Alaskan Discount Coupon Book?

mp006

I remember reading something about a discount coupon book for Alaska.

My son is honeymooning in Alaska for one week this July (rt Anchorage). Do you think it would be worth it for him to have the coupons? I'm thinking about putting together a basket of things for a shower gift, which would include Alaska essentials such as the coupon book and mileposts. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

I remember reading something about a discount coupon book for Alaska.

My son is honeymooning in Alaska for one week this July (rt Anchorage). Do you think it would be worth it for him to have the coupons? I'm thinking about putting together a basket of things for a shower gift, which would include Alaska essentials such as the coupon book and mileposts. Any other ideas?

Thank you!

The books are most valuable for a land tour, not so much for the cruise ports. If he will be on land, it could be a big savings for him, depending on what he wants to do.

Here are the links for the two available. It is best to know what you want to do, and then study each website to see which has the best coupons. Northern Lights Book is half the price of the Toursaver. So you need to study them both to get your best value.

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

http://www.toursaver.com/

We will be touring Alaska for 11 days after our cruise. I am using the coupon book extensively. Hotels, we are staying at 4 hotels in book, saving over $800.00. We like to stay in nice hotels with many amenities and services. They also have breakfast included. We are using coupons for Discovery Riverboat, Gold Mine Tour, Juneau's Mt Robert's Tram, Renown tour of Kenai National Park, Alaska Heritage Museum, ERA heliocopter glacier landing, and more. I estimate it will save us over $2000.00 for all we want to do at a cost of $99.00. It depends on your interests and how you want to travel. We are see'ers not so much do'ers. We will be renting a car from Avis in Anchorage, have a coupon!

Questions about both books.....are they both only good for 2 people (as in buy1 get 1 free) or is it good for more people in the party? If there are 3 of us it probably wouldn't help the 3rd? Or if we had 4 would we need 2 books?

Some coupons on for a percent off, but most are buy one get one free. I have the Northern Lights book and there are many duplicate coupons, so if you had a group of four you would have two coupons to use. If you check on the websites for which coupons you are interested in, you can post and ask how many of that coupon are available. My DH and I are the only ones using our book. We are going in June. I am hoping to sell it on ebay when we are done. Someone else could make good use of it.

Thank you for the info. We are not sure whether my son and/or db and sil are joining us so just thought I would ask. We are looking at 09 so we have some time. I guess the new ones come out in Nov. Just trying to set up some kind of a budget. THanks again.

I am told coupon offers vary from year to year. Since you are planning this far ahead, you will know what you want to do by November. When the books come out, you can see which book will offer you the best deal. For us, the Northern Lights was the better deal. However, if we had wanted to do a Denali flight, I believe the Toursaver would have been better. When you do get that far, read the fine print on the coupons. Some are not good throughout the summer. Some have limited times during the day that you can use the coupons. Be an informed consumer, so no surprises come your way. One other thing frequently mentioned is that you need to bring the book with you. You can't just tear out the coupons and bring them. At least that is the case with Northern Lights. Maybe someone can post if it is the same for the Toursaver.

Toursaver tip: Some participating companies stick rigidly to the terms of the coupon, and a few only honor 1 or 2 coupons per day (even though the coupon doesn't say that). OTOH, in a few cases I can't use a coupon for the tour or time listed, but they are extending a discount since I have the book. For example a 2 for 1 flightseeing is only for an 7pm flight but they give 20% off per person for any other tour or time. It's worthwhile to look at the deals online, talk to the participating companies to make sure they will honor the coupon, then buy the book when you know you will get enough discounts to justify the cost.

Archived