Your evaluation of the Shadow library

rxralph

AFAICT the library is outsourced. It's not that big, and the contents are basically hardback bestsellers. I've struggled to find anything I want to read on recent cruises. (Actually, this applies to Wind and Whisper, but I doubt Shadow is much different.) I've never understood why they don't have a paperback swap library. Not upscale enough? We travel with three bags - two for clothes, and one for the books!

RXRALPH --

I look forward to checking out new titles in the library on all 4 ships immediately upon boarding -- I always find new best sellers, new biographies, many new titles of interest, and some oldies but goodies. I welcome the opportunity not to take along a heavy book. And while on cruise -- I usually don't want to burden my brain with too much heavy info. This is a pleasure trip.

That being said -- LORD -- has access to the British Library and obviously the best of everything else because he seems so critical of most things Silversea when writing on these boards. I wonder why he continues to sail with them.

RXRALPH --

I look forward to checking out new titles in the library on all 4 ships immediately upon boarding -- I always find new best sellers, new biographies, many new titles of interest, and some oldies but goodies. I welcome the opportunity not to take along a heavy book. And while on cruise -- I usually don't want to burden my brain with too much heavy info. This is a pleasure trip.

That being said -- LORD -- has access to the British Library and obviously the best of everything else because he seems so critical of most things Silversea when writing on these boards. I wonder why he continues to sail with them.

The answer is simple,Silversea have the best ships and Seabourn the best service.This may change after the launch of Seabourn Odyssey,I will report after my voyage.

Anyway what's wrong with the best of everything,we're not here that long.

Aim low and you will always achieve it. ;)

Lord,

I like reading your contributions, you don't pull punches with your opinions and l greatly respect that. There is much in what you say that l do agree with, And much l don't. But l don't value your views any less as a result.

but they are only "your" opinions.

So, the answer is not so simple.

It is my opinion that Silversea has excellent service and excellent hardware.

Perhaps your "best" and mine are different, & l know how difficult l can be to please.

Sometimes your bias lets you down somewhat, and thats a pity, because l recon you have a great deal to offer.

Your veiled suggestion that cruising Silversea is somehow "Aiming low" does not wash.

Its like saying Seabourn is less, because its owned by the Macdonalds of the cruise industry. When we both know its a great product.

I can understand you liking the Seabourn "American, friendly, familiar" type of service.

l like my service a little more reserved and European.

That does not make me wrong, just different. And l do like the diversity that life offers...

Cheers....

Jaffa,

The aim low coment was a reference to a post by dusababy for criticising my high standards and personal aims,it was not a Silversea thing.

The thing that I like on Seabourn and Silversea is also like you,Reserved and European service and not just the American,friendly,familiar.I can see what you mean about some differences with both lines.I can say that I think it is a feel,rather than a thing that you can really put your finger on.I have also realised that the crew on both lines are very adaptable to the style of the client.ie,they are more outgoing with a jolly,loud character and are more refined with the intravert,quiet sort of person.How lucky we are to be looked after by such people that are clever and talented to fit in with us, be it loud or quiet. :)

Back to the original topic of Shadow library. You can get books both in the library (deck 8 stern) and in the Observation lounge (deck 10 bow). Try both, and there are good varieties of books and videos you can just take (borrow and return when you finish)!

Jaffa,

The aim low coment was a reference to a post by dusababy for criticising my high standards and personal aims,it was not a Silversea thing.

````````````````````````````

Jaffa --

Not to beat a dead horse......but..... I could never be critical of anyone's standards, when my own "high standards and personal aims" are exemplified by my motto --NOTHING IS TOO GOOD FOR ME. And in evaluating cruise ships, I tried all the luxury lines and Silversea is my choice.

We are talking about a "library" on a cruise ship. When on board, I'm grateful that such a nice library (not a news stand) is available for me.

Again -- it works for me.

Dusababy

Thank you for all your responses.

an aside: MEOW! I just completed reading your Panama cruise threads. I was astounded at first at your prescient, detailed observations. Then I went to the cabin description, wow. What is your line of work in real life? An auditor could not be so complete. Great work.

ralph

Archived