Buying Rum from the Duty Free shop at the airport

emerald777

We have a nonstop from San Juan back to DC, so can we buy rum at the duty free shop and take it on the plane?? Seems I recall reading that this is OK? Anyone do this? And anyone know if the prices at the duty free store are good? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
How did you get the rum on the plane? Did you put it in your checked luggage? Just wondering how I'm gonna bring back so much rum:D

At that point you are passed security and you dont have your checked luggage....so you have to carry on any liquor you buy at the duty free shop.

Prices are very good, competitive with just about anywhere on the islands. As mentioned above, you have to carry it on to the plane, but they have nice boxes with handles, you will see dozens of people getting o the plane with them! They secure the box with a plastic tie seal type thing and you can't open it until you clear customs or arrive back in the states, depending on your destination.

Make sure you are going straight through to your final destination.

One trip, I had to change planes and of course, the other plane was in a different terminal where I would have to go through security check again.

I was NOT going to throw away my rum, so I ended up packing my duty free rum into a carry-on bag, then checking that bag before continuing onto other terminal.

Excellent advice by coquishideaway. Feel free to load up to 5 bottles per person plus, those that smoke, can add 5 cartons too (priced around 22-25/carton). That's all over and above what you may have bought on your cruise.

Heck, with some of the smoke prices in the continental states, 10 cartons per person can almost pay for a cruise (1 Intl purchased on cruise, 4 purchased in St Thomas, and 5 at SJU). At about a $20-25/carton savings that's around 250pp. Ok, not quite a cruise but not small change either...

Cool! Lots more posts! I can now answer my own question! I just returned yesterday, so it is fresh in my memory. Yes, the prices were great, you didn't have to lug all the extra weight when walking around the islands or leaving the ship, much less weight in your checked baggage if you had bought it in the islands and they provided a very nice shoulder strapped carrying bag! You don't have to worry about declaring anything at customs, it was great! We bought 4 bottles and 2 cartons of ciggies for less than ciggies would have cost.

So if you are cruising out of any foreign port, definitely wait till the return trip home and buy all your booze at the airport!

Prior to getting back on board a cruise ship, I can still purchase booze at the duty-free shop (even if they stow it away until the end of the voyage), correct? Does anyone also know what the limit is on how much can be brought back into the U.S. before getting nailed for duty charges?

Make sure you are going straight through to your final destination.

One trip, I had to change planes and of course, the other plane was in a different terminal where I would have to go through security check again.

I was NOT going to throw away my rum, so I ended up packing my duty free rum into a carry-on bag, then checking that bag before continuing onto other terminal.

Don't buy anything you aren't willing to give away if you have to. On our last trip to San Juan my husband bought an expensive bottle of liquor at the airport and carried it onboard. We arrived in Miami to change planes which should not have been a problem.....but our plane broke down and they made plans to book us all overnight at a hotel. My husband would not have been able to bring the bottle on the next day and our checked luggage was long gone. Luckily they borrowed a plane from somewhere and we made it home but he has promised never to spend that much on a bottle that we may not be able to get home in one piece again!

Good points. We're not taking a plane home, however, since we're not far from the Brooklyn Terminal once the cruise ship returns. At this point, I'm more concerned about how to avoid getting nailed with duty charges, taxes, etc., and so we're trying to figure out the best way to obtain as much booze as possible (for gifts, of course... *cough*) with the lowest possible penalties.

Good points. We're not taking a plane home, however, since we're not far from the Brooklyn Terminal once the cruise ship returns. At this point, I'm more concerned about how to avoid getting nailed with duty charges, taxes, etc., and so we're trying to figure out the best way to obtain as much booze as possible (for gifts, of course... *cough*) with the lowest possible penalties.

How many bottles do you plan to buy?

Usually they dont even bother with collecting duty if you go over your limit. Its just not worth the paperwork for the agents.

Because we have no flights to take and our cab ride is to our home, hopefully a few cases' worth of stuff, so I'm positive that we'll be examined. I'll ensure that we have receipts and all. (In the past, we only had about four bottles of stuff and they still went through all of our stuff. We were pretty amiable about it, too.) Perhaps our Brooklyn accents tip them off to something suspicious. ;)

Archived