Weekend train to Wismar

We are planning on taking the train from Warnemunde to Wismar and will be there on a Saturday. I assume that we can use the Schones-Wochenende (Happy Weekend) ticket. Does that ticket cover up to 5 persons the same as the Landerticket?

Also, if we board the train from Warnemunde to Rostock before 9 AM will we still need to buy single tickets for that portion of the trip or is the Weekend ticket valid for the whole day? Is is also good for the ferry?

Thanks,

We are planning on taking the train from Warnemunde to Wismar and will be there on a Saturday. I assume that we can use the Schones-Wochenende (Happy Weekend) ticket.

Schönes Wochenende is valid nationwide. It makes only sense if you are leaving the state. (35,00 EUR / non-manual/personal-sales)

So if you are travelling from North Carolina to South Carolina.

But with a ride from Warnemünde to Wismar - you would stay in "North Carolina". Therefore you can buy a "Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern" which will cover your ride. (25,00 EUR / non-manual/personal-sales)

Does that ticket cover up to 5 persons the same as the Landerticket?

You can go with 5 adults which must not be related or

2 adults and all children which are related to the family.

Also, if we board the train from Warnemunde to Rostock before 9 AM will we still need to buy single tickets for that portion of the trip or is the Weekend ticket valid for the whole day?

No if you are going on a weekend you do not have the 9 am-restrictions. It's only on weekdays.

Is is also good for the ferry?

If you are talking about the ferry in Warnemünde: no.

Maybe this is helpful for you as well:

Getting around in Wismar from train station

Have fun in Wismar!

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Thank you, HeinBloed, I knew I could count on you for the answers. So we will buy the Landerticket to get to Wismar. But now, you say the 5 people covered by the ticket can not be related? So do my husband and I each need a separate ticket? How will they know we're related or not?

And, yes, I've downloaded and printed out all your wonderfully detailed instructions on taking the train. Thank you for putting them together and sharing them.

Sorry for confusing:

If you go with any 5 persons together it's ok.

Please note the names before you use the ticket on the backside of the ticket.

If you go with 2 adults (parents or grandparents) and all children/grandchildren they must be related.

3 adults + 2 children will not occur questions by the conductor.

Same with any 5 adults.

Same with any 2 adults + 3 children.

Because less than 5 persons.

2 adults + 5 children will occur the question if all children are related to the adults.

Then it's also allowed to use the Ländertickets although you are more than 5 persons.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

Our ship docks on July 20 (Sunday) and we're looking forward to buying a Laender Ticket and seeing Schwerin, with a possibility of visiting Wismar on the return, or perhaps on to Luebeck before Rostock, then returning to the ship. I'm glad to see that it will be valid before 9:00 am as we plan to disembark as early as possible. Our ship doesn't depart until 10 pm, so it's a great day to travel off the ship after a day/night sail thru the Kiel Canal.

If I understand all the information so kindly provided, I can buy the Laender ticket from the machine at Warnemuende. I have traveled by train many times in other parts of Germany, usually with a Germanrail Pass, but other times I am stymied by the payment by machine. Will it take Euros in cash if an American-issued credit card doesn't work?

Thanks for the very detailed info already given. It's great to disembark ship and almost look as though one knows one's way around!

Our ship docks on July 20 (Sunday) and we're looking forward to buying a Laender Ticket and seeing Schwerin, with a possibility of visiting Wismar on the return, or perhaps on to Luebeck before Rostock, then returning to the ship.

Sounds like you'll be on REGATTA... and you are coming from Amsterdam...

sounds like you can get very soon after 6.00 am from board...

Following suggestion: "Kill the time" while transferring to Lübeck while all attractions are closed!!! It's Sunday morning and at this time of the day nothing has opened.

Stay onboard of the train to enjoy the landscape or sleep if you wake up too early:

dep 06.37 by S1 train from Warnemünde (platform 3)

arr 06.58 at Rostock Hbf (Central Station - platform 1)

dep 07.04 by RE 33004 from Rostock Hbf (platform 7)

arr 07.50 at Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

dep 08.02 by RE 21608 from Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

arr 08.54 at Lübeck Hbf

dep 12.01 by RE 5311 from Lübeck Hbf (platform 2)

arr 12.56 at Bad Kleinen (platform 1)

dep 13.01 by RE 33129 from Bad Kleinen (platform 3)

arr 13.13 at Schwerin Hbf

dep 16.47 by RE 33136 from Schwerin Hbf (platform 2)

arr 17.16 at Wismar

dep 19.42 by RE 33189 from Wismar (platform 2)

arr 20.51 at Rostock Hbf (platform 8)

dep 21.01 by S1 train from Rostock Hbf (platform 1)

arr 21.21 at Warnemünde

IF THIS LAST CONNECTION SEEMS BE TOO LATE AND UNSAFE: Go exactly one hour ahead!

I'm glad to see that it will be valid before 9:00 am as we plan to disembark as early as possible. Our ship doesn't depart until 10 pm, so it's a great day to travel off the ship after a day/night sail thru the Kiel Canal.

If I understand all the information so kindly provided, I can buy the Laender ticket from the machine at Warnemuende. I have traveled by train many times in other parts of Germany, usually with a Germanrail Pass, but other times I am stymied by the payment by machine. Will it take Euros in cash if an American-issued credit card doesn't work?

The newest generation might take bills and coins and change.

But next to the machine is the machine for local tickets which should accept cash.

I will pass the Kiel Canal from Hamburg to Kiel tomorrow night...

Have a great time in Northern Germany!

Willkommen in Deutschland!

Welcome to Germany!

HeinBloed

Archived