Just back from the 4/6 - 4/13 toooooo!

marlinmike

As you can see from my signature, I've been aboard her a few times before and she is in great shape. I would say she is in better shape now than she was the last time I was aboard.

I will say one thing - I've never been on a cruise that had better weather than we had on this cruise - warm, but never too hot, no humidity, no rain - EVER - and the biggest waves we saw were our own wake!

We had a blast! We decided this time to not bring/rent formals and ate at Sterlings the first formal night and had an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the second. (We just didn't want to dress up this time - and it was FUN).

I spoke with a bartender at the Atrium bar during the cruise. She was scheduled to work onboard during the drydock - now she's working her normal bartending job. I asked her if she thought they were going to do the remodel of the atrium area at sea and she said a resounding NO - can't be done. She said they probably won't do it now for quite awhile now. I also asked several others what they thought about the 3 & 4 dayer's and they mostly shrugged their shoulders and said 'no big difference'. The only people it'll affect are those that handle the luggage and they were hoping for a reduction of packing for the shorter cruises, but thought there probably wouldn't be a 50% reduction in the baggage.

Any questions ask away!

Marlin

So are you saying that you can wear casual attire in the specialty restaurants on formal nights. I plan to skip the dress cloths too. Can you please confirm.

Thanks.

Was going to ask this also. Thought even the specialty restaurants were formal on formal nights? Hope you're right, because our next cruise after the CB in May, we have decided not to do formal!!

Can I ask how much the UBD is per person? I have read 25pp and 50pp.

Thank you!

Glad you had a great time!

Jixjix635 - UBB (breakfast) is $25pp. They drop off a tray of items and spit of champagne.

UBD (dinner) is $50pp with personalized waitstaff and a multi course meal.

Enjoy your cruise.

As you can see from my signature, I've been aboard her a few times before and she is in great shape. I would say she is in better shape now than she was the last time I was aboard.

I will say one thing - I've never been on a cruise that had better weather than we had on this cruise - warm, but never too hot, no humidity, no rain - EVER - and the biggest waves we saw were our own wake!

We had a blast! We decided this time to not bring/rent formals and ate at Sterlings the first formal night and had an Ultimate Balcony Dinner on the second. (We just didn't want to dress up this time - and it was FUN).

I spoke with a bartender at the Atrium bar during the cruise. She was scheduled to work onboard during the drydock - now she's working her normal bartending job. I asked her if she thought they were going to do the remodel of the atrium area at sea and she said a resounding NO - can't be done. She said they probably won't do it now for quite awhile now. I also asked several others what they thought about the 3 & 4 dayer's and they mostly shrugged their shoulders and said 'no big difference'. The only people it'll affect are those that handle the luggage and they were hoping for a reduction of packing for the shorter cruises, but thought there probably wouldn't be a 50% reduction in the baggage.

Any questions ask away!

Thanks for the mini review, from another poster he states that the CB is now scheduled for dry dock around Jan 1st. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=759023

Glad you had another great cruise Mike. Doing Carnival this year instead of Princess - got a great deal too good to pass up. Leaving in 37 days on the Carnival Miracle for 8 days out of NYC.

No. Any of the dining rooms, the dress is formal. If anything, I have found the specialty ones a little more formal than the other dining rooms.

Non-formal would be buffet area

The OP, as well as others I read indicate that casual dress is permitted in both specialty restaurants on formal nights. If that's not true, then why were they permitted to dine in Sterlings dressed causually on the first formal night.

Sorry – I was away for a couple of days…..

Can I ask how much the UBD is per person? I have read 25pp and 50pp. Thank you! Glad you had a great time!

The UBD was $50pp and was WELL worth it, especially with the evening. The sunset was absolutely beautiful. The waiter even commented it was one of the best he’s seen and he’s been doing them for 5 years. It’s nice to see the sun drop off the edge of the earth – no mountains, trees, buildings, pollution – nothing to get in the way.

So are you saying that you can wear casual attire in the specialty restaurants on formal nights. I plan to skip the dress cloths too. Can you please confirm. Thanks.

That’s correct. In fact, most of the people in Sterling’s were not in formal wear. We wore Dockers and a nice shirt and our wives were “Smart Casual” also :o) and we were NOT out of place. When walking through the photo area, however, we were out dressed – but there were several that changed by then.

No. Any of the dining rooms, the dress is formal. If anything, I have found the specialty ones a little more formal than the other dining rooms. Non-formal would be buffet area

Hhhmmmmmm………. Musta been another cruise…………

Thanks for the mini review, from another poster he states that the CB is now scheduled for dry dock around Jan 1st.

That’s probably when they’ll do it then.

Glad you had another great cruise Mike. Doing Carnival this year instead of Princess - got a great deal too good to pass up. Leaving in 37 days on the Carnival Miracle for 8 days out of NYC.

Hi Debbie,

I will be interested to see your comparison. You know how I like the Grand class Princess ships. Keep in touch. Do you still know my email address?

Good to hear from you and Bon Voyage!

Mike

Hi Debbie,

I will be interested to see your comparison. You know how I like the Grand class Princess ships. Keep in touch. Do you still know my email address?

Good to hear from you and Bon Voyage!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I don't believe that I have your email address. Mine is my screen name at aol.com if you want to send it to me.

We picked the Miracle because she has consistently great reviews and we got a tremendous deal on her. I have been on 4 Carnival cruises before taking our two Princess ones but I have never sailed on this class of ship. It will be interesting to switch back now and try Carnival again. Will let you know how it goes.

No. Any of the dining rooms, the dress is formal. If anything, I have found the specialty ones a little more formal than the other dining rooms.

Non-formal would be buffet area

This is totaly incorrect. We were on the Dawn last month and there was no one in the Sterling with even a suit on. I wore a pair of slacks and a nice golf shirt. On our way back to our suite we went through the Pizza place and there was one gentleman that had open neck shirt with a sportcoat on.

This is totaly incorrect. We were on the Dawn last month and there was no one in the Sterling with even a suit on. I wore a pair of slacks and a nice golf shirt. On our way back to our suite we went through the Pizza place and there was one gentleman that had open neck shirt with a sportcoat on.

Great thanks. I will make my reservation in Sterling's for the first night. This is, after all, a vacation - not a fashion show!!

I obviously stand corrected. To be quite honest I'm not one that really pays attention to others (unless she's good looking:)). On Formal nights we dress up for each other, not others.

Archived