Is There Enough Time to Make Flight?

We are booked on the Navigater out of Fort Lauderdale in December. We have an 11:30 flight for the return home also out of Fort Lauderdale. Will there be enough time on the morning of departure to get to the airport in time for the flight or should I reconsider to a much later one?

Thanks,

Carole

Ft. Lauderdale is a horrendous place on a Sunday when a few ships are in port.... We stood in line in the heat for an hour and 1/2 just to have our bags checked (they had to open and go thru each and every bag). There were quite a few ships in port at that time and they just could not handle it. If it is a Sunday I would check to see how many ships are in port that day.

We are booked on the Navigater out of Fort Lauderdale in December. We have an 11:30 flight for the return home also out of Fort Lauderdale. Will there be enough time on the morning of departure to get to the airport in time for the flight or should I reconsider to a much later one?

Thanks,

Carole

It has been my experience that FLL airport process is pretty fast and it is a short distance from the pier.

IMHO, it's good planning to also consider the other possible things that can speed up your arrival at airport. Some may or may not be applicable depending on your situation. Just some other options to consider to improve your chances.

(?) pre-book a shuttle or taxi to airport if you can.

Use express disembarkation (carry off your luggage) if you can. One of the first groups off the ship. No luggage to find in the terminal.

OR if carrying off your luggage is not for you,

Request one of the earlier luggage tag colors based on your flight time and the time you are supposed to arrive at the airport.

Print out a boarding pass ahead of time.

I had an 11:15am flight out of FLL earlier this month. Quite a few ships were in port. I used the early disembarcation (carry your own bags) to get off the ship asap. Once in the terminal where the bags are kept for the regular disembarcation, I got a porter to carry the bags and secure a cab (good tip for this guy!). He got me to a cab and I made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare.

If I had an option I would have scheduled a later flight to avoid the mad rush but making an 11:30 flight is doable.

I made a 11:40 flight out of FLL when we docked in Miami with a ton of time to spare. We were off with the first group (not self disembark). You should be fine since the airport is only about 10-15 minutes away.

We went down to the Guest Relations desk the day before we disembarked to request the Beige luggage tags so we could get off earlier. We got off the ship around 9 a.m. and made a 12:00 p.m. flight with plenty of time to spare. In fact, we probably would've been perfectly fine getting off at the time on our original luggage tags!

We were a little concerned when we got to the airport as it was really busy (it was a Saturday), but later realized there was NO reason to worry. We were absolutely fine. If time becomes an issue at FLL, just approach one of the people that are directing people in line. Maybe they can get you through the check-in process faster.

Good luck!

Archived