Civitavecchia/Athen hotels

BarCart

I couldn't find the proper place for this post/inquiry so, Mr. Moderator, please move it to its correct location if this isn't it.

Hi,

My wife and I will be departing Civitavecchia Rome on Oct. 16 and arriving in Athens Greece on Oct. 30. We are truly looking forward to our 14 day Black Sea Cruise on the Prinsendam and know from reading reviews about this ship that we will be well taken care of. The question of which hotels to book into in both of these cities still remains, however. We plan for one night only in Italy prior to departure and two nights in Athens post arrival.

If anyone can recommend places that offer a good bed, nice breakfast and easy access (especially in Athens) to "old real estate", please advise.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

BarCart

I love the Marriott, in Athens, for its roof top pool and magnificent view of the city, at night. Nothing like relaxing there with a glass of ouzo, after a hard day of pounding the pavement.

With only one night in Rome, I probably would not bother to go into the city and would book the Hilton or Mariott Coutyard, near the airport or perhaps one of the funky small hotels in Civ.

If I had more time, my favorite hotel in Rome is the ( Marriott) Grand Flora, unlike any other Marriott, anywhere. It's an old world classic and a terrific location.

Can you tell where my points are?:o

We are flying in a day prior to our cruise and going straight to Civitavecchia for the night (staying over in Rome for a couple of days after the cruise) in June. We found a B&B, Casamica for a very reasonable rate.

I plan to report on the B&B when we return. It has received mixed reports, but for the money I think we can take the one night. It is 1/2 mile from the port.

Thanks so much to all of you who took the time to respond.

I think we'll stay in the Hotel Triaino in Civ. It's just one night after arriving from a long flight but still undecided in Athens though the Plaka seems like a great spot.

BarCart

in the Plaka is great. Have stayed there twice. Can walk to many places.

Have also stayed at the Mariott, but the location is pretty remote for walking. The view is great!

The Marriott is about 15 minutes from the port and they have a shuttle to the Acropolis and city center, about a mile away.

Hotel Plaka is a more basic tourist hotel located in the heart of the Plaka.

One must do for Athens is to take in an Open Air Movie, usually on a roof top. There is one in the Plaka. The movies tend to be classics in English, with Greek subtitles. The locals eat, drink and talk back to the screen. Loads of fun.

We stayed at the Hotel Triaino for one night last October. It's fine for one night. For a fee, they will pick you up at the airport.

We had a nice clean room (very firm bed), bath was OK, A/C worked, continental breakfast was very good. They are about 3 or 4 blocks from a market if you want to buy water or anything. The main town center is 8 blocks away and an easy walk.

When you check in make a reservation for their free cruise pier shuttle.

One must do for Athens is to take in an Open Air Movie, usually on a roof top. There is one in the Plaka. The movies tend to be classics in English, with Greek subtitles. The locals eat, drink and talk back to the screen. Loads of fun.

Many years ago as a teenager, in the evening, I sat on a hill across from the Acropolis with a ship's officer and watched a son et lumiere show. It was dazzling to see the lights playing on the hill and the structure.

Does that show still exist in Athens?

Ruby

With such a short time in Athens, by all means stay near The Plaka. Such fun at night. So many restaurants to chose from; great food; fun; music; small shops; art; great fun! Enjoy. We love all the things most people complain about with Athens. It's big and loud and crowded and full of life and horns and cars and could use a good cleaning but we love it.

Have a great time.

I just love all the comments. They are/have been most helpful.

We've decided to book at the Triaino in Civitavecchia and the Plaka in Athens. We think both, given our short stay, will expose us to the "flavour" of the surroundings, especially the Plaka while the Triaino will offer a place to rest after a very long flight. Its location to the pier is also the main consideration.

Again, thanks to all.

BarCart

Archived