Emerald, Eastern Med 4 Oct

New to this site and a cruise 'virgin'.

Hubby booked this Thomson cruise which includes Ukraine/Turkey/Greece ect for 4 October (2 weeks). A cruise being his dream for many years.

Not looking forward to it, I get seasick!!:mad: Also have visions of a floating Butlins and being cold (ave temps only 17/60 degrees), nothing suitable to wear - an endless list of doubts.

Can anyone reassure me that this cruise is fantastic..........!!** Any tips/hints/suggestions? I've never looked forward to a holiday with so much dread before - please someone cheer me up with some good news. :(

Have a good supply of Stugeron and take the pills the minute you feel any hint of discomfort from sea-sickness. I tried these (which you can get over the counter at Boots) after reading many recommendations on a different forum. I get sick trying to read a map in the car but weathered a force 9 going to the Baltic last September when a lot of people were ill - but I was fine. Don't know if it's pyschological but taking the pills works for me! (At least so far!)

If you look at my question about the Calypso lower down on the forum posts you will read some reports about the Black Sea ports including one member who did your trip last year. I'm keen to try this area although I'm not sure which itinerary yet. The Emerald trip you are doing is a possiblity - it just depends on what else comes up in the meantime. Several people we met on the Spirit doing the Baltic were waxing lyrical about the ports in the Black Sea and from what they said, from never having considered this area, I'm now keen to go.

As for cruising, we'd never tried it until June 05 but have now done 6 all with Thomson - and we love it! Good food and service, excellent entertainment, waking up in a new place everyday and good value for money - enjoy it!!!!

We cruised on the Emerald at end of September 2006, not the same itinerary we did the Adriatic and the Aegean, but the weather was beautiful for 11 of the 14 days and we wore shorts and t shirts the whole time...just had some heavy rain the first couple of days when it was a bit choppy, but it was not cold. We were also in the Eastern med last October (end of) and it was in the 70 s so weather should be OK.

The secret for rough sea is to stay in the middle of the ship as low as you can go! I also feel queasy easily and we were on Deck 6 (which was the upper part of the ship) at the back and I didn't need to take any tablets (Stugeron)!! If its a bit choppy at meal times we always go down to the restaurant rather than the buffet which is up!

We have been on three of the Thomson ships so far and loved each one, the Emerald is an older ship and the style is a bit dated but we had a spacious cabin with lots of storage space, clean and comfortable. We were well looked after by our cabin steward. the food was excellent in the restaurant and the buffet...

the entertainment has always been absolutely superb on the Thomson ships ...West end style musical shows each night in the theatre(different ones on each of 12 nights with a comedian on the other two nights)...they also have quizzes and bingo if that is your thing (not ours) ...also piano type entertainment in the bars and disco/kareoke in another bar.

the good thing about cruising is that you can make it what you want...if you want to join in then you can..if you want to sit and read a book you can...if you want to stay up late you can or go to bed early...It is a wonderful way of seeing different places knowing that you have a nice place to return to at the end of the day.

When you say you have 'nothing suitable to wear' what do you mean? You can wear what you like really...there will be one formal dinner each week in the restaurant but if you 'don't do formal' you can eat in the buffet it will be more or less the same menu...but formal only means a little black dress or I usually take black trousers and various glittery tops. during the day you can be as casual as you like!!!

We were very scared the first time we cruised but we were hooked from Day One and can't get enough of them now...busy spending the kids inheritance!!!

Hope this helps to calm you a bit!!

I have sailed on Thomson several times and each time was marvellous! Once I cruised I became addicted so just take a deep breath and see what happens, I am sure you will have a wonderful time!

New to this site and a cruise 'virgin'.

Hubby booked this Thomson cruise which includes Ukraine/Turkey/Greece ect for 4 October (2 weeks). A cruise being his dream for many years.

Excellent choice, beautiful scenery. Enjoy, you'll love it.

Not looking forward to it, I get seasick!!:mad: Also have visions of a floating Butlins and being cold (ave temps only 17/60 degrees), nothing suitable to wear - an endless list of doubts.

BUTLINS, aarrgghhhhhh. No it is not, think higher :) . "Nothing suitable to wear", yes you do, think little black dress, mix n match etc. You don't need exotic ballroom dresses but if you have, flaunt it. Enjoy, you'll love it :p

Can anyone reassure me that this cruise is fantastic..........!!** Any tips/hints/suggestions? I've never looked forward to a holiday with so much dread before - please someone cheer me up with some good news. :(

You're going on a Thomson's cruise, they're all fantastic and remember it's what you make of it that will make the holiday. You'll meet fantastic fellow cruisers, the staff/crew are unbelievable and are there to help you have a fantastic holiday. Remember to keep a :D and an open mind and you will be booking next years cruise before you know it :eek:

Enjoy yourselves !!!!

Oh wow, thank you all SO much for the reassurances. Feel much relieved at reading your responses.

Wish hubby had the the 'go low' tip for rough weather before booking, someone told him 'go as high as you can' so he's booked a superior cabin no. 721 on deck 7 at the front!! Oh well, I'll stock up on the Stugeron and hope for the best.

Have been straight out 'panic buying' posher/warmer stuff to wear (with his credit card, that'll teach him) but doesn't sound like I need to worry on that score either, no need to buy a tiara and ballgown.

Hope after this I can step out from the 'I don't do cruises' brigade and become a convert too. We usually fly/drive and cram half a dozen places into our itinerary - cruising does the same without constantly packing/unpacking so it certainly has that as a massive plus.

Thanks again all.

Hello, me again. I read through this thread and have a little to add, if you want it. You've gotten excellent advice here, in my humble opinion. I agree that you will be hooked after the first cruise, especially with the one that you are scheduled to go on. I've never been to those particular ports, but was an Art and Art History major in college, and I envy you, being able to see the things in person that I've only seen in books and photos!

I had the same feelings and fears you did about seasickness when taking my first adult cruise. The first adult cruise was in the summer of 2001 from NYC up to Nova Scotia and then down the coast of New England. I was really worried about the first day at sea to NS. I talked to my physician about my worries, turns out she was an avid cruiser and gave me this advice. She gave me the patches as backup but said to try the cruise for 24 hours first without using them and just eat lightly until my stomach adjusted and get to fresh air and lie down if really necessary. According to her, that's the time it takes for your inner ear to adapt, which is why you might feel queasy. If it is still a major problem, then take the over the counter pills, still avoid the patches, as they can make you sleepy and you don't want to miss out.

By Halifax, we were all fine. If anything, I had sea legs (you walk around for a while, thinking you are still on the water, kind of amusing for me) when I was in port.

After years of car trips, packing, unpacking and whoever was driving not really getting to see the view, I was then hooked on cruising. Like another poster said, you can make it what you wish and do what you wish and relax and meet other people who love doing the same, or stay to yourselves if you wish. You get on the ship, unpack, and don't have a worry again until you have to pack back up. (Heads up here, to a newbie cruiser, they usually want your larger bags the night before you get off and plan around shore excursions, dinner, shows, etc.)

That being said, in 6 cruises, I have only never used the patches and only take them along as a security blanket (my med plan pays for them, they are pricey otherwise). I have taken ONE pill total, and I had a headache, which I think was the cause of the seasickness). If the weather is suitable, I walk the promenade as soon as I can to get my sea legs...open air and helps get your balance.

I also had the same fears of clothing that you did. I bought one dress that I wear on formal night should I want to go. I is something that I also wear to weddings, calf length, crepe and slightly beaded and not tight around the waist. For the other nights I simply wear nice pants (microfiber) and a lightweight dressy blouse. I have one beaded sweater, but really don't haven't needed it in the dining room. Some people get very dressed up, especially for pictures, but you will fit in either way. You can always skip it and go to the buffet that night, but we have found they are usually one up on the food in the main dining rooms that night.

Basic thing is not to worry and go for a nice time and make it what you want...and relax!!!!

Again, I hope this helps. Have a wonderful time and be sure to report back and post those pics so all of us can "go along" as well.

Post your questions here as they come up. People are really wonderful I have found. No question is too foolish, most had them before their first cruise so you are not alone.

Thanks cecilterwileger. I've been almost looking forward to it in recent days (after reassurance on here), but I could still kill hubby for picking 14 days instead of the 9 I'd agreed to. Still, I'll have the last laugh when he has to walk the 'tender to shore' gangplank!! (Now that I know what that means.)

Loved your comment about having a dress that isn't "tight around the waist" - that's my other concern, stuffing my face on all that food.

Have booked deck 7 (out of 8 decks) but someone said "go low" if you feel sick. Too late now if that's right so hopefully you'll be proved correct. Have bought some Stugeron (as recommended) and also have some wristbands so fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone.

Actually, I think you'll be thanking your husband for the 14 days. We started with 7 and that wasn't enough. Seems like you just get into it and get started and you have to pack and go home. My philosophy is, that if you're going to all that trouble, stay a while and enjoy it. I reread through your ports and it sounds really wonderful. I also have found that I don't gain weight really, as we walk so much when in port. I just don't like the tight feeling while I am trying to enjoy dinner. I hadn't heard of Thompson's so I had to look it up. Get's wonderful reviews, but that must be due to the British influence. We toured the British Isles last year and I loved the company both on the ship and in port. When we went on our Northern European tour a few years back, it was out of Southampton and about half were from the British Isles. Again, great fun. Have a wonderful adventure and be sure to let us all know how it went.

Another PS

This is the dress I have, to give you an example. You can see the detail of the beading if you magnify it. I have it in pink. I plan on wearing it to a formal wedding this summer.

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?ItemID=13850cd&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=SIZ&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=column%20dress&RefPage=SearchDepartment.aspx&Search1Prod=True

I'm sure you'll enjoy the whole experience, with the lovely food, welcoming staff, and lovely places to visit etc, Thomson really look after you, my first cruise started with 6 days at sea when crossing the Alantic from Tenerife going to the Carribean, but I found that was okay and haven't stopped cruising since. I always did things like that, first flight was to the Florida, jump in and enjoy.

Archived