Alaska - keeping it simple

hospsafe

It took a couple of cruises to learn how to pack light for the Caribbean. Even though I travel for business 40 weeks a year I will admit I am at loss when it comes to preparing for our Alaska cruise in June. A simple list with qty's would be helpful aside from telling me to wear layers. That much I know. Its what kind of "layers" that has me confused.

Thanks

I'll look at my actual list later, but a days' worth of layers for me in Alaska looked like this:

Port day:

smartwool socks or hiking socks w/ coolmax

goretex hiking shoes

ottoman knit pants

short sleeve coolmax t-shirt

long sleeve dry-fit overshirt w/ zip neck

lightweight fleece jacket

lightweight goretex jacket

lightweight fleece gloves/earband

We had many days that were sunny and in the 70s, so I'd be down to short sleeves most of the day. But the days might have started out cooler, or they rained--at a couple points, I did have all my layers on. The bag I carried on land was a "healthy back bag" by Ameribag--medium or large size, I can't remember--but big enough for a couple layers to fit in it when necessary.

I brought pieces to mix & match for day, a couple different pieces to mix & match for night, and separates for formal night (one St John skirt, two different top options)

I only brought 3 pairs shoes--goretex hiking shoes, black satin sandals, black Privo mary janes. I had 3 bags total--1 25", 1 22", 1 tote bag. The big suitcase had a large present for my niece (family live in AK) so that space was used for souvenirs on the return trip. We were gone 12 or 13 days.

The photo in my avatar is me on our balcony in Alaska--wearing my headband and my lightweight fleece jacket. The rest of our AK cruise photos are here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560818655qzQSxT

first layer--light shirt/t-shirt, second layer--thin fleece shirt or jacket or thin wool sweater. third layer, either quilted warm windbreaker jacket (ski parka) or thin water/wind proof jacket --preferrably with hood.

add an extra thin sweater or fleece vest to "layer" on if this is not enough--bring thin gloves, warm hat or headband and sun hat.

the key is to wear light layers--add more as needed--and skip the bulky clothes. the layers trap air and keep you insulated and warm.

alaska can be 80 or can be drizzly and 50. be prepared for both sun and cold.

covering your head if cold is very key.

I took camisole tops, short sleeved T's and long sleeved T's, 3 of each. I took along 2 shirt/jackets so I didn't always have to lug along a jacket every day. One pair of jeans and about 3 pair casual knit pants, like yoga pants. I did take along 2 pair of sneakers, but one pair would have been sufficient. Hiking boots are only needed if you plan to go hiking. I used the laundry service to cut back on the amount of packing space, it was cash well spent.

Do take at least one pair of shorts, your bathing suit and flip flops for the pool or hot tub.

A lightweight raincoat is essential, take one that is long enough to cover your bum when you sit down. You may want lightweight gloves and a hat for the glacier day. A lightweight fleece jacket is sometimes needed. June is usually in the mid 60's with lower rainfall than most other months of the cruise season. I packed the jackets, hats and gloves in compression bags to reduce the size.

I know it's not always accurate, but check your weather at www.weather.com a couple of days before leaving to make any adjustments. Check each and every port stop you will be going to, the weather can be different at each one.

Leave home the heavy jackets, turtlenecks and long underwear unless you are going to go onto a glacier. It's summer in Alaska, not winter :)

NIght time packing is the same as any other cruise, the temps are controlled by the ship. We found the time at sea to be rather mild, warmer than the port days.

I'll look at my actual list later, but a days' worth of layers for me in Alaska looked like this:

Port day:

smartwool socks or hiking socks w/ coolmax

goretex hiking shoes

ottoman knit pants

short sleeve coolmax t-shirt

long sleeve dry-fit overshirt w/ zip neck

lightweight fleece jacket

lightweight goretex jacket

lightweight fleece gloves/earband

We had many days that were sunny and in the 70s, so I'd be down to short sleeves most of the day. But the days might have started out cooler, or they rained--at a couple points, I did have all my layers on. The bag I carried on land was a "healthy back bag" by Ameribag--medium or large size, I can't remember--but big enough for a couple layers to fit in it when necessary.

I brought pieces to mix & match for day, a couple different pieces to mix & match for night, and separates for formal night (one St John skirt, two different top options)

I only brought 3 pairs shoes--goretex hiking shoes, black satin sandals, black Privo mary janes. I had 3 bags total--1 25", 1 22", 1 tote bag. The big suitcase had a large present for my niece (family live in AK) so that space was used for souvenirs on the return trip. We were gone 12 or 13 days.

The photo in my avatar is me on our balcony in Alaska--wearing my headband and my lightweight fleece jacket. The rest of our AK cruise photos are here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560818655qzQSxT

Heh - lovely pictures of Alaska. Thanks for posting them.

We are plannng a trip next year to Anchorage - haven't chosen a ship yet.

I have taken a half dozen cruises and the only certainty about the weather is that is is unpredictable and changeable.

I definitely take 2 turtlenecks in a light fabric (Nike Dri Fit is my favorite) as well as a couple of long sleeve tees for layering. I only take one short sleeved tee and do not take shorts at all except for my workout clothing. Cords and knit yoga style pants work better for me than jeans.

We wore gloves and hats (ski headband for me) when on our balcony most days. Rain gear is essential IMO.

I prefer a waterproof shoe to boots or athletic shoes personally for excursions and walking around in port.

Don't forget to pack a good pair of binoculars.

For evenings, I leave any tropical fabrics and/or prints at home. Matte jersey wrap dresses, skirts, and nice dress slacks are my choices for dinner on non formal nights and my formalwear is typically matte jersey sheath long dresses that can be glammed up with accessories.

We did a lot of hiking on our trip, which is why the goretex hiking shoe worked so well for me. Easier to pack than a boot, flexibile enough to use in the gym when I desired, and completely waterproof when walking in the rain or, oops, slipping into the river when we were geocaching with my brother & sis-in-law:o

We did a lot of hiking on our trip, which is why the goretex hiking shoe worked so well for me. Easier to pack than a boot, flexibile enough to use in the gym when I desired, and completely waterproof when walking in the rain or, oops, slipping into the river when we were geocaching with my brother & sis-in-law:o

I agree that the activity determines the footwear. When we went dogsledding in the mud, they would have come in handy:).

I agree that the activity determines the footwear.

Completely! And that's true for any cruise, which is why it helps when people ask about what to wear--it's nice to know what they want to do:D I don't usually go lay out on a beach when I'm on a warm-weather cruise, so I need something more than a flip-flop to get me through a port day:p And AK is just a totally different kettle of fish...

Some of the more "extreme" excursions in Alaska do provide footwear (heavy boots) from the descriptions I read. Our one "big" excursion while cruising was to be a helicopter ride to and hiking on a glacier, but we got weathered out. Oh well:cool: I'd rather be safe than dead.....

I agree on the goretex shoes, this is what I brought for our Alaskan vacation and cruise and wore them all of the time. I also took lined wind pants which were great. I wore them pair with Cuddle Duds, long johns, and I was always warm. If you are planning on doing any fishing I would invest in a pair of goretex pants, they are spendy but when we went fishing it was really cold that day and with the wind blowing and the water spraying I never had a problem with getting wet. Enjoy your trip, Alaska is amazing!

I know the search feature isn't working well now, but last year on the Alaska board we had quite the discussion on where to find goretex at budget prices--I got my goretex pants for $10 at an LLBean outlet in Williamsburg VA--total score! Both my husband and I buy much of our outdoor clothing through www.sierratradingpost.com - we both got our goretex shoes there a while back (mine are Lowe and his are Merrells). I'm always warmer--far warmer than my husband--so I did not bring any long underwear layers to Alaska--and I didn't need them. It's all about knowing your personal comfort zone too!

Archived