberg and as usual found it to be well worth going. This trip we will do the Mainz trip.

After boarding the ship we have a special treat on the Rhine. Our host or hostess will narrate the river cruise by telling us about the castles we will see along the river. This is very enjoyable as you also see the vineyards and beautaiful scenery.

When we get to Koblenz we will have a walking tour with a surprise.

When we arrive in the little town of Zell, the towns people welcome us with open arms and we are treated to a music concert in town and a special treat by the little cats. We are also invited to the wine festival in town. This is a good time to meet and talk with the people. Free wine too.

The ship offers regular walking tours and easy walking tours.

When we arrive in Trier we will have a tour as well as a tour in Luxembourg and then on to Paris.

Attire aboard ship is casual. No coats and ties for men , just open collared shirts and nice slacks. For women nice pants and tops. Just look nice. For tours slacks, shorts, tops etc. Bring a light sweater to wear inside the ship as it is air conditioned.

I do not recommend open toed shoes as many of the towns have cobble stone streets.

Electric converters are needed for charging batteries and shaving. Hair dryers are furnished, but are not heavy duty.

All dining is on the lower deck. Breakfast is buffet with everything you would want. You must ask for porriage and hot chocolate.

Lunch is sit down with three or four items to choose. If you don't see anything you like they offer a HUGE burger with fries.

Dinner is sit down and you are treated to the wine of the region. It is usually dry. Soft drinks are free at this meal only. There are three or four entres offered. If you don't like what is offered you can then choose a steak or chicken. Vegetarian meals are offered and you must ask for sugar free desserts.

You may sit any where you desire during the meals. This is a good time to meet new passengers.

In the evenings there will be a beer tasting night,perhaps a glass blowing demo, The Zell cats, and a crew show, which is fabulous and perhaps a scavenger hunt.

Weather... It is usually cool in the morning when you start your tour so take a light jacket or sweater. Last year temperatures got into the 80s. We were fine until we got to Trier, Luxembourg and Paris . It was cold and rainy. Like 50 and low 60 degrees. We had 70 and 80s the rest of the time.

When we were on the Rhine we had an ice cream social on the upper deck. As much ice cream with all the toppings and fruit one would like. It was a hot day so it was a welcomed treat.

I believe that the first three or four days we were not allowed up on deck as the bridges are low. The captin has to put the wheelhouse down.

As for the hot tub, I really didn't see anyone except the crew use it on their off time.

There are 25 bicycles for you to use. You bike along the river, the staff packs you lunch and you meet the ship at the next town. Sometimes you catch up with the ship and everyone aboard waves.

Any more questions? Just let me know.

Kite

Archived