Another Rental option in Skagway?

butterfliesfly

I have been reading the Board for a couple of months as I plan our first cruise ever. We are going with my folks to celebrate their 50th and our 25th anniversaries in Aug of 08. Thank you to all of you for your info as it definitely helped me plan our excursions. :D

We have a group of 6 and will be renting a vehicle in Skagway. We must have a van for this as I don't think 6 of us will fit in an Impala!

I have placed a reservation with Avis for the Impala but have also rented a van from Sourdough rentals. I have read the negative comments regarding being dirty and old, but what other options does one have if we want to travel to Emerald Lake as a group and stop and see the sights along the way and Avis shows minivans as N/A. I have read that some of you got one anyway, but is there a guarantee on this?

Thanks for all your insights and help.

We also are a party of 6 on our first cruise to Alaska faced with the car rental situation in Skagway. We ended up renting the car for 4 of us and I made reservations for 2 of us with the 7 hour Chilkoot rail/bus tour. We haven't decided who is doing what yet. I plan on calling in May to make sure everything is in order for the car. I suppose if a van is available, I could cancel the rail/bus tour, but probably won't. It sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm thinking that we might meet up in some places. If not, we will just have a little bit different experience... Both ways sound great.

Archived