Another Airline Bites the Dust

Buckeye Geo

As of tomorrow 4/5 Skybus will cease operations and file for Bankruptcy. Skybus was a low cost Airline operating out of Port Columbus Airport in Columbus, Oh. The airline has been in operation since May 2007. There are a lot of unhappy people in Ohio tonight and I am one of them.

As of tomorrow 4/5 Skybus will cease operations and file for Bankruptcy. Skybus was a low cost Airline operating out of Port Columbus Airport in Columbus, Oh. The airline has been in operation since May 2007. There are a lot of unhappy people in Ohio tonight and I am one of them.

I questioned their business plan from day 1. Even got into an email argument with them about not being able to take food/drink on board, it was never in their Contract of Carriage. I shared the information with a Dispatch reporter and she said she got the same sort of nasty responses. Never made the paper since the Wolfe's (Dispatch newspaper owners) were investors in this disastor.

I never flew them. Saw the writing on the wall.

20% of the flights from the airport go poof overnight after they drove some of the majors out by lowballing. Great.

We knew the risk when we booked and did opt for insurance. However, we are supposed to be in San Fran sometime Sunday as John has a speaking engagement at a conference. We are scrambling to get tickets. I have already contacted our credit card company as instructed by the email from Skybus advising us of their ceasing operations.

What to know the kicker....after receiving that email we got one telling us that we had a flight in the next 24-36 hours and provided the site and instructions for online check in.

I feel sorry for the people stranded somewhere. At least we were at home with our PC, telephones, etc. to make other arrangements. We hope that AIG will cover the increase in costs. It was not cheap to book flights to CA on short notice.

Also a Buckeye...Cindy G

Looks like all Ohioans on this thread!:D

I would be interested to know if your insurance does include bankruptcy. I guess some will not cover it.

Sorry to see SkyBus leave. Never used it but was tempted a few times.

After hearing pax getting stranded Christmas Eve because of repairs needed on their planes, I didn't think I'd want to take the chance missing a cruise! (They couldn't put those pax on the next available plane because ALL the seats were already sold out.):eek:

I don't know about you fellow Ohioans, but seems it is getting more and more difficult to get reasonable flights.

Wish I lived closer to a cruise port!! :cool: Deb C.

My Columbus-area sister and brother-in-law used Skybus once successfully to make a vacation to Hawaii really affordable ($10 tickets to San Diego), but the very next month were forced to drive to Tennessee for Thanksgiving when they found out the night before the flight that it was cancelled because the plane needed repairs. We had considered driving from Cleveland to Columbus if we could get Skybus flights somewhere interesting on the cheap, but gladly never followed through on the thought.

I had a flight booked for July. I called my CC Company and they filed a dispute and I as assured that my account will be credited. As far as AIG insurance is concerned I was told that there insurance doesn't cover bankruptcy, but they do cover additional expense occured do to cancellation of flights. In my case if I get reinbrusted from my CC Company I will have no claim from AIG. In any case since I booked the flight late March I also put a dispute against AIG to recover my $9. Life is interesting.

We flew Skybus last month to California. We were able to snag some of the $10 tickets, and everything went well. However, my daughter and grandaughter are now stranded in Ft. Lauderdale. The flight home will be very expensive and inconvenient.

My brother in law and his family bought 4 tickets on Skybus to come from North Carolina to see us in Chicago 6 days from now (ok, they are really flying up to see Oprah). They ended up rebooking on Southwest at a considerably more expensive price.

Just 2 days ago our August Hawaii plans were disrupted by ATA's bankruptcy. Fortunately our TA was able to re-book us at no extra cost on better flights through United (including a non-stop outbound flight).

My understanding is that this week there have been no less than 4 airlines who have announced bankruptcy and operation cessation--Aloha, ATA, Champion Air, and now Skybus.

Archived