Drinks on the Emerald

Hi! does anyone know what the beer is on the emerald,also

what lager is served.

Is it worth paying £149 each for the drinks package or will i

be better off just paying for my drinks on board.

We are not massive drinkers,we like a bottle of wine with

dinner and a couple of pints afterwards,and a nightcap ie a baileys

thanks in advance :)

Hi,

We have been on 2 Thomsons Cruises and have not paid for the all inclusive we like to have a couple of lagers at lunch 3/4 drinks in the evening and it has always worked out much cheaper to pay for the drinks rather than all inclusive. Also if you intend to get of the boat most days you are not there to take advantage of the all inclusive.

We are looking to book the emarald for this summer. Have you just recently booked ? Are there any bargains around for this cruise?

Hope the above helps

Hi! does anyone know what the beer is on the emerald,also what lager is served.

Think the beer was Boddingtons and the lager Stella ?

Is it worth paying £149 each for the drinks package or will i be better off just paying for my drinks on board.

We are not massive drinkers,we like a bottle of wine with

dinner and a couple of pints afterwards,and a nightcap ie a baileys

thanks in advance :)

What you've got to ask yourself is; Can you each drink £149 worth of alcohol over the seven days.

I'd say it is do able if you look at a couple of lunch time drinks, a couple more during the heat of the afternoon, evening and "one for the road". I'd say you'd probably break even but if in doubt pay as you go :)

hi we have been on the destiny which is a bigger ship but have not taken up the #149 offer each time we have been . the prices on board are very much pub prices and restaurant proces for wine. I think th epaskage is a waste of money as each time we are in port we get off. Unless you intend to stay on board and drink all day and night then i its a waste of money. Obviously if you intend to spend #22 a day on drink then snap it up.........................so it really depends how much you like to drink

• 4 weeks later...
What you've got to ask yourself is; Can you each drink £149 worth of alcohol over the seven days.

Remember that, if the "all inclusive" price includes soft drinks (cola, orange etc) as they normally do, in a hot climate you may take more drinks that you first thought, not just alcohol.;)

bfn

A little cheat you could do but are not supposed to is get one drinks package as you are allowed two drinks on any order, and as the last poster said you can soon add up on your soft drinks. The beer is Bodingtons and lager is Stella as another poster pointed out. I have been on a few cruises now and this one is my favorite for the ports. One other thing the drinks package does not include bottled water but there are plenty water stations about.

Billy

Remember that, if the "all inclusive" price includes soft drinks (cola, orange etc) as they normally do, in a hot climate you may take more drinks that you first thought, not just alcohol.;)

bfn

Cola, Orange, Soft drinks.....................what's one of them then :D

Oops...................just remembered that I have some of that brown fizzy stuff in my Jim Beam :o

Don't forget the all inclusive package also covers cocktails and shots. Plus sparkling wine & house wine by the glass.

I have a full price list in the house I will upload it to the net and add a link later

Shelley

A little cheat you could do but are not supposed to is get one drinks package as you are allowed two drinks on any order, and as the last poster said you can soon add up on your soft drinks. The beer is Bodingtons and lager is Stella as another poster pointed out. I have been on a few cruises now and this one is my favorite for the ports. One other thing the drinks package does not include bottled water but there are plenty water stations about.

Billy

My next cruise there not actually offering the drinks package (On the Baltics Cruise) however when I mentioned the package they did say you had to buy 2 if there was 2 of you travelling,maybe they have got wise :mad:

It has always been stated in the brochure that if the All Inclusive package is to be purchased it must be by all members of the party ~ So you can't opt out for instance and one of you get the adults and one the childs even if you say that one of you is tee-total or that you don't drink for religious reasons ~ you would still be charged for 2 adults.

I have never paid for the all inclusive package, it has always been free for booking early on the med/red sea itineraries.

Shelley

Hi Shelly.

A while back we bought the drinks package on the Emerald and were sitting with some other couples who said we were silly to buy 2 as they had one between them. This was a while ago though and maybe things are different now or they were pulling my leg. I am the same as you, I book early and get it free, so if I have given anyone false advice please accept my apologies. It was meant to try and help.

Billy.

• 2 weeks later...

We have tried it both ways on several Thomson Cruises and have come to the conclusion that Thomsons know exactly how to set the price. Originally the AI package was £99 in the immediate post Airtours days. That was probably about right and represented good value. A normal couple where one half drank more than the other would probably break even.

We have paid £130 each plus £50 for our daughter and kept all our receipts to do a comparison at the end, we probably just about broke even. We were however relieved of the "worry" of a mounting bar bill. Remember that this will cover all glasses of wine you have with meals, the numerous soft drinks that you have to remain hydrated, the coffees that you would normally have to pay for at the bars rather than in the restaurants and a chance to try that cocktail you are curious about.

Is it worth it? If you are the type to spend all day on the ship rather than getting off, (and I know some Thomson cruisers that are that pleased with the ship, and cruise with them so often, that they are happy to do so) then you will be able to get good value from the package. If at least one of you likes a drink and you want peace of mind, then you will be able to relax, enjoy yourself and probably break even.

Ideally, if you book early and get the package included, you are laughing although you may miss out on last minute discounts.

However, at £149 pp x 3, I would not consider it. you only need to work out how many drinks that would take to cover a bar bill that big.

You just need to do the sums and make your choice. I just wish they would offer it at that price on the American style lines

PS as for buying one package between two...... that could only really be done as part of a large group. The wait staff take all your cards until they get to know you and they would soon twig what you are doing when you order two drinks for one person and none for the accompanying person. They are not stupid. You could easily scam them if you were in a group but they would probably work it out, but at the end of the day probably won't really care. As a couple, it would not wash.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a call from my tour opertor last week saying that the holiday I booked eight months ago was cancelled, so could I call in to choose a different one. I booked the Thomsons Emerald and was asked if I required the drinks package as well. As my husband was in work I had to make the decision myself on the spot so I said yes, not realising until after, that it worked out at over forty pounds worth of drink each day. As we're not heavy drinkers I went back to the tour operator and asked if I could cancel the package, and was told that I could but there would be a charge of fifty pounds each, needless to say I left things as they were. So if you see two people permanently smashed out of their brains it will be us!!!!!

Archived