Mini Suites: Please Offer Advice, So Many To Choose From

Bishopcfd

Greetings,

My wife and I are going to cruise next year. We are looking at the "mini suite" category on the Crown Princess (Princess-Dolphin Deck), Norwegian Dawn (NCL-Deck Eleven), Westerdam (HAL-Navigation Deck), Eurodam (HAL-Upper Verandah Deck) and maybe a Celebrity cruise (unknown ship).

I need opinions if possible. Assume that the prices, locations on the ships, etc are all the same. What would you choose? If anyone decides to reply could you answer this based upon check in, amenities, size, cleanliness, smoke odor (if applicable), etc. It is just so tough to decide. I know that crews and food can vary but the rooms don't. Just trying to make good choice.

Thanks

I cannot offer any comparisons between Princess and the other lines but a Dolphin Deck mini-suite on Crown Princess offers a spacious balcony size of 9 ft. wide x 7 ft. deep but, Dolphin deck does not have any overhead ceiling cover on their balconies. For that, you would need to book a Category AD mini-suite on Emerald Deck. If you can get it, the last Emerald Deck Category AD mini-suite going aft on Crown Princess (cabins # E730 and E731) have extra wide balconies (about 18 ft. wide in total). They are highly sought after due to the large balcony size....

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!

We booked E731 based on what we read on cruise critic.

google : Crown Princess E731 or Crown Princess E730 will get you tons of hits.. including reviews and Photos.

change the name of the ship to Caribbean Princess E731 will get more photos.

For the same money as the rest== this balcony is the way to go.

Both of these suites are booked for our Cruise Critic group cruise on the crown for February 2009.

Dolphin deck is opened to the decks above. Try to get a mini on the Emerald deck-- the one next to me is available.

I've only been on two cruises but I had a mini suite on each of them. The HAL mini suite is far superior to the Princess mini suite. The bed\s on HAL are incrediblely comfortable. The bed on Princess was terribley hard and very uncomfortable.

The larger bathroom on HAL had two sinks and separate bathtub and shower. The bathtub was a jacuzzi tub too!

The HAL mini suite has a flat panel tv with dvd player. The Princess mini suite has two small tvs but I was happier with the flat panel on HAL. The veranda on HAL is larger and the furniture is much nicer too. Its a faux rattan, but looks classier, where the Princess is simply just "plastic".

The room service menu is far superior on HAL to Princess. The selections are larger and more items are free on HAL. You can even order a hot breakfast served on your veranda with HAL. Princess only offers cold, continental breakfasts. I would write "eggs benedict" on the menu left in my room the night before and have it delivered at 8:30 every morning with juice, hot chocolate and bacon. Eggs benedict isn't even on the menu but it always arrived. Overall, I like the mini suite experience on HAL better than Princess, but Princess was ok just not as good as HAL

Thanks for the replies. With that said, no one compared Princess to the other lines I mentioned. No problem but I will ask questions then pertaining to the Crown Princess Mini Suites.

Mini Suites On The Emerald Deck:

1). Are all 12 suites located on the Emerald Deck all covered?

2). Stupid question. Why would I care about a balcomy being covered? The reason I ask is that my two most recent cruises (RCL and NCL), the balcony rooms we had, the balconies were covered

3). Someone mentioned that E731 and E730 had large balconies. Is this true for all E Deck Mini Suites (E720 thru E731) or just these two mini suites?

4). If I choose an E Deck Mini Suite, it looks like they are all toward or at the aft of the ship. How are these rooms affected by engine noise and motion of the ocean? (The answer would apply if we were fortunate to be upgraded to a suite with balcony)

5). How large does the Mini Suite feel? The book states they are 323 sq ft including balcony. Obviously the picture of the Mini Suite makes it look large. How does the size compare to the highest level of balcony staterooms?

6). Cigarette smoke or cigar smoke in the rooms. I am a non smoker so I have a nose for smoke. How well do they clean the rooms after a smoker has been in there? How do you think the no smoking cabin policy on Celebrity will effect Princess?

7). Any other amenities that you folks can think of that are included within the mini suite that I should be made aware of, please let me know.

Northern,

You must have been posting while I was writing. I appreciate your response. When comparing room size, did you feel that HAL had a larger feel to their mini suites versus Princess? How about amenities for each room? Did one have more than the other? Any other things you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks

I cant compare the other minis as I havento sailed those ships.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/561572662IgRTfG

some photos of E731 can be found here

an uncovered balcony:

2505348950094389679okmzQw_th.jpg

if you see photos of the side of the ship you will see two balconies on either side that extend past the regular balcony wall:

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/v/cabins/Balconies/Princess/Diamond+Princess+E731+and+D737+Balcony/Diamond+Princess+E731+and+D737+Balcony.JPG.html?

the one on the dolphin deck is exposed- the one on the emerald deck is covered since the above balcony is above.

291057453GUzZbH_th.jpg

the balcony is somewhat extended :

290537131kddort_th.jpg

with this balcony i can see the view on the aft of the ship-- which is my favorite place to be.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72863&d=1205381415

i can see out the side== and out the back.

6). Cigarette smoke or cigar smoke in the rooms. I am a non smoker so I have a nose for smoke. How well do they clean the rooms after a smoker has been in there? How do you think the no smoking cabin policy on Celebrity will effect Princess?

dont think the celebrity/royal policy will affect other cruiselines.

Carnival has tried it-- it didnt work.

All cabins are smoking. If you get into a cabin and it reeks even a little ask the steward to clean it more. What ever they use on the ship-- they should put it out there for the general public since the stuff they use is fabulous.

Cigar smoking is not allowed in cabins at all.

For my next cruise on the Star Princess, I did find out about the covered balconies on the Emerald Deck. That is something else I forgot to mention in my previous review. I did NOT like the fact that the mini suites on Princess are not covered at all. They are all on the Dolphin deck and the passengers from the three upper decks above you can all look down on your balcony. So, no privacy at all. But I did find out about the rear mini suites on the Emerald deck and all those balconies are covered and the last mini suite on these Grand Class ships have larger, wrap around balconies and was just posted here. I reserved E729 on the Star Princess which is the last aft mini suite with the larger balcony so I think I'll be happy with that.

All rooms are smoking rooms and people can also smoke on their balconies. I am not a smoker and find the smell of smoke distasteful, but there's nothing you can do about it. I do bring a bag of potpourri with me and put it in little saucer plates in my room and bathroom and that seems to get rid of the smoke odor.

Princess offers future cruise credits so for only $100, you can reserve a future cruise, pay $100 deposit per person and then not pay anymore until the final payment is due. And if you decide

All rooms are smoking rooms and people can also smoke on their balconies. I am not a smoker and find the smell of smoke distasteful, but there's nothing you can do about it. I do bring a bag of potpourri with me and put it in little saucer plates in my room and bathroom and that seems to get rid of the smoke odor.

David- you should not have to do that with Potpourri- if your cabin smells at any time ask the steward to "refresh" the cabin. if the smell is still there- ask the pursers desk if the cabin can be switched up-- meaning blankets, pillows etc to be changed.

i read about how people jsut suck it up because they think what they get is how it is== not the case.

The powers that be=- dont know there is a problem unless its brought to their attention.

We jsut dont realize how many people wait til they get home and call the head offices to complain== when in fact they should had it taken care of in the first place.

Sometimes all it takes is a quick clean and a once over with their ionizer.. if that dont work--- they change out the bedding. Dont suffer with the smoke smell-- get it taken care of..

Archived