Transatlantic to Barcelona

pdaniel

The Hoverspeed was a boat that travelled from Dover to Calais. Originally there was a Griffon large scale hovercraft that crossed the channel, but it has been retired. Now they have a few high speed twin hull autoferries that make the crossing, generally going about 30-40 knots. They have a first class passenger cabin with drinks and an airplane style meal included. It really is not as fast or cheap as the Chunnel, so we only did it once. The 'tarmack' where the hovercraft used to slide off the land onto the water is still there, but not in use (hovercrafts drink LOTS of fuel when they are turbine driven)

The Dover to Calais is a very popular weekend trip for wine lovers from the UK / London area. Calais has many 'Costco' style wine and alcohol wholesale to the public stores that have great wines and very low prices. If you buy about 4 or 5 cases of wine it will pay for your fuel and chunnel fees for the drive from London. Check out Tesco.com or google Calais Wine Stores to see.

Thanks, Wayne, but my question was rhetorical. Tha hovercraft was "classed" by it's operators as a plane and, because of the nature of travel, it "took off" and "landed. I travelled on it several times and nowadays take the shuttle through the Channel Tunnel four or five times a year for lunch and to stock up with wine, etc.

Living 50 miles or so from the Tunnel entrance, I am back home by mid-afternoon after a day trip.

Sorry, folks. Very much off-topic. Enjoy your cruise on a real boat, Wayne.:)

Oops, sounds like you know all about it. The Chunnel is the greatest, I agree!

I see your favorite destination is Alaska, too! Hope you get to go soon, I will be back there in August. I really miss the fishing, and living in a house with a yard. In Baku all we have is a flat with a view!

Starting to count the days to our Voyager cruise!!

I see your favorite destination is Alaska, too! Hope you get to go soon, I will be back there in August. I really miss the fishing, and living in a house with a yard. In Baku all we have is a flat with a view!

Alaska was our first cruise. In late May 2006 we boarded Mariner in Vancouver and had the most superb experience. We could not fault the ship, ports of call or Regent and we have cruised with them since until my wife was taken ill last year and we had to cancel an Osaka to Hong Kong cruise on Mariner. Nowadays we have to enjoy our cruising vicariously.

So don't omit to post your thoughts on your forthcoming cruise, Wayne!:)

We received docs yesterday, DW read the dress codes before I could remove them. Several discussions with friends on country club , informal and formal. I read the portion on bar setup and was happy. Just let me on and I bet they won't throw us off

Grump - have you gone to the REgent website and started your 'My Cruises' account? You can pre-order the bar set up, as well as make restaurant reservations.

Two weeks from now we will be in Maimi, and my DW (SWMBO) will be in a shopping frenzy. We also have a 20kg baggage limit (european budget airline restrictions) so it should get exciting!

We also got our docs just last week. Interesting that the only formal nights are on the first leg of the trip. The second leg is all cc casual or informal. I have been traveling a lot on business this year and was concerned I wouldn't fit into my tux, but tried it on a week ago and all is well - took it to the cleaners and all my cruising apparel is now cleaned and pressed. (Well, usually some of it has to get pressed again on the ship). Susan's clothes went to cleaners on Saturday, but her primary evening gown is waiting for the ship. She is going shopping this weekend with our daughter who is visiting for Passover and my pocketbook already has the pre-cruise shakes. It's quite OK though - my wife is gorgeous!!

-

So, if someone can't find us we are in 883. It appears our cell phone will work aboard ship, which makes staying in touch so much easier than past years. I think I'll still keep it turned off most of the time, though!!

-

How long does it take to get from Baku?!! Isn't that near the Caspian Sea? When are you leaving for Miami?

-

We are getting more and more excited about the cruise.

-

See everyone soon!! Jeff

Jeff,

Baku to London is just 4-5 hours straight over the black sea., then London to Miami is the standard 8-9 hrs depending on winds.

Baku is on the Absheron peninsula which justs from the west coast of the caspian sea. Once you eat fresh Caspian caviar (I prefer the dark green beluga) you cannot eat anything over two weeks old, the taste just goes downhill so fast; we will see how the Voyager does for freshness.

We leave on Saturday, the 26th, arriving at my brother's house in So Dade on Sunday afternoon (overnight in London at Paddington Hilton)

Yep, it is getting close now!

Where is everyone? Busy packing? Sitting on a chair in some store while SWMBO frantically shops for 'THE dress'?

We are partially packed, and now I am in the mad rush at work to hand things over and pretend that I don't know I will have a stack of stuff to do when I return. I am just telling everyone that my decisions will get more difficult to get as the days before my departure grow short; I have to work up to choices like:

Q1: Should we dress for breakfast, or order in?

Q2: Would you like a Mimosa, dear?

Q3: Is it too windy to go out on the deck, or should we visit the pool?

Q4: Bingo or the lecture?

Q5: Red or White...........

Q6: Should we ask the butler for more ice?:eek:

Here's a view of the cruise ships available here: think the Voyager will be nicer?

CaspianShipyard3.jpg

See you all soon......

:D

Cabin numbers in case we get lost are;-

neviboy (Neville and Hannah ) 727

grey gypsy (Jeff and ?) 883

please bring this wee group up to date.

waynegoat please call when you are in MIA. 954-972-6401

We pack on Wed. a.m. and check with our friends at Regent as to when we can board. We are a half hour away. We like to board early instead of twiddling our thumbs at home !!!

The only extra clothing that we need will be a couple of sweaters and a windbreaker, since we only have summer wear. Temps. should be in the high sixties or low seventies. Weather here is in the eighties, and will remain that way until the end of April, and no rain.

Most people are on the pool deck for the departure. Tables are set up with appetisers, etc. and the bar is the busy area.

I will have a CC plaque on my shoulder so you can spot us all !!!

We are on this cruise also (and have "chatted" with Waynegoat on the rollcall thread. We're in 819 and look forward to meeting all the CC'ers. Are you still planning to meet at the bar next to Compass Rose or the pool deck bar for the sailaway? Gail and Bill

Glad to see you checking in!

I wonder if pdaniel, the person who started this thread, ever booked the Horizion suite, or somewhere else?

Thanks to you all for staying with the thread, as anticipation is half the fun!

Off to work! (only 4 days till travel begins for us!)

We(DW and myself) are in cabin #821, which I understand is on the "wrong" side of the ship for this crossing, but who cares, I'm just happy to be on board, up right and fairly sound as the song goes. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

To recapitulate:-

Gray gypsy suite 883 Jeff.

Old Grump " 821 no names

Cruisingg " 819 no names

Neviboy " 727 Neville and Hannah.

Meet from 6 - 7 at the pool bar. I have a large cruisecritic sign from a previous cruise to display somewhere. We can always 'phone.

Sounds OK ?

This is getting exciting! Today is my last day of work, and tomorrow we fly to London, then on to my brothers home in So Dade. the weather here in Baku is really getting nice, (75 deg F) so no looking forward to the heat!

We will find everyone at the pool bar, we will head there soon after the Muster Drill. If I can find them we will be wearing Mardi Gras beads, otherwise I will look for a British looking chap with the CC patch. Jeff - do you still look like your avatar photo?

our suite is on the 7th deck across from the laundrymat! I will let you know if we notice any vibration when we are at full throttle.

Here is another nautical photo from the local harbor:

boatforsale.jpg

you are all probably sleeping for the night, so apologies if I don't read any more posts unless I can get online at my brothers house.

Hi everyone. Susan and I are really looking forward to the trip. Unlike everyone else, we haven't begun to pack. We are the last of the last minute packers. We both look our Avatar photo (the last time I looked!), so we should be easy to spot.

-

It looks like we have lots of neighbors just down the hall - very convenient!!

-

We'll join all at the pool bar for sail away and, for additional libations, the bar outside Compass Rose around 6:30.

-

Safe travels everyone - see you in a couple of days!! Jeff and Susan

The dear wife and myself have arrived in So Dade, we are working to get over our jet lag, and had a great Cuban pork lunch!

There are a couple very happy sales people at Dadeland Mall who had lots of commission sales before 1400 hrs today! We are already over our 20kg per person luggage weight for the UK airlines. (note: if you are not flying first or business class in Europe check your airline luggage policy, they can charge as much as 8 euro per additional kilo over their limit).

See you soon!

Archived