Best camcorder?

cmmarch

Anyone want to suggest a good camcorder for the designated "family photographer". I have one that is about 10+ years old - larger, tape type and I know there are smaller, newer better ones out there.

Don't need the best as will not use it a lot just for family vacations and occasions. Something easy to use......HELP!!! Thanks!:confused:

Anyone want to suggest a good camcorder for the designated "family photographer". I have one that is about 10+ years old - larger, tape type and I know there are smaller, newer better ones out there.

Don't need the best as will not use it a lot just for family vacations and occasions. Something easy to use......HELP!!! Thanks!:confused:

Hi there, I don't know much about all the brands, but 3 years ago I bought a Sony Handycam DVD camcorder and its awesome! It has a 2.7 inch touch screen and even has an "easy" button in case you are like me and are not techie oriented. I think the ones out now have much better optical and digital zoom as well as a slot for an SD card to make it easier to have removable media. I don't much care for the newer fangled hard drive versions because you basically need to download it into your computer and burn the DVD there in order to view it on your TV. I don't really recommend the older cassette versions as they are antiquated but still out there.

Good luck and happy cruising! ;)

Hi there, I don't know much about all the brands, but 3 years ago I bought a Sony Handycam DVD camcorder and its awesome! It has a 2.7 inch touch screen and even has an "easy" button in case you are like me and are not techie oriented. I think the ones out now have much better optical and digital zoom as well as a slot for an SD card to make it easier to have removable media. I don't much care for the newer fangled hard drive versions because you basically need to download it into your computer and burn the DVD there in order to view it on your TV. I don't really recommend the older cassette versions as they are antiquated but still out there.

Good luck and happy cruising! ;)

Thanks for the tip. I am on my way to store today to research it and I'll check the current Sony handycams......you are right I am not a techie. Being able to watch the video on my PC would be good....don't necessarily need TV viewing. As you can see I am doing this at the last minute as we cruise this Saturday........I will try not to make an impulse buy as I do not want to "overbuy" and plan to use only for vacations, kids concerts/occassions, etc.:)

Thanks for the tip. I am on my way to store today to research it and I'll check the current Sony handycams......you are right I am not a techie. Being able to watch the video on my PC would be good....don't necessarily need TV viewing. As you can see I am doing this at the last minute as we cruise this Saturday........I will try not to make an impulse buy as I do not want to "overbuy" and plan to use only for vacations, kids concerts/occassions, etc.:)

Well obviously check out what is on sale then. Also you might want to check out www.cnet.com for camcorder reviews that are a bit more subjective. The hard drive DVD camcorders tend to be a bit more expensive but if you like watching your videos on the PC then I would go this route. And plus you don't have to deal with buying DVD's. They've really come down in price so many of them are not much more expensive than digital cameras nowadays! Have fun! By the way, Sony has their own digital cards (Memory Stick) which may not be compatible with your other digital cameras in terms of switching back and forth (not SD as I posted earlier), so you might want to take that into consideration as well.

Archived