Traveling with birth certifiacates

lucyspals

I never had to take mine off the ship. Is this different in Nassau? If so, I would just put them in a ziplog bag at the bottom of the beach bag, but I didnt plan on taking my passports along, only the Carnival card. Also, will copies do? Make a copy and leave the original on the ship.

Getting a passport is your best bet. Be sure to read the rules on passports/ID before you go. I haven't been to Nassau since they started enforcing passports but as they are not part of the U.S. you may have to have one. I got mine a couple of years ago....the best thing I ever did as far as traveling outside of the country goes.

I have never needed my DL to get on or off the ship (once it has sailed). The only thing you insert into the slot when you are leaving or returning is your sign and sail card. I can see wanting to take your DL for ID purposes (if buying alcohol, etc.) but with that exception, why would you need to take your DL (well may be to verify credit card, if you used it in a port).

I have never needed my DL to get on or off the ship (once it has sailed). The only thing you insert into the slot when you are leaving or returning is your sign and sail card. I can see wanting to take your DL for ID purposes (if buying alcohol, etc.) but with that exception, why would you need to take your DL (well may be to verify credit card, if you used it in a port).

Some ports require picture Id before you get back on the ship.

Some of our party will be traveling with birth certificates. Looking for hints and tips on how to keep them safe (and dry) during shore excurisions. We will be spending the day at Atlantis in Nassau.

my husband had his and i had a passport.. left them in the safe on the ship.. no need to take them off the ship at all. we went to atlantis as well. . we left around 3 - 3:15 to make sure we had enough time to get back to the ship and everything.

you only need your sign and sail card and your id.. we just got a locker at atlantis and kept everything in there.. otherwise you can buy waterproof cases to wear around your neck as well.

If you happen to miss the boat while in port (negligence or medical emergency) you will need your passport to fly to the next port or home. I don't think you will get far with just a sail and sign card. I would never cruise without passports for my family. Paying for passports is just one of those expenses that go along with any vacation (insurance, tips, parking fees, spending money, passport fees, etc.).

My husband & I have passports but the kids don't. This was a last minute Spring Break trip so I am just hoping and praying we have no emergencies. Only going to Key West and Nassau so staying pretty close to home. Thank you all for you advice!

My husband & I have passports but the kids don't. This was a last minute Spring Break trip so I am just hoping and praying we have no emergencies. Only going to Key West and Nassau so staying pretty close to home. Thank you all for you advice!

Relax your not going to some far off land it's the Caribbean. If you need to fly home in an emergency it can be handled by a phone call assuming that you fly directly back to the U.S. The State Department can fax permission to fly to the airline. Remember you have already been checked by Homeland Security before you step on the ship. Your names are on the ships manifest and all of this is easily verified. You should have this number when out of the country for Overseas Citizens Services 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444). Also you should have the number for the agent that Carnival uses while in port which is listed in the Capers.

Remember that the passport rules apply to reentry to the U.S. only; most Caribbean countries will still admit Americans carrying only a birth certificate and driver's license or other primary ID.

We were just in Nassau on Saturday, and yes, you will need your driver's license or passport.

We still don't have passports, and according to the latest State Dept. notice they're not going to be required until June 1, 2009. We use our driver's license and birth certificate.

For my kids, I went to the DMV and got state issued photo id's. They look just like a driver's license and only cost $5. Plus, my kids think they're pretty cool!

For my kids, I went to the DMV and got state issued photo id's. They look just like a driver's license and only cost $5. Plus, my kids think they're pretty cool!

How old do you have to be to get one of those. I know I had one when I was 21 because I didn't drive, but could you get one if you are say 15???

Archived