International Phone Card

Didn't find anything in search so....any suggestions as to International Calling Cards available in the U.S. that are particulalry good (as in both rate and ease of use) in Britain (and Ireland)? Ship rate on phone calls seems more than a bit excessive and we need to be able to call our daughter. Any tips on what to look for as far as hidden fees or pay phone charges, etc.... Also tips on the typical process for placing a call?

If we plan on making a couple 5 minute calls any idea what card value we should get? For instance if it is $3/minute plus $2 payphone & connect fee per call we would need $34 in value or round up to $40 and get two $20 cards. Or am I way off base? Or....would it be less to just use a phone that takes a credit card?

Had not thought of getting it there but it makes a lot more sense now that I think of it. All the ones I see here are for calling Mexico....not calling FROM Mexico. Same principle probably applies for calling from anywhere else. Thanks.

Someone told me to just buy a sim card for my cell phone when I get to London. How much do those cost?
I think that you can get them in all sorts of different sizes.

But you must make sure that your handset is compatible with the UK networks. The main networks are GSM, in the 900 and 1800 MHz bands (IIRC). If your phone isn't compatible with the system and the frequencies, then (like a radio tuned to the wrong frequency) it simply won't work even if you put in a valid SIM.

And you also need to make sure that the handset isn't locked to a particular network, although this can be cured relatively easily.

This will be my 4th summer using my AT&T cell phone. AT&T will give me international roaming, on a monthly basis, for $5.00 per month. Calls then range from approx .80 to 1.00 per minute. Never had a problem using the cell phone nor any technical problems dialing international.

We call my daughter every day at a pre arranged time. Never had a problem using the cell phone while on the ship.

Archived