What is the best NCL shore excursion here?

Warmer Climes

I'm planning our next cruise and Samana is one of our ports. I am looking at the Bike, Hike and Kayak or the Caves and Mangroves by Kayak. It is DH, our 10 y.o. athletic DD and me. We are all in good shape so physical exertion is not an issue. We aren't beach people or shoppers, and since we live in NH we have watched enough whales.

It seems like this may be a port to book through the ship. Any other excursion recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

Barb

Definitely do something thru the ship. We did the jeep excursion and it was fantastic. We did do the kayak and snorkel thing in St Thomas, and I am not what you would call athletic, but it was great. I would do it again in a hearbeat. We had a wonderful time.

Our tour thru NCL was 4 to a jeep. You traveled convoy style so all the jeeps ( there were about 8 or 9 of them) were together. I don't think 5 of you would fit in one . You will probably be put in 2 jeeps, as long as there is one person in each jeep that can drive stick shift.

This was a great excursion and I am sure your kids will really enjoy this. My 18 yr old son still talks about Samana and what a great experience it was for him to really see how the other half of the world lives.

The only reason I think it would be unsafe, is because as you are driving up the winding roads, there are no guardrails along the sides of the road.

Other than that, I can't see any reason not to do it. The jeeps were in good condition and there will be at least 8 jeeps on the tour.

It was just me and my 18 yr old son, and it was a great experience for both of us. My son wished he had brought an extra pair of shoes to give to some of the kids. They are extremely poor, but super friendly and helpful. They don't really beg for money, but will open your car door for you, or help you to walk up to waterfall. I did give them a couple of dollars, so bring some singles with you to pass out if you want.

Their country is gorgeous and I think if you take your kids, they will have a different view of how other kids live. It was very educational for my son and for me too. It was way better than just sitting on another pretty beach.

We went to St. Thomas(kayak), Tortola, ( we did the baths) and this is still the place we talk about.

Good luck with your decision and have a great cruise

Sharon

Archived