Which insurance?

gescn

Travel insurance is not an option, but I can't decide between 2 policies: Travelex and TravelSafe. On the site that compares different policies, these 2 are very similar in price. TravelSafe seems to have higher limits, but Travelex pays primary. If someone doesn't have insurance, or their regular insurance doesn't cover these things, does that mean that TravelSafe is then the primary? Has anyone ever used either of these, and was your experience positive? Thanks!

My understanding is that Primary is the way to go. It pays first regardless of other insurance available to you. With Secondary insurance you have to go through your own health or home insurance and then the secondary will pay what these 2 policies do not.

interesting topic...I have purchased TravelSafe..in the past...never really was concerned re: secondary....(I do have other insurance)... should I worry if it is secondary...what are ramifications?

My understanding is that Primary is the way to go. It pays first regardless of other insurance available to you. With Secondary insurance you have to go through your own health or home insurance and then the secondary will pay what these 2 policies do not.

Acrawford7 is Primary the name of the company? Have you had to file

a claim with them?

I do not see this info on secondary insure on the insuremytrip website.

Does anyone know do you put claims in to insuremytrip or the insurance

company, ie aig or travelx?

acrawford is correct -- if you already have health insurance through your employer, and if you were to become sick or injured on the ship, you would first have to file the claim with that insurance. Then, after they pay, you would file with your travel insurance company, and they would then settle the claim. This is IF your travel insurance company is "secondary".

If your travel insurance is primary, (Travelex is the only one that I am aware of) then you would not have to file with your employer's health insurance first, you would file directly with the travel insurance.

If you are looking on a website that compares travel insurance policies, you have to request a quote, then select several companies to compare. Then, if you look all the way to the right, you will see a color-code key...blue for primary, yellow for secondary, pink for tertiary, etc. That's how you know if the policy is primary or secondary.

I'm not sure what the advantage is of the travel insurance policy being "primary". The only thing I can think of is that you would have less hassle and less wait if you are only having to file with that company, rather than file with your insurance first. Also, some insurances don't pay if you're out of the country (from what I'm told).

My question was intended for anyone who might have had to file a claim with either of these companies, and were there any problems in dealing with either company in regards to a claim. For a few dollars more, I could have travel insurance that is "primary", but the policy that is less expensive pays higher limits if needed.

However, if anyone learns anything along the way, then this thread won't have been wasted! I've still got MUCH to learn!:)

acrawford is correct -- if you already have health insurance through your employer, and if you were to become sick or injured on the ship, you would first have to file the claim with that insurance. Then, after they pay, you would file with your travel insurance company, and they would then settle the claim. This is IF your travel insurance company is "secondary".

If your travel insurance is primary, (Travelex is the only one that I am aware of) then you would not have to file with your employer's health insurance first, you would file directly with the travel insurance.

If you are looking on a website that compares travel insurance policies, you have to request a quote, then select several companies to compare. Then, if you look all the way to the right, you will see a color-code key...blue for primary, yellow for secondary, pink for tertiary, etc. That's how you know if the policy is primary or secondary.

I'm not sure what the advantage is of the travel insurance policy being "primary". The only thing I can think of is that you would have less hassle and less wait if you are only having to file with that company, rather than file with your insurance first. Also, some insurances don't pay if you're out of the country (from what I'm told).

My question was intended for anyone who might have had to file a claim with either of these companies, and were there any problems in dealing with either company in regards to a claim. For a few dollars more, I could have travel insurance that is "primary", but the policy that is less expensive pays higher limits if needed.

However, if anyone learns anything along the way, then this thread won't have been wasted! I've still got MUCH to learn!:)

Thanks this make a lot more since.

So when I do a compare. The only coverage which is secondary in my

lost/damaged bags and medical. With my medical insurance I have I am

covered by my insurance plan. But travelguard insurance to auto/rental

damage is a add on. So it looks like travelex is the best deal if one adds

on rental car coverage. The trip this summer I will be renting a car. So looks

like travelex is a good match.

Thanks again.

Archived