17 Year Old Wants To Learn To Scuba

salami

One day is impossible. The fastest way would be eLearning at padi.com for the academics, then find an instructor to do the pool work as an outgoing referral. There are a minimum of 4 open water dives required for certification, and no more than three can be done in any one day.

Another option is to have her certified as a PADI Scuba diver instead of a full open water diver. This would enable her to dive with a PADI Pro such as a divemaster or instructor. It is about half of the regular course as far as time commitment.

My advice is to do a series of Discover Scuba programs wherever you are going. It's reasonably safe, and would get her in the water until she can get certified.

Dale

PADI OWSI

;)Going on the CB for a week and wondered how quickly my daughter can learn and obtain PADI? Leaving tomorrow so grateful for comments pls.:D

Just thought about doing it but might not be possible?

Agree that the only opportunity you have is a "discover scuba" (may be offered throught the ship's excursion desk). Bascially what you do is go into a pool, or quiet cove in the ocean, where you are taught basic skills, clear your mask, breathing through a regulator, maintaining bouyancy, etc. by a certified instructor. You are then taken on a "guided dive" where the instructor montiors and adjusts your equipment as necessary as you swim along and enjoy the view. These types of dives do NOT count towards certification but do give you the opportunity to experience what it's like to dive in the ocean and see a lot of fish up close and personal. If your daughter decides she likes her experience then she can check on getting certified when she returns. I did discover dives in the Caribbean for about 10 years before I got certified (didn't have a local shop or dive buddy so I was just diving occasionally and this type of dive worked for me). But a whole world of opportunites open up once you're certified so I recommend persuing a certification if she really likes it.

Randall

one other option is to take the course ( open water ) on board, but getting certified " quickly" in my opinion is not a good way to learn.....but all the previous ideas are goo too, infact, my wife wants to try diving so we are doing a discover scuba next month.....if she likes it...she will take the cert. class this spring

Archived