Roatan shore snorkeling???

judgemom

DH doesn't swim well...Looking for the best place in Roatan to shore snorkel....

Heard that when the tides are low, the coral is blocked by boats at tabyana....

Suggestions please?

the coral is NOT blocked by boats and the reef is very close to shore at tabyana.. no boats are allowed in close to shore (besides they can't get in, the reef is too close to shore)... make sure you go to the far west end.. that's where the snorkeling is and no boats...fabulous snorkeling.. you will love it...

DH doesn't swim well...Looking for the best place in Roatan to shore snorkel....

Heard that when the tides are low, the coral is blocked by boats at tabyana....

Suggestions please?

Take a cab to half moon bay, not crowded, good reef, lots of places to rent equiptment cheap, plus places to eat. One place has carribean king crab, which is great...

On the Roatan board, someone posted that there were boats preventing people from snorkeling at Tabyana....

And really Tabyana is my first choice until I read that....Then I received this reply as to why on another board...

"There were people in boats, but they are just making sure the snorkelers do not go on the shallow water over the reef. You just have to follow the path that is marked with buoys. Once you get to the red one you can go to the left or the right. It was amazing! It was my best snorkeling yet, right on Tabyana beach! I hope to go there again one day."

I was at Tabyanna in February and it was the best snorkeling we have ever done. There was one boat that stopped at the reef nearby where we were snorkeling. This was a boat that was a shore excursion group, so I can tell you there was one boat there. It was not a very large boat it had maybe 20 people on it. The boat didn't come in too close to stir things up.:)

On the Roatan board, someone posted that there were boats preventing people from snorkeling at Tabyana....

And really Tabyana is my first choice until I read that....Then I received this reply as to why on another board...

"There were people in boats, but they are just making sure the snorkelers do not go on the shallow water over the reef. You just have to follow the path that is marked with buoys. Once you get to the red one you can go to the left or the right. It was amazing! It was my best snorkeling yet, right on Tabyana beach! I hope to go there again one day."

I got trapped in that area during the "preboat" era. It took a lot of maneuvering to find my way out. But it was fun, too.:D

The snorkeling there is excellent, rivaling Eden's rock at Georgetown.

Last time I took a snorkel trip w/Anthony's Key. That was fantastic and the boat and snorkel guides were first rate.

Archived